Profile for P. Rocker > Reviews

Content by P. Rocker

P. Rocker (UK)

Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)
Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)
Offered by zoverstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 April 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game is driving a Porsche to work, it's the blonde bombshell at the bar, it's having a swimming pool in your back garden, or drinking champagne. A beautiful, yet ultimately shallow experience. I so badly wanted this to be a five star game, but unfortunately the world which Square have created for this latest incarnation of the series is far too narrow to really make the experience shine. Even the 'expansive' Gran Pulse feels about the size of a football field, and at every turn where I was expecting things to finally open up into something really interesting we are met with yet another corridor-shaped level, traversable with such mind-boggling puzzles as "press A" and... "press A"...

But wait, still worth four stars? Yes, and I'll explain why:

The 'crystarium' system of character stats is one of the most fun ways I've encountered of levelling up in any RPG (albeit lacking in depth)

The battles are fast-paced and genuinely exciting, and people who complain about auto battling should remember the days of having to manually queue up the 'attack' command thousands of times...

The back story of the whole world is thick and well populated (and I think Square have been playing some Mass Effect recently)

The characters are actually likeable(!) and the romance scenes have little trace of the usual JRPG awkwardness we might expect from an FF title

Grinding is now actually fun thanks to the numerous "missions" provided for us; maxing out characters is now finally accessible to mere mortals like me

And most importantly of all, whether you choose to complete the game in 40 hours or 60, I guarantee that you will be thoroughly entertained throughout despite all the flaws. I pretty much lost the month of March to this game, so there really must be something good going on here!

Such a pity that the wonderful presentation of FF13 couldn't be matched in scale by the game world itself.

Cowboy Bebop Collection Box 1 [DVD]
Cowboy Bebop Collection Box 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shinichirô Watanabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Anime at its best, 10 May 2007
What a fantastic series! The mix of action, comedy, romance, complex back-stories and so forth is spot on, the soundtrack is fantastic, and there isn't a dull episode (even those that don't seem to advance the plot in any way are great in their own right). For me the highlight of this box is the two-part "Jupiter Jazz"- at the same time strange and very moving. Any fans of sci-fi in general should check this out right away.

Unfortunately I had to knock off a star because there are NO extras, except a few trailers from the publisher. Even if you're not that interested in your bonus features, for one of the most popular anime series this is pretty unforgivable!

Saosin
Saosin

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, but still not Translating the Name, 28 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Saosin (Audio CD)
Saosin's first EP blew me away, and was solely responsible for opening my ears to 'Emo' as a genre. Their second set of songs, minus I think the brilliant vocalist from the first, in contrast left me a bit cold. And now we (finally!) have a full length album. On first listen I was reminded pretty strongly of Funeral for a Friend, which is a good thing, but something also keeps saying 'Angels and Airwaves', who are a great band in their own right but... the phrase "watered down" springs to mind.

Overall, a great album, and a must have for any fans of Alexisonfire, FFaF et al, or even My Chemical Romance. But I'm still waiting for the next Translating the Name, and this isn't it.