ARRAY(0xb59c20c0)

Profile for N. Richardson > Reviews

Content by N. Richardson

N. Richardson (N Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Six Years
Six Years
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I think he wrote it when he was 12, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Six Years (Kindle Edition)
The plot's ok... it's just badly told. Really, it's awful. I'm sorry to say that, because he's written some really good stuff - but this is just an exploitation of fans who, like me, bought it thinking it would be of the same standard. If his name wasn't on the cover, you'd NEVER guess it was Harlan Coben. The writing style is terrible; the hero one-dimensional; there a very few, and all equally one-dimensional, supporting characters... the ending is cheesy and predictable. Buy a good cup of Betty's Earl Grey tea instead.

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher 18)
by Lee Child
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars My first Lee Child disappointment, 2 Jan 2014
I've read every Reacher book over and over again - and I couldn't wait for this to come out. What a disappointment! Started well, and then just got really, really boring. REALLY boring. I was skipping through the pages, trying to get to the end and see if it would redeem itself. It didn't. Any other author and I'd have abandoned it half-way through. The plot is monotonous, the 'clever' thinking is now simply beyond credibility. No tension. No surprises. Little humour. The denouement happens in the last couple of pages, and isn't very interesting - just a rushed ending. What a disappointment!

digfast
digfast
by Quin Woodward Pu
Price: 6.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-use of adjectives is a sure indicator, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: digfast (Paperback)
She can't write - and a sure sign is always the over-use of adjectives. As is a fixation with self. You have been warned.

Alfa AWUS036NEH 1000mW 1W 802.11g/n High Gain USB Wireless G / N Long-Range WiFi Network Adapter Dongle With Original Alfa 5dBi and 7dBi Panel Antenna
Offered by Shopper's Saving
Price: 21.99

1.0 out of 5 stars STOP!! Don't buy this ludicrous product., 25 Sep 2013
My cat designs better products than this. Here are a few of the issues:

- Doesn't save your wifi key, so you have to enter it manually every time you connect! ie every time you turn your computer on

- Keeps dropping the connection (like 6-10 times a day) - so you have to keep MANUALLY reconnecting and re-entering the key

- Often (oh, way too often) even re-entering the wifi key to reconnect isn't enough - you have to reboot (not restart) the computer

- Even then, when you repeatedly enter the correct wifi key, it just sits there saying 'disconnected' - cue another reboot...

- Sometimes it physically connects, and you can see all the little histograms dancing, but you can't actually open any webpages or use email!

- When you finally decide you want to destroy the people who made this product (and all their children, pets and possessions going back 100 generations and forward 100 generations for good measure), and you try to uninstall it, you can't! It won't!

- The company that made this has been bought out by another company, which doesn't provide downloadable driver updates or any support.

You have been warned!

Lavendar Pukka Pads x6
Lavendar Pukka Pads x6
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited
Price: 22.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as dark as in the pic!, 26 July 2013
I worried about the colour, from the photos, but it's a really nice lavender - not overpowering, butnot wishy-washy either. I don't have vision issues; I just wanted something a bit different, and they're really nice.

The Governor's Wife
The Governor's Wife
by Mark Gimenez
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a BAD book., 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Governor's Wife (Paperback)
Bad, bad, bad. This is a BAD book. All his others have been GOOD books, but this one is BAD. (Did I mention that it's bad?)

I don't know what Giminez was thinking, or if he thunk at all. Did he even write it? Perhaps - finally - all those monkeys locked in a room with typewriters have finally produced a book, and this is it.

As other reviewers have said, characters are excruciatingly wooden and one-dimensional. They fit laughably old-fashioned stereotypes. Macho cigar-chewing men who like to hunt; a beautiful rich woman looking for purpose; a sacrificial Latino doctor with flashing eyes who falls for the beautiful rich woman looking for purpose; a silk-suited, chest-thumping drug-cartel overlord who also falls for the beautiful rich woman looking for purpose... It's embarrassing. These characters have been done a million times before, and mostly in cheap 1960s penny-dreadfuls.

