Profile for Jess Hearts Books > Reviews

by Michelle Harrison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped From Start to Finish!, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Unrest (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd heard a lot of praise for Michelle Harrison's The Thirteen Treasures series for younger readers and so was excited to hear that she planned to venture into YA with this standalone novel Unrest and it only took me until the end of chapter one to realize what all the fuss was about. The first chapter completely sucked me in, Michelle Harrison has this atmospheric way of describing what's happening that sent a chill down my spine. Her writing is suitably creepy and suspenseful and I became absorbed in this book from the start longing for the next chilling scene to get my next terror fuelled buzz and to find out exactly what was going on with Elliott and what happened to give him his strange abilities.

When Elliott is in an accident that actually clinically kills him for all of two minutes and is resuscitated by paramedics and brought back to life he finds himself somehow newly connected to the spirit world. Elliott's experiences with sleep paralysis chilled me to the bone. Sleep paralysis is a sleeping disorder I hadn't heard of prior to reading this book and I found it a fascinating albeit terrifying illness to read about. The way that Michelle Harrison connected the condition to a ghost story made Unrest something new and exciting to read. Whilst at its heart this book is a ghost story it also reads as part contemporary romance and part mystery too. When Elliott wasn't fighting off spirits trying to enter his sleeping body he also has a budding romance with his co-worker Ophelia developing, and had to learn the history and ghost stories of Past Lives the living museum where he's recently started to work. There are also the mysteries of the ghosts that haunt Elliott that he has to solve in order for them to move on. There was always something exciting going on making Unrest totally gripping.

I really loved the characters in this book, Elliott wasn't a perfect character and had a past and reputation with the ladies before his accident. I liked that in the beginning Elliott wasn't perfect because as the book goes on he takes the horrible things that have happened to him and lets his experiences shape him into a better person. I loved watching him grow as a character and by the end of the book he was such a lovely guy who I really wanted the best for. I also really liked Elliott's love interest Ophelia she's feisty, smart, and doesn't take any crap from anyone least of all Elliott. She has an interesting back story too that gets revealed as the book goes on and again, like Elliott, she's flawed but not in a way that makes her unlikeable only more relatable and real as a character.

Unrest if the kind of book that does exactly what it says on the tin and more. Yes it's scary and creepy which is exactly what I was after when I picked this book up but it was also rich with history, romantic, and addictive with plenty of page turning mysteries surrounding the plot. It was a flawless read that ticked all the right boxes and that I couldn't bear to part with until I'd turned the final page. I loved everything about this book and look forward to seeing what Michelle Harrison writes in the future.

Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series
Rapture: Book 4 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Ending, 21 Jun 2012
Rapture has been a hugely anticipated book for me. Ever since I read the first book in this series Fallen in 2010 I've been left with so many burning questions like "why has this curse been put on Luce and Daniel?" and "what will it take for them to break it?." All of my questions were finally answered in this series finale and it was better than I could have hoped for, I'd even go as far as to say this is my favourite book of the series.

Rapture begins where Passion left off, there is a collection of short stories called Fallen in Love that's meant to be read before this book as well and although it's not essential to the series, I'd read it before Rapture anyway just because it adds a little extra detail to this book. Luce, Daniel, and all of our other favourite characters, come together to try and hunt down three ancient and lost relics that record the Angels fall from Heaven and are scattered all around the world in order to discover where the fall took place to stop Lucifer from erasing the past and re-starting time.

The first half of this book is a race against time as the gang have only nine days to save the world and so there's a certain urgency as they travel the world searching for the relics. There are also some gorgeous scenes between Luce and Daniel now that Luce has her memories of her past lives with him restored her and Daniel are closer than ever which leads to some of the couples best and most romantic moments.

Nearing the last section of the book things get even more intense, lives are sacrificed for the greater good and we lose some fantastic characters along the way. With Luce now more connected to her soul than ever she starts to piece together her very first meeting with Daniel, why they're cursed, and exactly what she has to do to break the curse and stop Lucifer before it's too late.

