Profile for Dr Enoch > Reviews

Content by Dr Enoch

Dr Enoch "Dr Enoch" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Merrell Men's CHAM EVO GTX Hiking Shoe
Merrell Men's CHAM EVO GTX Hiking Shoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible horrible shoes, 17 Sep 2011
I used to be a big fan of Merrell as they have made such comfortable shoes in the past.Bought these as I wanted something sturdy and yet comfortable - I didn't try them on in the shops (I hate shoe shops) and just bargained on the Merrell reuptation. This was a mistake. The shoes are heavy and completely inflexible - as other reviewers have noted they are also absurdly small for their size - I usually buy 10 1/2 Merrells (I am a ten) and have always found them very comfortable and a perfect fit. These are also 10 1/2, however, they are encased in thick, unyielding black rubber - and there is no room for the foot to stretch. These are the most uncomfortable shoes I have EVER worn - I went walking in them (after "breaking" them in) and was crippled for three days! Whichever bright spark in the Merrell designer suite who came up with these LOATHSOME shoes should be made to walk from Lands End to John O Groats in them. And then be shot.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 9:37 AM GMT

Hal (Puffin Books)
Hal (Puffin Books)
by Jean MacGibbon

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely coming-of-age story, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Hal (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is a fine book centred around the growing friendship between a shy, sickly boy and a beautiful west indian girl in a deprived area of London. It The book is very well realised, both in characterisation and in a sense of place. It also explores issues such as the flowering of adolescent sexuality with a sensitivity and deftness of touch notably absent from the crass, lipgloss-and-glitter smeared attempts of Jacqueline Wilson et al. Very well worth keeping an eye out for in the second bookshops or indeed here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2011 10:06 PM BST

Woman in Black [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Woman in Black [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Adrian Rawlins

5.0 out of 5 stars yes terrifying, 2 Nov 2010
Despite having read all the reviews and having seen the play I was unprepared for how horrible and frightening this really was.

We were staying with friends in a cottage in a desolate valley in the Peaks when we watched it...the worst moment was after the film when I went all the way upstairs to check on my three year old son. His bed was in the attic beside the window - when I went in the room his covers were thrown off, he was gone and the curtains were open - I still feel sick with terror when I think of it!

He had actually been moved to a different bed by my partner before we'd even started watching but she hadn't told me - horrifying! In fact when I began to start writing this review I had a real yen to watch it again but now remembering it I'm not so sure!

We watched Paranormal Activity the same night and it just looked silly in comparison.

Deadly Words: Witchcraft in the Bocage (Msh)
Deadly Words: Witchcraft in the Bocage (Msh)
by Jeanne Favret-Saada
Price: 18.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Imperative reading for anyone interested in modern witchcraft, 21 Sep 2010
This makes for absolutely fascinating reading. The book is the result of some years of ethnographic research and is in parts presented in academic style. This piece of work is one of a kind and anyone interested in magic or witchcraft should read a copy immediately!

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
by E. Wilby
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - No one with an interest in Magic should be without a copy, 11 Jan 2010
This is a very fine book and has fast become my favourite non-fiction of the last few months.

The hypothesis is that the fairy encounters described by cunning folk and sourced from the witch trials are representative of a genuine, and very English, modern visionary tradition.
This is revelatory and a refreshing challenge to the orthodox opinion - that witch narratives were either the product of mental illness or a collusion between prisoner and inquisitor. Emma Wilby does an efficient job of addressing the deficiencies in such explanations and delivers what seems to be a very-well argued and sensible alternative.
The quoted source material is almost worth the price of the book alone - spirits with names like Vinegar Tom, Grizzlegut, Pyewhacket and Mak Hector inhabit almost every page!

Anyone with an interest in Magic, Witchcraft or Psychology should have a copy of this book. I found it was an excellent complement to Owen Davies' "Popular Magic". I have already been lending it to friends but hope this review prompts people to buy it!

The Rediscovery of Man (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
The Rediscovery of Man (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Cordwainer Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 31 July 2009
Just to weigh in with all the other reviewers, these stories are quite amazing, in fact I've not really ever found anything like them.
Read them!

Pharmako/ Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path
Pharmako/ Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path
by Dale Pendell

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 July 2009
How many books about magic/drugs does one open with high expectations only to find the same old cod-tripe tirelessly and tediously recycled.
This book is different - beautifully written and inspiring. I've found myself thinking about it ever since I read it - I only wish the first two were a little more affordable!
Am looking forwards to saving up for the pleasure of working backwards through this wonderful set.

Glastonbury Romance (Picador Books)
Glastonbury Romance (Picador Books)
by John Cowper Powys

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh God please deliver me from this, 31 July 2009
Having exhausted my holiday book bag all too quickly I bought this - correctly surmising that it would slow me down. I read Brazen Head and Atlantis as a teenager and loved them but I hated this. In fact, it made me feel sick and I eventually threw it away without finishing it, something I very rarely do. His writing in this is so mannered and constipated, in fact the book itself is like the tortuous undulations of a particularly painful bowel movement.
I found nothing in this to give me pleasure, was this the sort of dreary, windy garbage that passed as high lit back in the 60s?
Bloody Hell
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 8:35 PM BST

Magical Pathworking: Techniques of Active Imagination
Magical Pathworking: Techniques of Active Imagination
by Nick Farrell
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars garbage introduction put me off, 7 July 2009
This may be a fine book with lots of great pathworkings - I don't know because I'll never buy it. My reason was provided in the first few pages, helpfully provided with the "look inside" feature. In these, the author goes to great lengths to disparage boring old scientific rationality and starts by laughing at the risible theory that mind is simply the interaction of millions of brain cells.
In fact it is estimated that there are around 100 billion neurons in the human brain with around 100 trillion synapses, making it one of the most complicated structures in the known universe. It therefore seems entirely possible that consciousness is an epiphenomenon of this complexity but that would not undermine the power or usefulness of magical exercises, in the same way that knowing the underlying neurobiological mechanisms of Love does not diminish our experience of it.
However, if the author can make such an embarrassing and glaring error in the first few pages, I find myself disinclined to follow him any further in his pseudo-scientific mysticism.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 7:05 PM GMT

SSOTBME Revised - an essay on magic
SSOTBME Revised - an essay on magic
by Lemuel Johnston
Price: 12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Look, this book is sheer genius, 25 Mar 2009
I appreciate that most folk on this page are either
(a) a pre-existing fan of Ramsey Dukes
or
(b) have been directed to this book by a concerned friend or relative

and therefore need no extra-curricula encouragement to buy this book
HOWEVER
if you the reader do not fall into these categories, then please consider buying this.
This book is quite extraordinary. It requires reading from start to finish, during that period, you, the reader will experience something peculiar. When you try and go back into the book to find out exactly where or when that happened, you will be unsuccessful. This book is the encapsulated version of the magic shop in the cul-de-sac that vanishes before your second visit. It describes something indescribable without ever articulating it. It presents you with a series of concise, philosophical essays that inculcate a powerful impression...in an entirely different sense modality from that utilised in the reading!
The book itself is a well crafted piece of magic.
Buy it, it's about ten pounds (about three pints and a bus fare)...and will get you further than that
Ho Ho Ho