Worst of all is the dialogue. Rather than give us background information in the narrative, Giminez provides it through the characters' speech. So you have people say things like (not a direct quote): "Good morning John, we've been married for years and you're a powerful politician. We live in Texas and have a daughter at university. Would you like a coffee?" And when Latino people speak to each other (in Spanish, but Giminez supplies it in English for the reader), the speech is wooden, as if they are trying hard to speak English, but not managing very well.

The dialogue is a delight from one perspective only - laugh-out-loud comedic value. Here's a gem from page 178 (can't believe I've stuck with it so far): "It is I who seek revenge. It is I who demand justice. They killed my wife, Hector, but I did not seek revenge then because it was a mistake. I did not kill the gringos then because that would not have been justice. But this... this was no mistake..."

I wouldn't mind, but I spent actual money on this book. Even second-hand, it wasn't worth it.

Brand from the Inside: Eight Essentials to Emotionally Connect Your Employees to Your Business
by Libby Sartain
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrived so late I'd forgotten about it, 18 April 2013
Ordered 29 March, due by 16 April, arrived 18 April. Came from the USA, but even so. I guess, if nothing else, it was like a surprise through the post. I;ve had stuff later... but I've also had it a lot sooner.

Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
by Alina Wheeler
Price: 20.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding resource for branding professionals, 3 April 2013
It's tough to find books about branding that aren't either (a) self-help manuals which over-state the obvious and are therefore useless if you know almost anything at all about marketing, or (b) which take the case-study approach - often involving huge, existing brands like Coca-Cola or IBM and scenarios you may never face.

This book, however, is sharp, bang up to date (4th edn) and ideal for anyone involved in building and articulating brands. Don't be put off by 'designing' in the title: it's ideal for copywriters (like me) and planners, for example, and as a resource or even a refresher for experienced branding professionals.

Beautifully presented, a delight to read, 300+ fascinating pages... it definitely doesn't have an academic feel, but it does takes you through processes and metrics, rather than woolly suggestions, and there's a huge amount to get your teeth into. It's the first book I've encountered which looks at brand-building as a process and a science, as something which can be followed, and it provides the tools to help you do it. If I wasn't afraid of appearing to gush, I'd say I'd stumbled on trade secrets I should be paying a fortune for under the label 'consultancy'.

Definitely recommended - although, unlike all the other books I wasted my money on, this one won't be a quick scan-read!

How Fatima Started Islam: Mohammad's Daughter Tells It All: 1
How Fatima Started Islam: Mohammad's Daughter Tells It All: 1
by Noor Barack
Price: 6.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious prose, 23 Sep 2012
I certainly won't be reading this obnoxious, offensive book, which has obviously been 'written' (I used the word advisedly) to provoke a reaction. What did entertain me, however, was the 'look inside' feature, where you can admire the truly APPALLING writing style. I mean, why bother with correct punctuation, sentence construction or syntax? Why bother with good research, or a balanced view? This book will injure your brain on so many levels.

Nicky Clarke NHD093 Mayfair Collection Vitesse Dryer 2500W
Nicky Clarke NHD093 Mayfair Collection Vitesse Dryer 2500W
Price: 25.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I hoped it would be, 17 Aug 2012
I have the kind of hair that looks like it wants to escape. It's very thick, coarse and wiry - but not, sadly, wavy or curly. If I leave my hair to dry naturally, it looks like I styled it with dynamite. But it takes forever to dry with a normal hairdryer, which means I often give up before it's fully dry at the roots and the back, with unhappy consequences (Monica, Barbados).

My old hairdryer broke so I ordered this because of the 2500W. Although Amazon eventually refunded my delivery fees because they screwed up delivery, this hairdryer was worth the wait. It's very powerful and fast, so I'm not boring myself to death while using it, and I don't give up before my hair is 100% dry - so I get a better result.

For some reason (and I've had ionic hairdryers before, but this seems better) it really does leave my hair surprisingly silky. It's not a sensation I'm used to, but it's very welcome.

Basically, if your hair's a bit pubey, this is for you.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2014 5:44 PM GMT