The ending to this book completely blew me away. Although as I read this book I began to suspect a few things before they happened, I was in no way prepared for the full scale of things and thought it was absolutely brilliant. A word of warning: the ending is a total tearjerker especially if you're a romantic and I found myself sobbing through the last few chapters of this book and got weepy just thinking about it for the rest of the day. The ending was absolutely perfect and it couldn't have ended any other way.

It was so bittersweet for me saying goodbye to these characters I've come to know, love, and spend so much time with, although I do think with the way Lauren Kate ended this book she could always revisit this world in a spin off series if she ever wanted to. Rapture was an epic, heart wrenching, and totally moving finale to what's been one of the most romantic series I've ever read. Read it, love it, just don't forget to keep a box of tissues handy!

The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02
The Calling: Darkness Rising: Book 02
by Kelley Armstrong
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of Kelley Armstrong's Young Adult Books So Far!, 21 Jun 2012
The Calling has to be my favourite of Kelley Armstrong's Young Adult books so far. I loved her Darkest Powers trilogy and enjoyed the first book to this new companion series The Gathering just as much, but this second instalment to the Darkness Rising series had everything I loved about Kelley's previous books and more. I picked this up and had it finished under 24 hours later it was such a page turner of a read with constant action and suspense. I think after reading this book my love for the Darkness Rising series might just have over taken my love for the Darkest Powers books.

The book begins where The Gathering left off and straight away we're thrown back into the action. During the first chapter in the helicopter all hell breaks loose with shocking revelations, powers unleashed and even deaths of characters to really get the ball rolling! After that explosive first chapter the book doesn't let up for a second and only gets more urgent and intense as the book goes on. It felt like I read The Calling in a total frenzy I was that immersed in Maya's world. This book grips you and refuses to let go till the final world, a quality that all of Kelley Armstrong's books have, this one in particular.

The Calling is a real survival story. With Maya and her friends stuck in the wilderness with an increasingly dangerous group after them for their unusual powers, not only do they have to survive in the forest, try to avoid being captured or worse killed all whilst trying to find out what happened to their home, dealing with loss and figuring out who they can trust, they also have to deal with their powers starting to manifest at the same time, testing out how strong they are, and working out what extinct and rare supernatural creature they might be.

These books have a certain sinister chill to them with the supernatural powers not being achieved by magic but by actual scientific engineering, the corporations that Maya and Co have as enemies are scary and powerful ones that whilst may want to capture them for impure purposes might also be the only people who have answers and can help them control their powers.

As with the first book in this series I really loved Maya as our heroine and felt that this book gives us chance to get to know some of the other characters a little better too. If you're a fan of Kelley's books then you'll know that her characters are always strong and likeable and that her writing and plot development seems so easy and natural that it seems effortless on her part and is compulsively readable. This book had a fantastic ending with enough left unresolved that I'm dying for the next book without it being a torturous cliff-hanger. I particularly like what Kelley was hinting at for what's in store in the next book and find it an exciting direction she's leading us in. Overall The Calling was a fantastic sequel and my favourite from Kelley Armstrong yet. If you're a fan of this series this latest instalment isn't going to disappoint.

What I Did on My Holidays
What I Did on My Holidays
by Chrissie Manby
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A Holiday Read Like No Other!, 13 Jun 2012
What I Did On My Holidays was right at the top of the list of books I want to read this summer. Despite never reading a book by Chrissie Manby before I'd heard what a fab writer she is and this book sounded so funny and uplifting that I was looking forward to reading it hugely and it certainly lived up to my expectations!

