Profile for Nancy Carter > Reviews

Content by Nancy Carter

Nancy Carter "Nan" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Burlesque [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Burlesque [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Cher

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Film Gratification, 5 Jun. 2011
Let's face it, no one went to see this film wanting Oscar award winning acting. Nor did we expect a complex challenging plotline. It's a feel-good film. It's got belting tunes, saucy dancing & kinky costumes. Hot guys, hot girls & a love triangle. It doesn't take itself seriously, & we're not meant to take it seriously either.

There are moments of true hilarity. I love where Christina's character [Ali] it practicing her dance moves in a 'dance move montage' & she's practicing while walking down the street. Cracking stuff!

It not all just laughing at the film, there are a lot of jokes that will have you laughing along with the film too.

Stanley Tucci plays his normal wonderful Stanley Tucci-self as Sean! Cher is really good actually; her character [Tess] is pretty much perfect for her. It's strange how Kristen Bell keeps getting cast in these 'bitchy' roles recently, it's not at all how I think of her from when she was in 'Veronica Mars', but she does seem to play it so well. Alan Cumming's role is quite small, but he makes the most of it. Cam Gigandet who I've never seen before plays Jack, one of the main male leads, & he carries the role well. There's also Mr McSteamy [Eric Dane] thrown in for extra spice.

From the trailers at the cinema leading up to the release I thought the whole thing was going to be a lot feistier, especially between Christina & Cher's roles, but it actually managed to surprise me by not trying to mimic a Velma Kelly vs. Roxie Hart, Chicago-esq rivalry storyline. Be prepared for Christina's voice to blow you away all over again as well. The whole thing is pleasing to the eye & easy on the mind. It's good Saturday night or Sunday afternoon watching.

Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
by Jane Austen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuasion: "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope.", 15 May 2011
I must say it was quite refreshing to read a Jane Austen that I have somehow never managed to see an adaptation of. Obviously the Pride & Prejudice by the BBC is such an amazing interpretation of the novel that most other adaptations of any of her novels pale in insignificance. So I was quite glad to be able to form the characters & setting in my mind without having been influenced by a TV interpretation.

Persuasion is not an Austen novel you hear of much, so I was not quite sure what to expect, but I was really surprised by how fast I read it & how much I enjoyed it. I don't think I can praise it enough.

Anne Elliot is a lovely protagonist, surrounded by her family who are trumped up on their own self-importance most of the time. Mary is described as the better sister, but even she's quite a handful of self-indulgent behaviour. Anne's father Sir Walter Elliot & Elizabeth are very selfish characters, luckily Anne is has many acquaintances who allow her to spend much of her time away from her family in much better company. It is while staying with her sister Mary & spending time with Mary's in-laws - The Musgrove's - that Anne is thrown back into the company of Frederick Wentworth, who has been promoted to the rank of Captain & has made his fortune in the intervening years since they last met.

I'm always struck by how down to earth Austen's characters are despite being surrounded by mostly vain & vapid society, I like to think that in choosing her characters personalities she was giving them a little bit of herself each time & appealing to the kind of reader who could empathise with how restricting life must have been for women of any class in Georgian Regency England. In the plot there is of course the traditional `overly charming gentleman' who turns out to be an absolute rogue of a man. Also the trademark revelatory letter upon which the story turns, which Austen fan will recognise that she usually uses the letters to show what the main male character is thinking & feeling at a very vital moment.

I was told that Persuasion had quite a mournful tone, but I found that despite Anne regretting the decision to refuse Captain Wentworth's offer of marriage 8 years previously, which obviously sets a certain lament of sadness; she was quite a steady character who found enjoyment in other people's happiness, which made her such a lovely character to read.

Persuasion is perhaps rivalling Emma for my Austen top spot.

The Jane Austen Book Club [DVD] [2007] [2008]
The Jane Austen Book Club [DVD] [2007] [2008]
Dvd ~ Maria Bello
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet & Unpretentious, 10 May 2011
This is a gorgeous little film. It is, as I have heard described, meant to be how several Jane Austen novels would play out if they were modernised. Some of the characters have several Jane Austen characters or plotlines that they have an affinity with, others it's harder to spot. Immediately the obvious one for me is seeing the similarities between Jocelyn & 'Emma', & as Jocelyn's character herself reflects upon the story line as `the humbling of the pretty know-it-all girl', though to that mixture I would also add rich girl. Prudie & Sylvia both have elements of `Persuasion' & `Mansfield Park' in their marriages & family lives. With Bernadette, she claims to `have had every marriage in this book' when talking about Pride & Prejudice, so you can see how cheekily & cleverly the storylines have been updated to fit the modern relationship.

If you have read some Jane Austen, it will make you want to read more. If you have read no Jane Austen it will make you want to read some. If you have already read all the Jane Austen's it will make you want to re-read them all, or track down the unfinished manuscripts & biographies, or even start a book club of your own. It's a film where feeling is contagious, & if you don't want to spring in to some kind of action at the end of it I'll be amazed.

