Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Het National Ballet
Offered by adfilms

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 18 Mar. 2013
Having seen Giselle by the Dutch National Ballet and Sir Peter Wright's production of Swan Lake I was looking forward to more of the same high standard and was not disappointed. The dancers were all uniformly good and the two leads even more so. The costumes were beautiful throughout and the sets matched them in lavishness. One touch I particularly liked was that, when introducing the fairies, was to have them

I did have two problems with this though. Although it technically makes more sense to have the Lilac Fairy as a non-dancing role I do like it when the Lilac Fairy does dance rather than being more of a character part. Also her head-dress was faintly ridiculous, IMHO. The other's a formatting problem, why exactly is this on two discs? Surely the ballet could be on one disc and any extras on the other without too much problem?

However these were minor problems and I feel this was definitely good value and superior to other productions by companies that would be considered better.

The Sea Hag
The Sea Hag

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Diverting, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Sea Hag (Kindle Edition)
While it's not the best book I've ever read it was alright. I wouldn't particularly recommend this to anyone over other books but it's a light, if somewhat generic, fantasy read. Aria was somewhat annoying as it was obvious from the moment she was introduced she was only there as a love interest for Dennis (it's quite difficult to take a hero seriously with a name like Dennis). Chester was also slightly irritating towards the end of the book. Not a book I'll read over and over but it was okay.

Macmillan Ballet Classics [DVD] [2011]
Macmillan Ballet Classics [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Covent Garden The Royal Ballet

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Moments, Some Good Moments, 19 Dec. 2012
Romeo and Juliet was fabulous. Having seen the Tamara Rojo and Lauren Cuthbertson versions, I think Alessandra Ferri outshines them, her dancing is so beautiful. Wayne Eagling is well-suited to her as a partner and, although not as spectacular as her when dancing alone, portrays Romeo very well. The story-telling is everything you would expect of the Royal and then some. The corps de ballet were generally very strong, the lead harlot lacked some of the spark of the other two productions but still danced well. It's worth buying for this DVD alone.

Manon I find it more difficult to love. I cannot fault the dancing but I find this ballet difficult to get into. The famous bedroom pas de deux is very good, however I find it hard to be drawn into the storyline and struggle to watch it all the way through, personally I find the heroine unlikeable, though I understand she is a very awkward character to portray and to understand. Worth a watch but I'm not convinced by it.

Prince of Pagodas is possibly the weakest of the three on this disc. As before I have no fault with the dancing and Darcey Bussell and Jonathan Cope excel in their roles. Again the storyline is difficult to get into and I find it difficult to maintain interest in the characters. Worth a repeat viewing however as there are some good moments.

It's worth it for R and J, but Manon and Prince of Pagodas deserve a viewing. Many people will disagree with me over Manon and Prince of Pagodas and that's fine, I won't fault the dancing but they weren't to my taste.

Chopin / Adam: Les Sylphides/ Giselle [DVD] [NTSC] [2011]
Chopin / Adam: Les Sylphides/ Giselle [DVD] [NTSC] [2011]
Dvd ~ Svetlana Beriosova

4.0 out of 5 stars A Historical Curiousity, 28 May 2012
I would only recommend this DVD to those ballet-lovers who have already seen Giselle and are buying it for the dancers. For those who haven't seen Giselle I would recommend a more modern production for first time viewing. This is simply because the filming style is quite poor, the cameras don't move with the unfortunate results of the screen showing only a dancer's skirt as she is carried off-stage past the camera. Giselle also seems more like a film with dancing than dancing being filmed as it is filmed in a studio rather than on stage. Other than that I have no problem with this DVD as the dancing is wonderful and is something to treasure.

Macmillan Triple Bill: Royal Ballet 2010 [DVD] [NTSC]
Macmillan Triple Bill: Royal Ballet 2010 [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Marianela Nuñez
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triple Bill to Treasure, 28 May 2012
As usual the Royal Ballet were superb.

Elite Syncopations is a lovely piece, two moments which stood out to me particularly were Iohna Loots and Liam Scarlett as the young, romantic duo and Steven McRae's assured solo. That's not to say the other dancers were not equally as good but those two are my favourite moments. The costumes were wonderful and even on video a sense of light heartedness came across clearly.

The Judas Tree is much more difficult, both to watch and to describe. At first glance it seems clear cut but there is more substance to it when thought about in more depth. It won't be to everyone's tastes but I would recommend watching it at least once. Leanne Benjamin and Edward Watson showed why they are such a good partnership and Carlos Acosta was equally as good.

Concerto is the last and my favourite of three. The music is wonderful, I'm not so keen on the costumes but they suit the ballet and the sets so a blind eye can be turned. The central pas de deux with Rupert Pennefather and Marianela Nunez is beautiful and Steven McRae and Yuhui Choe are, as always, brilliant. Helen Crawford, though not as well-known as the other four, held her own with them easily in my eyes.

The additional interviews were interesting and informative and definitely worth a watch in the case of the Judas Tree.