The book begins with our hilarious heroine Sophie looking forward to her annual summer holiday and this holiday in particular will be extra special as she plans to spend her thirtieth birthday celebrating in Majorca with long term boyfriend Callum. However as the hours pass before the plane takes off with no word from Callum Sophie starts to get slightly frantic and after several failed attempts to reach him he finally texts to let her know that he's not going to be going to Majorca with her after all and worst of all dumps her hours before they're meant to leave. Heartbroken and devastated with nobody who can accompany her on such short notice Sophie decides to stay at home and nurse her broken heart. But when her family and friends assume that she has gone ahead with her holiday alone and Callum gets wind of it he starts to regret the break-up and is impressed with Sophie's new found independence. And so from her London flat, in the middle of a drizzly English summer, Sophie goes about trying to re-create the perfect holiday in Majorca in an all or nothing attempt to win Callum back.

What I Did On My Holidays was such a hilarious read. Sophie's drastic attempts to live out an abroad holiday at home made for the wackiest staycation ever. Stealing pictures from the hotels website to send to her friends, checking club webcams to see what's happening live, and even re-creating a beach scene in her garden with a whole lot of builders sand, Sophie does it all. Reading about Sophie's staycation was the real highlight of the book for me and I'd find myself laughing out loud at just how far she was willing to go so as not to be found out. What I Did On My Holidays certainly celebrates the joys of having a holiday from home something which I'm sure a lot of people can relate to with more and more people having to cut back on their holidays with the recession.

Sophie was such a likeable, funny, heroine who I wanted the best for from the start. After being dumped so horribly at the beginning of the book she's immediately endearing as a character and I was cheering her on throughout.

What I Did On My Holidays had everything I could want from a summer story. It was a feel good, light hearted, hilarious read that's definitely made me want to check out Chrissie Manby's other books. Whether you're staying at home this summer, going on an English holiday, or going abroad this is a holiday read that can be enjoyed whatever the occasion and celebrates holidays of all shapes and sizes. Perfect to be read either by the pool with a cocktail or curled up on the couch with a cuppa this is a holiday book that has something to offer everyone.

The Gathering Dark: The Grisha 1
The Gathering Dark: The Grisha 1
by Leigh Bardugo
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Book of the Year So Far!, 13 Jun 2012
I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive to read this book simply because I literally have a love/hate relationship with the fantasy genre. I tend to either absolutely love a fantasy novel or loath it with no middle ground so I'm always anxious when starting a new fantasy book to see which category it falls under. I'd heard so much hype for this book in the US (US title Smoke and Bone) that I had high hopes for The Gathering Dark and I'm happy to say the hype is totally justified!

The reason I'm so picky with my fantasy is that I like to lose myself in a fantasy world from the start and so the book needs to immerse me in its culture. If the book doesn't really go into the politics, names, and descriptions and I have to keep jarring myself out of the story to flick through and look it up then I give up on a book pretty quickly. For me it takes a talented storyteller indeed who can comfortably get me settled into their world and gives me enough information and description so that I can imagine the world with ease and can completely lose myself in their world without getting confused and having to constantly suss out the who's who and what's what in order to enjoy the book. I like to get sucked into a fantasy land smoothly and with effortlessness and Leigh Bardugo does that with the Kingdom of Ravka seamlessly.

Alina's world is rich with detail and so well imagined. I loved the idea of having a magical elite in the Grisha with magicians who each have a speciality be it death, healing, fire, air, fabrics amongst numerous other things. I loved learning about the Grisha and their place in society. This book is a literal battle between light and dark as Alina discovers a power like no other Grisha that may be the key to saving Ravka from The Shadow Fold and restore the Kingdom to its former glory.

Alina is the perfect heroine she herself admits to being average in every way but as she learns about her new power she goes from being a normal girl to Ravka's saviour and as the book goes on she makes a lot of tough calls and brave decisions and I totally respected her as our heroine.

My favourite kind of romance is when childhood friends grow into something more so Alina and Mals relationship was always going to be a winner for me. I fell for Mal pretty much from the start and only grew to love him more as the book continued. He's charming, funny, and hugely likeable and his relationship with Alina was wonderful to read and watch develop.