There are no big budget sets here. No big 'A-Lister' stars to steal the show. They have involved an excellent mix of actors who you will recognise perhaps 2/3 of, but mostly their involvement is down to loving the original book, loving Jane Austen's books, & getting involved because of the great cast or the chance to play a really different & unusual character.

From watching the 'Extras' at the end there's this lovely feeling of really getting inside the film & the cast. The casting process is discussed & they describe how it was really down to the connections between actors, they wanted real chemistry to show through. Prudie's character [Emily Blunt] was key in this as they needed to cast a younger man as Trey who could be the kind of boy who would make you blush, & Marc Blucas was cast as her husband after they watched him do a scene with her & the director was so blown away with the connection she took about 30 seconds do decided to cast him & chased him down the street to tell him.

Overall it is a lovely understated film that is overlooked & not talked about enough. It's definitely one to invest in or take a chance on.

Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Katherine Heigl
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Duvet & Sofa Entertainment :), 10 May 2011
My dvd collection is broad & varying, as any good selection should be. But I must express a fondness for the films I suppose are branded 'chick flicks'. Sometimes you just fancy a bit of easy watching, snuggled up under the duvet for a lazy night in, 'chick flicks' are perfect in this respect.

I remember seeing the trailer for this with my best friend & saying "we have to go see that!". I'm a huge Katherine Heigl fan having followed her since she was in *cough* Roswell *cough* and have loved her transition from series like 'Gray's Anatomy' into film where it seems like she's just having fun with the roles she chooses. There have been lots of romcom-esq roles, for which she is perfect, but also some very different roles like in 'Knocked Up', & I cannot wait to see how she does as 'Stephanie Plum' in 'One For The Money' out later this year, as I have been a huge fan of Janet Evanovich's books for about 10 years now.

Also Josh Duhamel who is just great to watch, he's both eye-candy & very funny guy. I loved him in Las Vegas & always enjoy it when he crops up where you least expect it. Also he seems to be amazing with the babies who play Sophie [played by triplets, I believe], they really take to him & those are just the perfect little details you need in a film like this.

Curiously in romcoms they always give the lead female a really odd career, in this case Holly [Heigl] is a baker. Looking at her pervious roles in '27 Dresses' & 'The Ugly Truth' she's always in a job where she's playing the 'successful yet quite OCD character', not saying that romcoms are formulaic [well, okay they are a bit], but I kind of like this predictability in a weird way.

Anyway, all you really need to know about this film is it's a little sad but mostly lovely, funny & entertaining. Perfect for nights in with the girls or when you just fancy a lazy night in. It has a really good 'feel-good factor'. I've watched my copy several times so I think of it as a good investment for the collection.

Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 1 kg
Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 1 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Kept Secret!, 2 Feb. 2011
There are products which have 'superfood' stamped on them, chia however ought to have 'uber-super-ultra-mega food' stamped on the front of it from what I've learned.

I first learned about Chia through Christopher McDougall's 'Born to Run'. It was the thing which most captured my attention even though the whole book is packed full of fascinating stuff. As soon as he started to reveal a bit more about chia I had two thoughts: 1. "I've got to get some chia & try this for myself!" & 2. "I must know more!"

First thing I discovered is that there isn't much written on chia. Secondly I discovered that chia isn't all that common, almost nowhere sells it & nobody knows what the heck it is! So when the experts say it's the best kept natural health food secret there is, they're not exaggerating. However you can count on amazon to sell just about anything & everything. The bag featured here is actually much larger than it looks & will go further than you expect!

Chia was in it's heyday around the 12th Century among the Aztecs & the Mayans. It was considered a sacred food because, without all the scientific research that has been done on chia in recent years, they managed to perceive that even small quantities of this food gave the eater energy, stamina & good health.

If you are au fait with chia knowledge, you might have perhaps come across it in 'Born to Run' or articles relating to the Tarahumara. The Tarahumara are a Native American tribe who know the secrets of this desert food & managed to compete in a 200 mile Ultra-Marathon. They not only competed but took most of the top spot finishing positions, despite competing against much younger competitors who have all of today's modern running gadgetry, diet & training advice etc. To the Tarahumara, 200 miles is about average. They make running their business. It's how their ancestors hunted, by running their prey to exhaustion. It's second nature to them & they can do it because of their knowledge of how to harvest nature's most favoured food.

Chia's properties:

It can absorb up to 7 times it's weight of water - meaning it keeps you consistently hydrated.
It forms a gel [like energy gels] which slows the release of carbohydrates & the rate at which they are turned into sugars.
It contains ridiculous amounts of omega-3 & omega-6 which is essential for cell growth/repair & oxygen/nutrient uptake among many things.
Because of it's slow release of energy it can help with weight-loss & diabetes, it prevents blood sugar highs & lows which usually prompt food cravings.
It's full of calcium & B Vitamins.

I could go on, but I'll just mention here that there have been studies done which show chia as an anti-cancerous food, a brain booster for adults; children; & foetuses. It has had positive results in staving off the development of heart disease & Alzheimer's, as well as colds & viruses.

