Profile for 24229540 > Reviews

CSA - The Confederate States Of America [2004] [DVD]
CSA - The Confederate States Of America [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Greg Kirsch

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - but, 25 Nov 2013
Nice idea - but it never develops or goes anywhere!
Plot, storyline, action - all missing.
Pity with a lot more thought the concept could have been good.

Spanish Civil War Tanks (New Vanguard)
Spanish Civil War Tanks (New Vanguard)
Price: 8.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Proving ground for blitzkrieg - or not?, 28 April 2013
In the standard paperback format of Osprey this tome has 48 pages, containing text, 40 photos (b&w inevitably), 8 pages of colour drawings, including a cutaway of a T26.
He starts with a review of world tank technology & history at the outbreak of the SCW. Then a brief exposition of the state of tanks in Spain, or more accurately AFV, as he covers protegido camion. An explanation of the complex history leading to the outbreak of the SCW and then into the opening stages of the war, with particular discussion on the supply and use of AFV. He finishes with a section on the lessons of the Spanish Civil War, where intriguingly, but also correctly (in my opinion, at any rate) debunks the cliche which forms the subtitle of the book.
You wanna know more - buy the book and read it.
An excellent overview of the subject, necessarily brief, but I think that it just about covers everything you really need to know - and if you want more then check the "Further Reading" pages.
An excellent buy for all enthusiasts of the subject, and particularly for the new student

Tanks of Hitler's Eastern Allies, 1941-45 (New Vanguard)
Tanks of Hitler's Eastern Allies, 1941-45 (New Vanguard)
by Steven J. Zaloga
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Primer, 28 April 2013
This is not to belittle this work.
It covers all of the obvious german allies, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Finland, Italy and Bulgaria - and then adds in Croatia and Russia.
Given the Osprey Vanguard format the text is necessarily brief, but I still found myself noting detail that I was unaware of (I have been intrigued by this area of study since acquiring Mr Z's work, co-authored with James Grandsen, The Eastern Front, back in the 1980s). Once I did raise my eyebrows in mild disagreement, but with a few seconds reflection I realised that Mr Z, as usual, is perfectly correct, and I was being a rivet counter! What the volume does do is to draw the threads of the different nations together.
Many of the photographs are old hat, but then there is a distinctly limited source body, and there are a number previously unknown to me, notably a TACAM T60 apparently in field service - most photos I have seen are of empty vehicles, or parading through, presumably, Bucharest.
I certainly commend this book to any new student, and for any mature student, given the modest price I still say "if you ain't got it, you ain't serious".

The Chaco War 193235 (Men-at-Arms)
The Chaco War 193235 (Men-at-Arms)
by Alejandro de Quesada
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gran Chaco - What War?, 27 Nov 2011
The answer!
I have seen this war described as an "obscure little war", and, perhaps from my standpoint, an English speaking European, that is an understandable description. From the perspective of the protagonists, suffering 90000 casualties over 3 years and with consequences that do carry through today over 75 years later, I doubt that this is acceptable.
In Osprey's standard A4 slim paperback format this work does not go into tiny detail, but it does, I feel, give enough that I have a very much clearer oversight of this war, its historical context, the actions, and the outcomes - and, of course, I now have a list of reference works to address if I wish to go deeper, which I may well do.
My "draw" into this bit of history is my interest in the Vickers 6 Ton Tank, and they were deployed , albeit in tiny numbers, alongside an even smaller detachment of Carden-Lloyd tankettes, in the first instance of armoured warfare in the Americas. Given the overall context of the war, their actions are covered at surprising length and detail.
I strongly recommend this book to students of military history.

The Battle for China: Essays on the Military History of the Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945
by Mark R. Peattie
Price: 40.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A long, hard, but highly informative read., 12 Nov 2011
I chose to read this book because of my lack of understanding of what is probably the longest underlying element of WW2 and as a background to my own are of interest, AFVs of the 30s. Reading it emphasised my lack of base knowledge of the subject area, and I had to regularly refer to maps, and wish, in retrospect, that I had developed a list a of "personae dramatis".
I feel that I now have a much improved comprehension of the global strategic setting of Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945, and of the strategy of the war itself, with a new view on the combat effectiveness of both armies.
I was particularly taken with the chapter looking at the morale and motivations of the IJA, particularly at the combat soldier level - thought provoking, having been exposed to the western belief of the bestial savagery of the IJA.
I tahnk the authors, and edtiors for their efforts, and commend this book to any student of history of WW2 (and before and after).

Fortress of War [DVD]
Fortress of War [DVD]
Dvd ~ Evgeniy Tsyganov
Price: 8.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Russian Cinema is improving!, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: Fortress of War [DVD] (DVD)
Just acquired Fortress of War - a russian film of the taking of the Fortress of Brest Litovsk, June 1941.
You can see the "heroic" overtones of soviet cinema, but very restrained.
Some "rivet counter" issues (ZIS 5 with wooden cab - 1941? and in the same time frame, german infantry with ankle boots and gaiters?) but the detail on the soviet uniform and equipment, to my educated but not expert eye looks first rate.
My first sight of a Pz III, through the smoke of battle, left me quite clear what it was intended to be, but unsure of the chassis. I'll let you ponder it!
Certainly good watching.

Russian Armored Fighting Vehicles: World War II AFV Plans (World War II Afv Plans)
by George R. Bradford
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars WWI Russian AFV plans, 19 Sep 2011
I have just come into possession of this book. Over 70 sets of vehicle plans, in most cases a minimum of 4 views, and using a shading system to emphasise shape, this volume covers most of the major vehicle types of the 30s, through to 1948 (BA 27 to IS 7). A number of photographs (some of them new to me) are reproduced to round out the subject.
The plans come in a variety of scales, but since a list of conversion factors is also supplied there is no need to worry about the scale presented.
If you are interested in the history of Armoured Fighting Vehicles, and particularly as a modeller, then George Bradford's AFV Plans, whilst not a particularly good "read", are a must for your library.