The Darkling has to be the best villain I've come across in a long time you never quite know whether to trust him or not. He's dangerous, seductive, and persuasive and I couldn't help but be drawn to him along with Alina. I love when the bad guy has a good backstory and isn't just bad for the sake of it but because he truly believes that what he's doing is the right thing to do. The Darkling was powerful, charismatic, and fearsome and was everything I could hope for in a good villain.

I picked up this book purposefully because I was looking for a nice chunky book that could last me a while. Despite being a big book I read this in one night a rarity for me especially with a book of this size. I literally could not put it down and refused to part with it until I was finished in the early hours of the morning. The Gathering Dark held me captivated from start to finish and has to be my favourite book of 2012 so far. Even if fantasy's not usually your thing I'd fully recommend giving this book a go. If you like books that transport you to richly imagined fantastical places, that introduces you to vibrant and warm characters, that has a gorgeous romance, and best of all an epic battle between good and evil then look no further. I loved every second spent with this book and thoroughly recommend it.

Fallen in Love
Fallen in Love
by Lauren Kate
Price: 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quick, Romantic, Series Filler, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fallen in Love (Hardcover)
I have to say that usually I'm not really a fan of short stories mainly because I find that they're not long enough to get to know the characters and there's not enough time for plot development but when I heard about Fallen in Love I figured I'd give it a go as those reasons are irrelevant with these four short stories as they centre around the characters of the Fallen world, a series that I love.

The book is set alongside the same timeline as Passion, the third book in this series, and takes place in Medieval England on Valentine's Day as Luce and Co travel through the announcers.

There are four short stories centring around each characters Valentine's Day giving us readers a chance to learn more about the secondary characters love lives unlike the rest of the series where the focus is mainly on Luce and Daniel.

The first story is Love Where You Least Expect It: The Valentine of Shelby and Miles where the friends blossom into something more whilst trying to help the Lucinda of the past have a romantic Valentine's Day with Daniel. The second story is Love Lessons: The Valentine of Roland where we get to learn of the only woman Roland has ever loved a mortal girl who Roland loved and lost during this time period and revisits on this Valentine's Day through an announcer. The third story is Burning Love: The Valentine of Arriane where we learn about Arriane's great love with a demon girl named Tessriel and how being on opposing sides comes between them. And lastly for the grand finale we have the star couple in Endless Love: The Valentine of Daniel and Lucinda which is the story of the one and only Valentine's Day that Luce and Daniel ever got to spend together.

Surprisingly my favourite stories where Roland's and Arriane's. Both of them have sad heart-breaking tales of lost love which shows a different side to them both as characters and made me feel like I got to know them a little better. I found Arriane's story especially interesting as it gives us some insight as to why she refuses to be on Lucifer's side and why she's a total martyr for Luce and Daniels love. I have to say that I've never been a particular fan of Roland but after reading his story and what he selflessly does for his lost love my heart really went out to him and I like him a lot more now.

Fallen in Love doesn't add anything hugely new to the main storyline of this series but what it does do is give a deeper insight into the lives and loves of the secondary characters. It's a short, quick, romantic, read that gives a little extra something to the fans of the series and also makes a good refresher of Passion ready for the series finale in Rapture. Although I don't see why it would strictly need to be read as part of the series it makes a good little in between books read that I'd recommend to fans of the series.

Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2)
Bloodlines: The Golden Lily (book 2)
by Richelle Mead
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Book in My Favourite Series!, 6 Jun 2012
Richelle Meads Vampire Academy series and Bloodlines spin off are my favourite Young Adult series ever, so when a new book comes out I get really excited and have to read it right away and The Golden Lily was no exception. The book begins not long after where Bloodlines left off. Dimitri and Sonya have recently arrived in Palm Springs after the revelations in the last book that Strigoi who are returned to their former selves with the use of spirit magic are immune to being turned again and so the group are going through a series of experiments to see if they can find what's in Dimitri and Sonya's blood that prevents them from becoming Strigoi to hopefully discover a cure for the rest of the world.

