Profile for HoraceAndrews > Reviews

A to Z of Almost Everything
A to Z of Almost Everything
by Trevor Montague

5.0 out of 5 stars Quizplayer's bible bigger and better than ever, 22 Dec. 2013
I think this is the best value encyclopaedia on the market and for £30 put's the vastly inferior (and over-priced at £50) Whitaker's to shame. I am always amazed at how Trevor Montague manages to give each section a different feel from previous editions but on this occasion he has totally revamped the whole book to produce it in A4 size thus making it easier to open and to read. I must confess a bias here as I notice my suggestions for additions to his Crime and Punishment section have been actioned although I did understand why Donald Nielson was not included whilst he was still living - other living convicted murderers are now included though so a change of thought must have taken place. I have only had the book a week so have not managed more than a cursory glance and have only really concentrated on the geography section but I do find the layout very easy on the eye. Congratulations on yet another magnificent book.

Whitaker's Almanack 2014
Whitaker's Almanack 2014
by -

1.0 out of 5 stars over-priced and under-value, 22 Dec. 2013
As I wandered through the book I no longer felt the thrill of unearthing something unique as so much of the book is a recycling of last year's offering. The astronomy section is particularly poor with so much irrelevant information and the Countries of the World section is disjointed with ad hoc historical timeline depictions (as per Sweden entry)replacing a proper History sub-section as if by after-thought. Some of the plates seem pointless too with a page on Nobel Laureates by nationality! and two pages of Governmental Departmental Budgets which would be described in two lines of the vastly superior A to Z of almost Everything. The comparison with that weighty tome is my biggest bugbear however. How can Whitaker's justify a £50 price tag for such a small encyclopaedia whilst the far larger (A4 this time around)and more informative A to Z of Everything remains at £30. I remember 10 years ago both these books were priced at £30 so how has Trevor Montague managed to keep his price the same whilst Whitaker's increases £5 every year?