Profile for S. J. Ware > Reviews

Content by S. J. Ware

S. J. Ware "Stephen" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Little World of Don Camillo
The Little World of Don Camillo
by Giovanni Guareschi
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime reading, 22 Oct 2013
These are beautiful beautiful stories.

They tell of life in an Italian village on the banks of the River Po, coping with grinding poverty in the aftermath of the Second World War. The two main protagonists are deadly political enemies, the Communist mayor and the parish priest. Both characters are strong and admirable, but magnificently flawed. They are built like tanks, squabble and abuse each other, sometimes physically, but - here's the key - they love each other to bits, though neither would dream of admitting it. The reader isn't expected to take sides - moral victory can go either way.

The stories are short, perfect for bedtime, told in economical prose that is so skilfully written that you don't notice how good it is. There is love hate fear and death, but above all wonderful quiet humour. After each one, even when you have read them all a dozen times, you will either wipe a tear from your eye or chuckle yourself to sleep.

There are stories in this book never before translated to English - which is why I bought it. The translation is new, and (to an afficionado) a bit like the NIV Bible after the King James version. I prefer the old version, but there, I've been reading these stories for 50 years.

(Added later) On more reading I have to say that this translation is pretty clunky. Get the original version if you can.

Card Play Technique: Or the Art of Being Lucky
Card Play Technique: Or the Art of Being Lucky
by Victor Mollo
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Vandalised, 25 Aug 2013
I bought this for nostalgia - I had it when I was just at that stage in my bridge career, and it changed my game. And of course Victor Mollo, when on form, as he is here, was a peerlessly entertaining writer.
It has been updated and modernised. What that means is Americanised. For heaven's sake, why? Why did someone take all that trouble to go right through the text and replace the c in "defence" with s, and take all the Us out of "honour"? Does he think that modern bridge players can't cope with the word "knave"? And where on earth did "honor-third" come from?
It gets an unequivocal 5 stars because it is such a terrific book that not even this vandalism can detract from it. If you've been playing keenly for 6-12 months and want to improve your game, this is the most enjoyable mandatory reading you will find.

StarTech High Resolution VGA to Composite (RCA) or S-Video Converter - PC to TV
StarTech High Resolution VGA to Composite (RCA) or S-Video Converter - PC to TV
Price: 64.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, 28 July 2013
I wanted a device to transfer video files from my laptop (Toshiba with 2.4GHz i3 processor) to a video recorder.
I bought a cheap unit to convert Vga to composite and it did quite a good job but dropped frames.
This one cost four times as much, does as good a job and drops just as many frames.

War and Peace (BBC) (1972) (import)
War and Peace (BBC) (1972) (import)
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 11.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific play, poorly presented, 7 Jun 2013
Mine is the Dutch version. Maybe other ones are better.

Hard to know how many stars to give it - I certainly don't want to put people off this superb play which easily stands the test of time.

The picture quality is atrocious - don't recommend watching it on any screen bigger than 20 inches. There is lots of VHS artifact to which has been added MPEG2 artifact. My domestic DVD recorder could certainly do a much better job.

The sound has to be turned up to maximum (not the Menu background sound which is much louder). In the menu episodes are not numbered (4 per disc) so you have to guess what order they are in.

There are Dutch subtitles by default which there is no easy option to turn off. (It can be done).

Its a shame that such a wonderful show has been transferred to DVD in such a cowboy fashion.

Stravinsky: Petrouchka, The Rite Of Spring, Fireworks
Stravinsky: Petrouchka, The Rite Of Spring, Fireworks
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, but fragmented by Amazon!, 22 Dec 2011
The music is superb but I wonder if we could persuade Amazon to resist the urge to split everything up into 79p "songs"? The MP3 files sound fantastic on my Arcam Mini, but throughout Petrushka and the Rite there are great gaps in the sound between the files which completely destroy the flow. (I have been able to get round the problem by joining them in an audio editor)

People will want to listen to music like this right through, not in sections. If the Amazon people read this, please get advice from a musician before you go chopping up great music!