I loved that Dimitri was very much a main character in this book as I honestly can't get enough of the Belikov but what I find great about this series is that although Dimitri features a lot in this book the focus is very much on Adrian as the leading male of this series. Although Dimitri is beloved by me he didn't over shadow Adrian like he did for me in Vampire Academy and I admired Richelle Meads capability of bringing such a strong, well loved, alpha male into this series and yet the story still belongs to Adrian, as for me as a huge Dimitri fan, it could've been easy for him to overshadow Adrian and so I was surprised when he didn't.

Speaking of Adrian I have to say that I finally get him. Don't get me wrong I really did like Adrian in Vampire Academy but for me it was always meant to be Rose and Dimitri and so I'd get annoyed with Adrian for interfering with that. In this series however now that he's getting over Rose and him and Dimitri aren't in competition for her affections anymore I've really got to know him as Adrian and not just the guy coming in between my favourite book couple. After reading this book I have to say that I now love Adrian just as much as I do Dimitri and I get why it never worked out for him and Rose and why there was always something missing between them for me and that's because him and Sydney were 100% made for each other.

Adrian and Sydney guys! There is so much chemistry between them that I can actually feel it like it's an actual tangible thing which is also how I felt with Rose and Dimitri. Who would have thought that these two unlikely characters would be so absolutely perfect for one another? I certainly didn't! But it totally works and I want them to get together in the same passionate way that I did for Rose and Dimitri. The romances in these books are done so, so, well and not just between the main characters. Richelle Mead knows not only how to create the swooniest guys but also how to write unbelievable chemistry and sexual tension between a couple that practically sizzles off the pages.

Whereas Bloodlines was all about learning about the alchemists and the after effects of Last Sacrifice The Golden Lily focuses on a subject that was touched upon briefly in Bloodlines, Vampire Hunters, and introduces us to the corrupt group behind them, The Warriors of Light. The Golden Lily is also very much a growing pains book for Sydney. A lot happens in this book that makes her re-evaluate her beliefs as an alchemist and what she's always believed about the Vampire world. I loved watching Sydney develop as a character as her heart told her one thing and her head another. This book is one giant learning curve for Sydney and I enjoyed reading her conflicting emotions.

Overall if you're a fan of this series I don't think The Golden Lily will disappoint. Even though this book did feel more character driven than plot driven I didn't mind too much because I adore every single one of these characters! This is a book full of character development in both their personalities and relationships with one another; although this book didn't lead to many huge revelations plot wise it did raise some interesting questions for the next book in the series. Reading a book set in this world be it Vampire Academy or Bloodlines is like coming home and like with all of the other books in the series comes with the highest of recommendations.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2012 11:36 AM BST

Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls
Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls
by Cassandra Clare
Price: 7.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favourite of the Series, But Still a Good Read!, 6 Jun 2012
Reading the latest The Mortal Instruments book is always like catching up with old friends. This has to be one of my favourite series and like all fans I was anticipating this books release something fierce. I know there were a lot of mixed opinions over City of Fallen Angels but I personally really enjoyed the extension on the series and like where Cassandra Clare was taking these books. The stakes are even higher now with Sebastian, to me, being an even more dangerous and twisted villain than his father Valentine with his evil plans that will affect the world as we know it, not just for Shadowhunters and Downworlders. I feel like Clare really upped her game in these last two books and I have really enjoyed where she's taken this new plot.

