ARRAY(0xabf2b3cc)

Page: 1 | 2
by Dr Nina Burrowes
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Now THAT is a GOOD BOOK, 3 April 2014
How wonderfully, utterly refreshing and helpful. It feels like an awful lot of psychology is cleverly hidden in this easy and fun to read book on a subject which I see at the heart of most personal and global issues around today.
Nina does a priceless job of putting real value and meaning back into highly abused and devalued language.
AND IT'S ALL DONE WITH CARTOONS!!
Read it in 10 minutes, and then come back and read it again over 10 weeks. This book is important.
Aaaaah... Thank you Nina.

Price: 4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Now THAT is a GOOD BOOK, 3 April 2014
AND IT'S ALL DONE WITH CARTOONS!!
Aaaaah... Thank you Nina.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps falling off, 30 Jan 2014
Hmm. Strangely it just seems to be me having this experience. The proper Oral B ones stay one fine, but these cheap ones didn't clip on tightly, and kept falling off, leaving me at any time likely to end up with a vibrating metal spike up my nose. Toothbrushing has never been so tense.

One Minute Meditation
One Minute Meditation
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much nourishment, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: One Minute Meditation (Paperback)
A one-off review will not do this book justice, in the same way that a one-off read will not.
While reading this book, I was delighted and inspired by the way that Simon, firmly but delicately, raises issues concerning myself and the world that I might want to consider... or better, as Simon suggests, to contemplate.
Each page has the likelihood of sowing an imperceptible seed, and that seed would benefit from regular watering; much nourishment will come from me regularly returning to this book, long after this initial reading.

Instinctive Fitness: A re-evolutionary approach to diet and exercise
Instinctive Fitness: A re-evolutionary approach to diet and exercise
by Mr Oliver Selway
Price: 12.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, usable wisdom, 11 May 2013
A LOT of work must have gone into this book to make it read so simply. I absolutely loved it - what a fantastic piece of work.

I never knew I was into the Paleo thing until I read it. I guess I stumbled into it a bit because it makes so much sense. A while ago I found myself quitting the gym, and instead using trees, bare feet and bodyweight, and experimenting with what I did and didn't eat. However, my exercise remained mainly 'session' based - still a bit structured and unspontaneous...so sometimes it still didn't happen.

This book has given me the ideas to fully release myself to spontaneous, natural exercise and rhythms in everyday life and fully abandon the idea of formal exercise. So thank you Olly! Other readers will find it equally easy to try out approaches that work for them, all because it is so simple and not prescriptive.

Before I came across this book I had been reading stuff like Naked Ape, Power of Myth and One Straw Revolution. Another fantastic thing about this book is how it brings together a vast and deep array of philosophical, anthropological and spiritual concepts and presents them in such a reachable way, through Olly's medium of instinctive fitness. Genius.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2013 10:13 AM BST

Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want is to be Slim
Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want is to be Slim
by Zoe Harcombe
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The value of understanding your most basic activity, 11 Mar 2013
I am not overweight, or looking to lose any weight, but I found this book fabulous.

For me, it was fascinating to finally learn how my body uses the different food I put in it. Zoe has worked hard to distil the truth from a tangle of mixed messages, and explains it in a very understandable way.

The value for me in this book is in the awareness it brought me. We eat so much food made by other people, not knowing what's in it, that it's so wonder we can lose control over what it does to us.

This isn't an eating plan really (as I can't stand these), but rather it's helping eating education and advice. It showed me how I can tell myself stories that aren't true - in this case that I am at the peak of my health. I thought I was very healthy, but I was startled at the effect was on me of only eating "real food". First I felt dizzy and weak, despite eating plenty of good food. Then when that passed (after a few days), I felt fresher than ever, lighter in my head and mood, and much more conscious and deliberate about what I put in myself.

Thank you Zoe - this is valuable for anyone who eats.

From Me to We: The Five Transformational Commitments Required to Rescue the Planet, Your Organization, and Your Life
by Bob Doppelt
Price: 14.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Confront the truth, if you care...and if you dare, 21 Nov 2012
This is a precious and important contribution not just to the whole climate change and sustainability debate, but to the whole debate about what it is to be human.

Bob is a master at revealing where the connections lie...and they exist everywhere. How he has managed to pull together environmental science, psychology, economics, anthropology, sociology, philosophy and spirituality into such an understandable and moving piece of work is beyond me. But well done. Now all we should do is care enough to read it. And then do something.

That’s where the daring bit comes in. This is a topic that is easy to shrug off due to its complexity and uncertainty. But when you read a book like this which shines such a clear light that there are no shadows to hide in, it will be impossible for you to avoid making changes for the better.

Change can be exciting or scary, but either way, if you read this book and digest its (highly digestible) messages, things somehow won’t feel the same any more.

Bravo, Bob.

Please Take One: One Step Towards a More Generous Life
Please Take One: One Step Towards a More Generous Life
by Mike Dickson
Price: 7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Read This, 29 Oct 2012
A thought provoking and completely unpatronising philosophical framework.
A much needed wake-up call about what is going on outside your social circle.
Valuable insight into a generous man’s experience in contributing to his world.
And highly practical tips and guides on starting to do the same yourself.

This should be compulsory reading.

Please read this, and buy it for a few other people too.

Pippa's Progress
Pippa's Progress
Price: 8.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The path from here to a deeper here, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Pippa's Progress (Paperback)
A person who tries to suggest that we are utterly insane in the way we live in our culture will often receive a hostile reaction. If that person goes on to suggest that it is important for humans to attain a higher level of consciousness, they risk losing all credibility and themselves being considered insane.

There is, however, a case to be made. Simon Parke has valuable insight, and can go on to find wonderful ways of putting it across with all of its impact and none of the hostile or incredulous reaction. That is his magic, and you will feel it in Pippa's Progress.

"The goal of life is to become who we are...The path is not to take you from one place to another, but from here to a deeper here." I especially liked that.

Having read it, I encourage anyone to try Pippa's Progress and perhaps try a bit of exploring of their own as they go. It is open to interpretation - it might seem light or it might seem very deep.

And then try it in different ways with a few of Simon's other books (I liked Solitude a lot, it really made me think).

Solitude
Solitude
Price: 11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars The concept of mindfulness has never been so well framed, 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Solitude (Paperback)
I didn't find this book, this book found me.

This book is an excellent gateway to a diverse but interconnected set of concepts that are so meaningful that it could actually change the way you view things.

It is written in a light and highly digestible way, but is by no means lacking in depth or punch.

If you are open to the possibility that your mind might sometimes be out of control, might be controlling you (with exotic consequences), and that balance can be restored through a process of waking up, then you will get a lot from this book.

If you are open to the possibility that many of the things we feel we know might be an inaccurate simulation of how things really are, then you will eat this book up.

For any reader it's possible to find a large number of reasons to appreciate this book.

Thank you Simon Parke for taking the time to articulate your wonderful insights and share them with us.

Page: 1 | 2