Profile for Grum > Reviews

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One
Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One
by Jim Butcher

1.0 out of 5 stars School boy stuff, 20 Feb 2009
The Dresden Case Files came highly recommended, but unfortunately I found Storm Front to be pretty poor.

The writing lacked character depth and atmosphere. To me it reads more like a wordy diary and not really for consumption by anyone other than the author. Also, I found that while the magical ideas and events were inventive, they are written in such a way as to not create suspension of disbelief. Without suspension of disbelief, the story became very tedious. In fairness, I think the book may appeal to younger readers (teenagers?) or those that like "boys own" style writing.

I only read half of Storm Front before loosing interest to the extent I forgot I about it. I won't be trying another Dresden Case File.

Bande A Part
Bande A Part
Price: 8.63

4.0 out of 5 stars More excellent bossanova music, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: Bande A Part (Audio CD)
Like Nouvelle Vague's first self titled album, Bande A Part continues the fabulous bosswanova style covers of unlikely tracks. If you're familiar with the originals, the covers bring a whole new lease of life to them by being in such a different style that they can be played in a completely different context. Ignoring expletives in the lyrics, the covers are ideal for interesting background music to gatherings like dinners with any guests. If the guests also know the originals, so much the better. Many family and friends have heard these played in the background and wound up buying a copy for themselves.

I would have given Bande A Part 5/5, except it's a bit too much more of the same as the first album. If you have neither, I highly recommend either, but you probably only need one of them, so pick which ever one has the most covers that are familiar and liked by you.

Went to see Nouvelle Vague playing live recently and loved it. If you like the disks, seeing them live is a must if ever possible.