That being said I did feel like City of Lost Souls had a few faults and for that reason it wasn't my favourite of the series. I feel like I go through my ups and downs with Clary, in some books I really like her, and in others she just gets on my nerves. Sadly this was one of those books that she really annoyed me. She made some dumb, selfish, mistakes and I felt like screaming at her "How could you be so stupid!?" but by the end of the book she goes back to being the brave and strong Clary that I love so she redeemed herself a little but jeez it took her long enough! And she puts a lot of lives at risk in the meantime whilst she's busy being a stupid girl, not cool. I also have to say straight off the bat that I love Alec, I really do, but seriously what is his beef with Magnus having loved other people before him? I mean, I get that Magnus has been alive forever and so has been in love with more people than your average person and how that makes Alec feel like just another notch on his bedpost, but regardless to how long Magnus has existed, we all have our baggage and a past so I really didn't get his jealousy at all and would get annoyed with how he would treat Magnus, once again, not cool.

Those dislikes out of the way I loved everything else about this book. I enjoyed finding out what this new bond between Jace and Sebastian entails and the full extent of Sebastian's evil plans. I really loved Cassie Clare's writing and the alternating narrative between all of the characters is something I really love about these books as there are so many characters to love, and the switching perspective keeps things fresh with something constantly going down for one of the characters so there's never a dull moment.

I feel like I've come to know these characters so well and I love to live inside this world through them that I'm sad that the series will finally be ending in the next book. Like in City of Fallen Angels I really liked how the prequel series, The Infernal Devices, is tied into the story and love reading the nods to that series as I've personally come to love The Infernal Devices even more than The Mortal Instruments.

I don't think that fans of this series will be disappointed with City of Lost Souls. Despite it not being one of my favourites of the series on the grand scale of things it was still an epic read. Relationships fall together and fall apart, sacrifices are made for the greater good, and best of all (In my opinion) we get to know Sebastian better as a character; he's certainly a villain I love to hate! This book doesn't have a huge cliff-hanger but it definitely has an ending that has me interested to see where Cassie Clare takes us next. Overall, although not my favourite book in the series, it was still a fantastic read that builds up things nicely for what promises to be the grandest of grand finales.

Second Chance Summer
Second Chance Summer
by Morgan Matson
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Second Chance Summer (Paperback)
Amy and Rogers Epic Detour was one of my favourite summer reads of last year so I was really excited to hear that Morgan Matson was coming out with another summer read this time centring around a summer at a lake house, one family's last summer together, and the importance of grabbing those all too rare second chances when life throws them to you.

If I had to sum up Second Chance Summer in one word it would be Bittersweet. The book is equally heart-breaking and equally filled with carefree blissful summer moments, Morgan Matson getting the balance just right. Taylor Edwards is spending her summer with her family in their old lake house; her days will be filled with ice creams at Jane's, movie nights on the beach, and relaxing out on the lake, sounds perfect right? Well not really. Taylor's dad has recently been diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer and has been given only months left to live. It's her dads wish that they spend one last summer together as a family so they spend the summer at the family lake house re-connecting, reliving old memories, and generally spending their last few months in each other's company while they still can. If that wasn't enough Taylor's reluctant to go back to their old summer lake house not only because she knows by the end of summer she'll be coming home without her dad but also because she didn't part well with her old friend from childhood Lucy and her first boyfriend Henry the last time she was in town. But summer is a time when anything feels possible, will Taylor learn to face her fears and get a second chance before it's too late?

I said it in my review for Amy and Roger and I'll say it again here. Morgan's writing reminds me SO much of reading a book by queen of summer stories Sarah Dessen. If you're a fan of Sarah's books you will love Morgan's and vice versa. What they have in common is that they both have the perfect balance in their books of tackling a sensitive subject, in this books case cancer, and yet still pulling off a feel good summer read. They both have this gift of knowing just how far to push people's emotions without the book feeling too heavy and when to add the fun summery goodness to lighten the mood. Morgan Matson has also included a cameo from Amy and Roger at the beginning of this book something that Sarah is famous for doing with her stories. The cameo was a nice little extra and brought a smile to my face.

