Profile for A. Parsons > Reviews

Content by A. Parsons

A. Parsons (South England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick
The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick
by Richard J Johnson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good info about sugar but I would skip the diet myself!, 13 Mar 2011
First, I must say that this book is very readable and although it repeats it's self often, I did enjoy reading it. There is a lot of good information on sugar and a little on artificial sweeteners too. I have personally lost a lot of fat by removing HFCS, processed food and chemicals from my diet and cutting right back on sugar, but I did do this before I read this book.

Reading up to about page 200 was very interesting and learning about uric acid and purines may now help me lose even more weight, but I can't say I liked the look of the diet recommended in this book. For a start I think it is too low on protein and I can't believe that artificial sweeteners are recommended along with diet fizzy drinks and ice lollies and cakes and biscuit. I completely understand that they are low in fructose but I think this book is missing half the story.

There is no mention of harmful additives, chemical pesticides and the information about artificial sweeteners is very limited. I would of liked to see more info on eating a clean, organic, natural-diet but instead the book talks about medicine like statin's!

One thing that I really DON'T understand is that if glucose does not raise uric acid and lead the way to metabolic syndrome then WHY did the book not recommend to used glucose (as I do myself) but instead recommends aspartame!

In my opinion there should of been more emphasis on exercise, lowering calories and drinking lots of water and cutting out all un-natural foods including -but not limited to- HFCS. I think there is a lot of good information in this book but don't just read this and think you have learned all there is to know about dieting or the biochemistry of fructose.

I have given 3 stars because as I said, it's very readable and I have learned a lot about sugar and uric acid and also the fact that the book is about trying to take back our health. I would recommend anyone to read this book (overweight or not), but do some extra research online about artificial sweeteners, MSG and preservatives as well and you are sure to lose some weight.

World Of Flavours Italian Pizza Stone Set
World Of Flavours Italian Pizza Stone Set
Offered by MightyHousewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should., 10 Feb 2011
Can't really add much that hasn't aready been said apart from I am now making the best Pizza I have ever made!

GREAT!! :)

Buy, Buy Baby: How Consumer Culture Manipulates Parents and Harms Young Minds
Buy, Buy Baby: How Consumer Culture Manipulates Parents and Harms Young Minds
by Susan Gregory Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone (not just parents) should read this book!, 10 Feb 2011
This book is very informative and I have learned a great deal about marketing that applies not only to my children's first few years but also to my whole families everyday life. I too will "never look at mickey mouse the same again" and I am now always on the look-out for marketing and advertising aimed at my young children.

I have also conducted some simple experiments with my own children and TV and it appears that they don't really learn anything from it apart from "character recognition". That is evident every time we are in the supermarket!

A great book, well written and essential in the great fight against consumerism.

Glass Piao I Tea Pot Infuser, 1000ml
Glass Piao I Tea Pot Infuser, 1000ml
Offered by Canton Tea Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely teapot., 11 Jan 2011
Does what is says. It looks good and works well. Easy to clean and seems to be quite tough too!

thermo sensor
thermo sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy - Seems to work great!, 11 Jan 2011
This review is from: thermo sensor (Kitchen & Home)
I have used this a few times and it seems to work fine. Before I would always 'over-cook' my meats but now its easy to know when its done.

Easy to set up/use.

TensCare Touch TENS Pain Relief Machine
TensCare Touch TENS Pain Relief Machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price., 11 Jan 2011
My wife used this for her second pregnancy and it seemed to be as good as the one we previously rented from Boots, but this is a better deal as you get to keep this one after!

All wires and pads were included.

Slumbersac 2.5 Tog Baby Sleeping Bag Cartoon Animal - 12-36 Months
Slumbersac 2.5 Tog Baby Sleeping Bag Cartoon Animal - 12-36 Months
Offered by Slumbersac Trading Co Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great experience but the company was easy to deal with., 11 Jan 2011
I'm afraid I can't rate this sleeping bag to high as after only one night the stitching that holds the zip on feel out! The sleeping bag it's self was OK, but I guess we had a faulty one.

The company was easy to deal with and gave us a full refund including postage.

Canon KP108IP 10x15 KP-108IP Value cartridge pack - 108 Prints with Post-Card logo on reverse,  CP-100 CP-200 CP-300 CP-220 CP-330 CP400 CP500 CP600 CP510 CP710
Canon KP108IP 10x15 KP-108IP Value cartridge pack - 108 Prints with Post-Card logo on reverse, CP-100 CP-200 CP-300 CP-220 CP-330 CP400 CP500 CP600 CP510 CP710
Offered by AV-ELECTRONIX GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 7 May 2010
I have used a couple of packs of this and haven't had any problems. I like printing in my home and the quality is pretty good too. I haven't really looked at the price recently so don't know if they are still worth getting or not but when I run out of my current pack I will be looking at this again.

Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader
Integral USB 2.0 Single Slot SD Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine., 7 May 2010
This is a simple little SD reader and does the job it has to do. It seems plasticky (it is) and cheapy (it is) but it works great.

Apple iPod nano 8GB black
Apple iPod nano 8GB black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but sometimes have problems., 7 May 2010
It looks nice, feels nice and plays fine (usually) but sometimes have problems switching it on and it doesn't want to start. It's interemittent but is annoying sometimes. Maybe it's something to do with how long it's been left off?

Anyway, it's an ipod and Im guessing most people know what that is. This one is small and sleek and does the job.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8