Profile for Rosalind Healy > Reviews

Content by Rosalind Healy

Rosalind Healy "fernhill gardener" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Runes of Redemption: Perth
Runes of Redemption: Perth

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic tale of rune magick, 5 Jun. 2015
This gripping story takes you on a journey through a universe that seems strangely familiar yet is of quite new invention. The author is clearly well versed in rune lore and uses her knowledge to introduce the reader to a magical, mysterious world populated with fascinating characters. You will meet real heroes and horrible villains. The cast includes a delightfully ironic and cynical dragon, a very troubled elf with serious OCD, a slightly invisible pony and a mixed up, confused, angry, yet loveable, heroine. The dark side has definitely got the upper hand in this tale and I really hope there will be follow up stories to witness the fight, and possible victory, of the rune caster and her supporters. Lively, enjoyable and written with immense verve and conviction.

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service. Book is immaculate., 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Paperback)
After reading Wolf Hall I had withdrawal symptoms so was desperate to read Bring Up the Bodies. It was far too expensive in ebooks or new so I was delighted to find this second hand copy. Trouble is when you are reading a Mantel, you really don't want to be doing anything else. Book and seller recommended.

Anti-Allergy Twin Pack (2) Pillows,Polyester Filled,Anti-Dustmite
Anti-Allergy Twin Pack (2) Pillows,Polyester Filled,Anti-Dustmite
Offered by zaktextiles

1.0 out of 5 stars Very thin, not what I expected., 16 Jun. 2014
These pillows were so thin and flimsy I tried doubling them up. They still aren't up to much and I wish I hadn't bothered. Pay a bit more and get some branded ones. I will next time, and I won't purchase online.

No-one Ever Grew Up Wanting To Be A Car Salesman
No-one Ever Grew Up Wanting To Be A Car Salesman
by Jon Tregenna

5.0 out of 5 stars No-one ever did, it's true...., 31 May 2014
I've read a lot of books in my time, but I have to confess, I've never read anything quite like this. Yes, it is about car salesmen and I can't think of a single other volume with that as a theme. It is set in the Welsh valleys, in deprived, emptied, sad lands; places where no one has worked for a long time and where opportunities are scarce, and probably the best thing to do is just leave; places where people do indeed try to leave but somehow get pulled back to.

It is funny. Darkly comic and comically tragic, sometimes farcical, always strangely believable. It is insightful, modern, sexy, street wise, clever, almost (I hate this expression) post modern. It is constantly surprising and I was taken off guard numberless times. As an example, the book starts with the words "the end".

Pulling this off successfully demonstrates that the writer has both great talent and experience. There is a big cast of characters and a plot that takes no prisoners. Keep up or you will be lost. There is no pedestrian explanation of motivation or even of what exactly is happening. The author assumes that you are smart enough and sufficiently mature to figure out what's happening without it being spelt out. I found this remarkably flattering and engaging.

The main character is an anti hero named Balders; middle aged, hopeless, trying desperately to pay overdue rent to a demanding landlord, to fend off his two cousins, Ryan and Bryan, who also serve as the local bailiffs and to keep his job at Wheelers, the only car salesroom in town. Balders has a secret life, the details of which I will not divulge to prevent spoiling the read for you. Ranged around this central character, and his mischievous rescue mutt, is a group of heroes and villains, men and women whose attempts to thrive and survive in the inhospitable world they inhabit, makes up the drama of the book.

You are introduced to a wide cast of characters, all three dimensional, very human, convincingly and uncynically depicted by a writer who has clearly met with many of them. You will recognise them too.

The episodic, plot-led, visually almost slapstick nature of this book screams out to be made into a series for television. I cannot imagine why no one has yet thought to make a sitcom based in a car sales room. It is the perfect environment to introduce the wild and wonderful array of characters we meet here and to expose the humour and pathos of the lives they lead. If this does not end up made into a TV show or in a movie I should be very surprised as it is perfect for it. Meanwhile I do encourage you to read this life enhancing, highly enjoyable book.

Holme White Pump Steam Mop
Holme White Pump Steam Mop

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems great, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Holme White Pump Steam Mop
Very easy to assemble. Light and manoeuvrable. Excellent price. Such a relief compared to my old mop. I would recommend if you are in the market for a steam mop.

Adult Magic Clothes Tshirts Folder Organizer Flip Fold
Adult Magic Clothes Tshirts Folder Organizer Flip Fold
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars Just changed my life, 18 Dec. 2013
I love love love this product. My drawers look amazing and I can't wait to get my washing dry to fold it. I urge you to buy this. Do not hesitate. Amazing and transformational..

All The Best Lines
All The Best Lines
by George Tiffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: All The Best Lines (Hardcover)
A cursory flick through reveals that this does exactly what it says on the cover no more, no less.
It's a gift so cannot really say more.

Kingavon BB-EB100 Single Electric Blanket - White
Kingavon BB-EB100 Single Electric Blanket - White
Offered by Bargain Warehouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best ever, 1 Dec. 2013
This is a very reasonably priced electric blanket. I bought it to replace one where the cord was damaged.
I think other reviewers said has either hot or off settings. This is true. There is very little to distinguish between 1 and 2, the two available settings and I would like a gentler setting really. The switch is extremely stiff and I sometimes struggle to switch it at all, though I expect it may ease up in time. It has definitely done the job in that my bed is lovely and toasty but I do wish I'd gone for a slightly better, more expensive version... But fine if you don't mind the drawbacks cited.

The Day My Life Changed
The Day My Life Changed

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and intelligent, 1 Dec. 2013
This book is a rollicking good read from start to finish. Once I had read the first chapter I could not wait to find out what happened next, becoming completely absorbed in Ro's changing fortunes and positively invested in her developing character. I often feel a bit short-changed by so called "chick lit" as I don't always find the situations credible nor the characters appealing but I found the world created in this work to be familiar, real and believable whilst the characters are interesting without being caricatures...It has lots of real life, identifiable grit, alongside some genuine glamour and sensuality.

The plot is satisfyingly complicated, as you would expect fom this accomplished author and each chapter ends on a note that makes you desperate to read the next one. The writing is brilliant. What I most enjoyed though, was the detail of Ro's life changing experiences; her job search, finding her feet in her new roles, her relationships with the new people she meets, the everyday detail of food, flowers and clothes.

Another reviewer has mentioned the inspirational descriptions of flowers and if you are at all interested in the art of flower presentation you will adore the fabulous descriptions of the arrangements created. I also loved the food in the book - there are some great recipes! Ro has a very distinctive fashion sense and I did enjoy reading about her clothes and the everyday choices she made about her self presentation. I think that is something we can all identify with and I have never read a book that details this so effectively or with such intelligence.

Ro's story is one that is utterly familiar in our time but it is given a bright, fresh perspective by this talented author. Women of a certain age will love but I do think there is a lot here for men too, as another reviewer has noted. A fun and memorable read.

Lindy 41372 - 2m HDMI Cable with Gold Connectors
Lindy 41372 - 2m HDMI Cable with Gold Connectors
Offered by RMXdirect-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars this cable changed my life, 5 Nov. 2013
Seriously it has. My savvy kids told me to get one of these so we could watch programmes from the laptop via the television. It works brilliantly and is so liberating. Cannot fault this cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8