Dreamland Sleepwell 6985 Single Control Heated Pure Cotton Quilted Fully Fitted Mattress Cover
Offered by Bargains 2 U
Price: 84.99

3.0 out of 5 stars no information, 2 Nov 2011
I can't imgine anybody is going to buy this unless you provide a bit more information.
Like -
how big is it?
how is it attached to the mattress?
etc
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2012 10:35 AM GMT

QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (Penguin Press Science)
QED - The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (Penguin Press Science)
by Richard P Feynman
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct 2011
I am a layman and have read quite a few popular science books. The material here I haven't found anywhere else.
Fascinating stuff, brilliantly told.
(You have to be interested. And you will have to read it at least 3 or 4 times - it's only a little book)

New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar
New 2012 Red Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct 2011
I've used one of these for years, and it's been fitted to two grandchildren on two bikes in succession. Works beautifully and gives huge pleasure to the children. If you've towed a caravan you'll know exactly what it's like to tow a child.

I've had no problem with the attachment at the child's bike end, though on the second (Spiderman) bike I couldn't attach the handlebar restrainer because the front fork was too fat for the fitting. Didn't matter: perfectly safe without it.

People who complained about the movement of the device on the child's bike didn't fit it properly. These bolts must be not only tight but also evenly tightened - so that all 4 bolts stick out the same amount. (Tedious, but only needs to be done once)

LEICKE KanaaN PC VGA to TV Composite Video RGB Converter + Scart Adapter + 3.5mm Jack to 2x RCA Phono Audio Cable | FREE SHIPPING WITH SUPER SAVER DELIVERY
Offered by Leicke Distributor Germany
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 7 May 2011
Worked straight out of the box for me (Toshiba laptop, Windows 7, Sony 28" CRT 100Hz TV). I used composite connection, no flickering. Instructions were in German but no adjustments were necessary so I didn't need them.

The computer's native resolution is 1366 X 768 but it changed it automatically to accomodate the device, needed changing back afterwards.

Toshiba Satellite Pro S500-15W (15.6 inch) Notebook Core i3 (370M) 2.4GHz 2GB 250GB DVD SM WLAN Windows 7 HP (Intel HM55 Express) Precious Black

4.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 7 May 2011
My old Toshiba laptop (c.2001) died and I was really looking forward to a modern machine with the latest sound and vision technology. Ten years on I literally couldn't believe the quality of the hardware on this machine.

The screen on my old machine had to be viewed from just the right angle, but if you got it right the pictures looked lovely. This one's viewing angle is if anything worse, and if you move the screen to get the best result, the colours are wishy-washy and beautiful pictures are barely worth looking at. There appears to be no way of adjusting colour saturation, contrast or anything else (I think this applies to pretty much all laptops). You can make the picture dimmer. That doesn't help.

I couldn't work out what was wrong with the sound. All the controls I could find were maxed out and I could hardly hear it. The answer was: nothing was wrong. The sound is just unbelievably weak and tinny. I don't know how anyone could even have a conversation over Skype, unless in a soundproof room.

Make sure nothing moves when you're using the camera. It will just be a blur. You will get a reasonably decent 640x480 video picture but keep very still! I used a 20 USB webcam with my old machine which gave much better results.

In these days of fantastic technology I can't understand why the quality of these things, on a machine from a top manufacturer, are so poor. It may well be that this is what you get on an average spec laptop, whoever makes it. If I'd known I would have just got a new hard drive for my old machine.

(Added 8 Oct 2011) Having looked at a few more laptops I guess the things I have complained about are pretty standard. I just can't understand when the technology has been around for ages (I've had a 24" monitor for years that you can see clearly with beautiful colours if you suspend yourself from the ceiling, or crawl on the floor - made by DGM... ever heard of them?) why laptops are provided with such lousy screens.

I have used it for Skype and it actually works very well with good pictures. I can even hear what they are saying at the other end.

And it's lovely and light, and powers up quickly.

(I gave it 2 stars, but having compared it with the competition I have upgraded to 4)

Page: 1 | 2