Profile for C. Alleyne > Reviews

Toxic...No More
Toxic...No More
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Read, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Toxic...No More (Kindle Edition)
This is a book of searing honesty which made me both cry and laugh. Beyond that it is extremely well written and once started I couldn't put it down. Her turn of phrase is mesmerising - 'eyebrows meeting in the middle like old buddies out on the piss', 'the manager slings me a look like he regrets leaving his job as a knife-thrower' or 'he dashes out of the dark studio to his dressing room and I get me some eye-contact for my collection'. I hope this is made into a film so a wider audience can learn from this inspirational story.

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but..., 11 Mar 2013
The Kindle Paperwhite's best feature is that it is so easy to see the screen whatever the lighting. The navigation though is quite clunky which at the moment spoils my enjoyment. Hopefully operating upgrades will improve this to a more Apple-like understanding of how users interact with the device. Another issue for me is that I want to tell people about books etc I've downloaded and recommend them but I don't appear to be able to do this in Kindle which is a shame and a huge marketing misstep.

Ha-Bloody-Ha
Ha-Bloody-Ha
Price: 0.92

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Gem, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ha-Bloody-Ha (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful read. Each story is a clever mash up of two books (and a couple of other sources) so that 50 Shades of Grey for instance is written by Jane Eyre as the main character. I enjoyed every story which is unusual and look forward to reading the next volume if there is one. I sincerely hope there is.

Mistress of the Sea
Mistress of the Sea
by Jenny Barden
Price: 12.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Mistress of the Swashbuckler..., 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mistress of the Sea (Hardcover)
From the vivid opening scenes of bear baiting, the reader is transported into an Elizabethan England far from the usual Court locations and characters. The initial setting for Mistress of the Sea is Plymouth and soon moves to the dangers of the exotic New World where the ruthless Spaniards and inhospitable terrain taunt Will Doonan, Ellyn Cooksley, Francis Drake and the rest of the privateers.

Jenny Barden captures all the smells, sights, sounds and customs of sixteenth century life with consummate skill. This, combined with the heart-stopping action of the battle and torture scenes and the wiil-they-won't-they love story between Will and Ellyn bought this epic tale to life and I didn't want it to end. Even though I have read this book in its earlier drafts (something I only do if the story is worth it), I couldn't put it down. A book to buy and treasure.

Unimagined: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
Unimagined: A Muslim Boy Meets the West
by Imran Ahmad

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Read, 17 Feb 2009
I loved this book - it is heart-warming, funny and gave me a wonderful incite into an upbringing so very different from my own. I was lucky enough to hear Imran speak about his book when he came to St. Albans. He is a brilliant raconteur, so if you ever get the chance to see him on one of his book tours - don't miss it!

God Emperor of Didcot (Space Captain Smith)
God Emperor of Didcot (Space Captain Smith)
by Toby Frost
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What an excellent cup of tea!, 23 Nov 2008
Absolutely spiffing! I loved the first book 'Space Captain Smith' and its humourous take on the British Empire in outer space. It's wonderful to have Smith, Suruk, Carver et al back and this is even funnier than the last. Can't wait for the third...

Space Captain Smith
Space Captain Smith
by Toby Frost
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud, 30 May 2008
This review is from: Space Captain Smith (Paperback)
I have just finished Space Captain Smith and absolutely loved it. Sci-fi is not usually my thing but because of its deft humour and the wonderful tongue-in-cheek historical allusions, that didn't matter in the slightest. The Flashman-like throwback Isambard Smith is a brilliant character and his escapades aboard the John Pym spaceship with his motley crew are laugh out loud. The will-he-ever sexual tension between Smith and Rhianna, the woman he is trying to save, is also very funny. Apparently a second book is being published soon and I hope there is a whole series of them.