Second Chance Summer is the kind of summer read that I love. There were moments where you could almost forget what Taylor was going through because she was so brave and lived by her dad's wish that they have as normal and happy a summer for as long as possible. Then there would be a heart-breaking tender moment with her father that was so touching that I'm not ashamed to say I cried over on several occasions so much so that I'm surprised this book wasn't a great big soggy heap of paper by the time I was finished with it. This book is the perfect mix of summer fun and heartbreak as you watch Taylor have this life changing summer and watch her grow as a person.

However I do have to say that as nice as Taylor and Henry were I didn't come to love them as much as Amy and Roger but that's just my personal preference although I had a lot of respect for Taylor and the way she handled her family situation. I did however fall in love with so many of the secondary characters particularly Taylor's dad, Warren and Wendy and Lucy and Elliot. There were so many great characters to get to know and love and the community at the lake was a real highlight of the book for me.

Although I didn't love Second Chance Summer quite as much as Amy and Rogers Epic Detour it was still a brilliant summer read that's well worth checking out. A word of warning, you may want to read this one in privacy and don't forget to read it with a big box of tissues!

Emma hearts LA
Emma hearts LA
by Keris Stainton
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Reading at its Best!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Emma hearts LA (Paperback)
I loved Jessie Hearts NYC so when I heard that Keris was writing a companion novel featuring Jessie's best friend Emma I was beyond excited. Keris is one of the loveliest authors and always makes time to talk to her fans on Twitter, her books are fun, romantic, quick reads that make perfect summer stories. I read Emma Hearts LA on a sunny Sunday afternoon in one sitting and closed the book with the cheesiest grin on my face, Emma Hearts LA is total feel good reading and left me in a cheerful mood for the rest of the day.

I have to say that as much as I loved Jessie Hearts NYC I loved Emma even more! It's funny because I've always considered myself to be a New York kinda gal ( I LOVE big cities!) but Emma Hearts LA was just so much more me and I connected to the story more because of that. Emma was a really great protagonist, unlike her little sister who dreams of becoming the next big Hollywood teen star, Emma is less than thrilled at the prospect of living in LA when her mum decides to move them out there. Emma feels like she'll have nothing in common with the stars and wannabes who live there and she's sad to be leaving her old life behind even if it does mean being in the same country as her BFF Jessie. Her mum and dad have recently split up and Emma's relationship with her dad is messy because of it and moving across the world from him is sure to only increase that tension. Reluctantly Emma moves with her family to LA and leaves behind life as she knew it, well, almost, because waiting in LA is old family friend Michael and his teenage son Oscar her geeky childhood friend. Except Oscar's kinda grown into his geekyness and owns it making him kind of hot to Emma's surprise. As Oscar shows Emma that life in LA isn't all that bad Emma starts to fall in love with this way of life. But when the latest Hollywood heartthrob Alex shows an interest in her Emma will have to decide which boy will win over her heart.

One of the main things I love about Keris's books is that she has this way of writing which really makes you feel like you're there. Like in Jessie Hearts NYC where I got to experience New York through Jessie in this book I got to experience LA through Emma. Emma's house on the canal sounded absolutely beautiful and the ocean front walk would totally be my local hangout. I closed this book feeling like I'd been on a trip to LA myself and I love the total escapism you get with Keris's books.

Once again I loved the characters in this book, Emma, Bex, Alex and Emma's mum were all great characters and I loved that Jessie was in this book too and that we got to catch up with her. But my ultimate favourite character had to be Oscar. Oscar is the kind of guy I personally go for. He's dorky, not afraid to be different, is comfortable in his own skin, caring and has a big heart of gold. I love stories where childhood friends blossom into something more so Keris really ticked all the right boxes with Oscar and he quickly became my latest book boy crush.

Overall I loved everything about Emma Hearts LA. If you like books that completely sweep you away to somewhere sunny and exotic, have sweet summer romances, and swoony book boys this is the book for you. Emma Hearts LA is like the perfect holiday, fun filled, care free, hot and romantic, and over too soon. This is summer reading at its best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20