James F. Scheers's book, `The Magic of Chia' is an excellent study into chia's properties & the science behind it. The last 3rd of the book is recipes of how to use 'chia gel' or the dry seeds on their own, which is a very useful reference when experimenting.

I have been adding chia gel into my normal diet through soups etc. I'm starting small & monitoring my progress as I'm not going to assume the results are the same for everyone, but so far so good.

A final not on the supplier, when I ordered I was told to expect the product within 5-7days but it actually came the next day. Excellent service!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 11:58 AM BST

Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 500 g
Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 500 g

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Kept Secret!, 1 Feb. 2011

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 8:13 AM BST

Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 250 g
Buy Whole Foods Chia Seeds 250 g

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Kept Secret!, 31 Jan. 2011

First thing I discovered is that there isn't much written on chia. Secondly I discovered that chia isn't all that common, almost nowhere sells it & nobody knows what the heck it is! So when the experts say it's the best kept natural health food secret there is, they're not exaggerating. However you can count on amazon to sell just about anything & everything. The 250g bag featured here is actually much larger than it looks & will go further than you expect!

It's full of calcium & B Vitamins.

A final not on the supplier, I ordered & was told to expect the product within 5-7days but it actually came the next day. Excellent service!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2011 10:35 PM GMT

The Magic of Chia: Revival of an Ancient Food Wonder
The Magic of Chia: Revival of an Ancient Food Wonder
by James F. Scheer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic of Chia, 30 Jan. 2011
There are products which have 'superfood' stamped on them, chia however ought to have 'uber-super-ultra-mega food' stamped on the front of it from what I've learned from James F. Scheer's 'The Magic of Chia'

First thing I discovered is that there isn't much written on chia. Secondly I discovered that chia isn't all that common, almost nowhere sells it & nobody knows what the heck it is! So when the experts say it's the best kept natural health food secret there is, they're not exaggerating. As James F. Scheer reveals in the opening pages of this book, chia was in it's heyday around the 12th Century among the Aztecs & the Mayans. It was considered a sacred food because, without all the scientific research that has been done on chia in recent years, they managed to perceive that even small quantities of this food gave the eater energy, stamina & good health.

It's full of calcium & B Vitamins.

I could go on, but I'll just mention here that there have been studies done which show chia may act as an anti-cancerous food, a brain booster for adults; children; & foetuses. Can help stave off the development of heart disease & Alzheimer's, as well as colds & viruses.

This book is fascinating & will give you all the studies & evidence to back up what I have stated above & much more. It's written in an interesting & personable way, I would have stormed through it in a day if I hadn't had to go to work. The last 3rd of the book is recipes of how to use 'chia gel' or the dry seeds on their own.

You can count on amazon to sell just about everything, & yes, they do sell chia! I ordered a 250g bag, which is actually much larger than it looks.

So you can buy the book & the chia together & try this wonder food out for yourself!

Wild Swimming: 150 Hidden Dips in the Rivers, Lakes and Waterfalls of Britain
Wild Swimming: 150 Hidden Dips in the Rivers, Lakes and Waterfalls of Britain
by Daniel Start

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Stuff, 29 Jan. 2011
This is such a gorgeous book, just looking at it makes me want to be outdoors. I bought this quite late last year so I only managed to get out to a few swims in Derbyshire. I've already got my OL24 map at the ready with sites marked out for this years' adventures.

Swim site 72 Chatsworth Derwent was our first forray into the 'Wild Swimming World', which thinking of it now perhaps wasn't quite so 'wild', more like an entry level swim to get the feel for it. What I loved most was the beautiful colour of the water, all dark & rusty red. I've admired it from a far before but to actually submerge yourself in it is something amazing. The next place we tried wasn't far away, a little further down the river & had been recommended to us on the wild swimming website.

Normally I scuba dive which is such an amazing experience, but all the equipment & protective layers which are necessary to protect you from the cold have the disadvantage of cutting you off from really feeling the environment. Wild swimming it all about reveling in the outdoors, really feeling the enviroment & reclaiming our waterways.

A lot time, love & fun has obviously gone into the making of this book. It is stunning to look through & really well researched. Packed full of deatail. I can't get enough of it!

Good Food: One-pot Dishes: Triple-tested Recipes: Tried-and-tested Recipes (Good Food 101)
by Jeni Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars One-Pot Wonder!, 28 Jan. 2011
There was a time when I actually only had one pot to my name & I wish I'd had this book at the time. One-pot cooking is excellent for busy people, many of the dishes just require you add the ingredients & leave it to cook. Others need a bit more effort, but they are explained in concise & easy to understand way, literally anyone could master this style of cooking!

I have made the Smoked Haddock Chowder, Chicken & Spring Vegetable Stew, Moroccan Lemon Chicken & Sausage & Leek Hash so far. All have turned out to be excellent & easy to make. The 'Good Food 101 Series' make such excellent books, I'll probably be investing in a few more before long.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6