Profile for Catherine Stevens > Reviews

Catherine Stevens (York)

Magic Bites: A Kate Daniels Novel: 1
Magic Bites: A Kate Daniels Novel: 1

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave urban fantasy series, 13 Oct. 2013
I absolutely love this series - I could not get enough and ended up downloading each book straight after the last. The characters are complex and interesting, and you really take a vested interest in their welfare. There are spin off books that help you get to know other characters, and it is very easy to get caught up in the Kate Daniels world. The authors have managed to build the perfect match of comedy, drama and tension. Fabulous!

The only advice I have is to not purchase the Curran POV books from amazon - you can download them for free on many websites, including the author's blog.

Bloodfire (Blood Destiny Book 1)
Bloodfire (Blood Destiny Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab urban fantasy series, 13 Oct. 2013
This is the start of really good series of 5 books. Contains all the usuals: shifters, mages, fae, vampires with the requisite feisty heroine and the compulsory sexual tension.

This first book is a good start and I immediately downloaded the second, then then third.... What I really liked is that whilst the books flow seamlessly together, they all have very different storylines, so I didn't get bored like I have with some series.

Up there with the Kate Daniels series.

Curran: Volume I (Curran POV Book 1)
Curran: Volume I (Curran POV Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 21 Aug. 2013
There are four short sections to this book - one for each of the Kate Daniels books 1-4. I don't feel you really gain much of an insight into Curran that hasn't already been made clear in the main books themselves. Too much explanation of what's going on rather than an insight into what Curran is thinking and why. With only one short section for each book many opportunities to give insight have been missed such as when Curran stood Kate up for dinner.

Also, I have subsequently found out that this can be downloaded for free on several websites, including the author's blog.

Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution
Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution
by Nick Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Best popular science book I've read so far..., 29 Oct. 2011
I rarely write book reviews, but enjoyed this so much that I feel compelled to share!

This is a thoroughly engaging and interesting book, with my favourite chapter being on The Origin of Life, no, Hot Blood, no, Photosynthesis, no.... to be honest I can't pick! However, for someone wanting an up to date and comprehensive view on the possible origins of life on Earth chapters 1 and 2 are a must read.

True, it is not an 'easy read' - the writing is small and you might have to take it slow and read a bit at a time or pause to cogitate and comprehend - but I think that Lane really has the knack of explaining complex science in a way that is accessible to the non-specialist.

That being said, I am a Biology teacher so may have an advantage of understanding it here and there. I have recommended it to all my A Level students (and many colleagues), and it fits particularly well with the A2 course.

I have now started reading Lane's "Power, Sex and Suicide" which is also good, but I am finding it a little more difficult to get through.