Profile for Clive Smart > Reviews

Content by Clive Smart

Clive Smart "Clive" (U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Chasing an Elusive God: The Bible's Quest and Ours
Chasing an Elusive God: The Bible's Quest and Ours
by Ray Vincent
Price: 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a truly awesome book for a better, more grown up and honest-yet respectful look at the Bible, 13 May 2014
I have really enjoyed this book. I am a teacher of Religious Studies and have a Theology background-but yet I felt I was learning and being inspired and confirmed in my own directions of thought by reading this book.
It is easy to read and looks at the Bible as a book that reflects man's thoughts, questions and wrestling with the God question down through the centuries in the Judeo-Christian Tradition that has become the Bible.
It is so refreshing to see an author deal honestly with the difficult passages in scripture-without excessive apologetics-and yet able to see the immense value of the Bible as a source of questions (as much/more than answers) and as a springboard so that we may be take it seriously but not necessarily literally. The Bibliography and further reading section: will open the reader to a whole new world of possibilities (of the non-dry and boring variety!) and will take you beyond slavish obeisance to a particular denomination or to passive reception of scripture and homilies in the pews.
This book is every bit as good as anything the like of Marcus Borg has published in the US and it will inspire and challenge academics and lay readers alike. This book helps to make a critical thinker and an engaged seeker of God of the reader-I'll apply that to my Bible reading with gratitude.

Christ Files The [DVD] [NTSC]
Christ Files The [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ John Dickson
Offered by The Book Depository Ltd
Price: 6.61

5.0 out of 5 stars great serious resource for schools, students and teachers, 25 Dec 2013
as a teacher of religious studies I can't praise this DVD series enough. young and old today tend to think faith is irrational and that the Bible is a construct of Chinese whispers and legend. Instead John Dickson presents the gospels and the life of Jesus as ancient history and asks top scholars in various fields for their insights. This is solid food and pastor and student, teacher and searcher will get lots out of this. I'll be using it in my lessons and with the youth definitely.

Peaceful Mind Heian Karate Shotokan Kata Bunkai/oyo
Peaceful Mind Heian Karate Shotokan Kata Bunkai/oyo
Price: 6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of a bunkai awakening! Karate actually works!, 24 April 2013
Its easy to train in Karate for years and years and really just be going around in sweaty circles (or lines up and down the dojo!) As a frustrated adult Karate-ka I needed more and heard about John Burke's very practical, very effective and complete-take on Shotokan Karate. I have never looked back. If you are looking for a practical Karate within the traditions-I would say look no further. I have trained with many of the top Japanese guys over the years-I did not get from them anything like what you'll find in all of John's work. In this book (as in his DVDs etc) you'll find the Katas are clearly demonstrated and then their applications are thoroughly studied-stage by stage with good descriptions and photographs. Usually 2 or 3 variations of application are offered for each move-they all work and all are solutions to real, likely acts of physical violence. (Not simply Karate vs Karate, but Karate vs (untrained) thug).
As a Karate and self defence instructor myself I use this book (and his DVDs and youtube clips) frequently to plan my classes and they enrich our classes massively. John's Karate has renewed my faith in Shotokan-when many have written it off as a mere Sport excessively tainted and watered down etc. I ask John many questions about Shotokan, the Katas-those seemingly "bizarre movements in Katas" etc via his Youtube site or email and he is always very obliging and helpful. This has helped sustain my interest in the art and allowed me to progress even while living in a remote corner of Ireland.
Thoroughly recommended then!

USN Protein Delite 96 g Toffee Almond High Protein Snack Bars - Box of 12
USN Protein Delite 96 g Toffee Almond High Protein Snack Bars - Box of 12
Price: 32.76

5.0 out of 5 stars High protein and great taste, 17 Nov 2012
High protein and great taste-worth eating if your pumping iron. This makes it so much easier to abstain from crappy chocolate bars-this tastes like a big Lion bar.

Nutrisport 90+ Protein 5Kg Chocolate
Nutrisport 90+ Protein 5Kg Chocolate
Price: 46.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good budget product, 17 Nov 2012
Nice chocalate taste-massive tub of high protein shake-and quite frankly am amazed at those who said it tasted so bad. It is a treat and 40g of protein per drink. Honestly tastes fine and good price. Just wash lid-open it carefully the first time so you dont lose a heap of your protein.

Crank [DVD]
Crank [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor film made by adolescents obviously!, 17 Aug 2012
This review is from: Crank [DVD] (DVD)
Really poor film-so hard just to get through-cheesy, unrealistic and disturbing rather than funny.
The violence is often unethical-and not entertaining, the women in the set feature as "bitches"-superficial facades of real women. There is a rape scene that turns into a public display and this is deemed comedy and drugs are dealt with in a simplfied, glorified way-like I say an adolescent production!
Why did I bother, I hope this can spare someone the wasted time and sensory agony: unless your 15 or under!

Live Your Dreams
Live Your Dreams
Price: 4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Just do it!, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Live Your Dreams (Kindle Edition)
All of Geoff's Positive psychology stuff are great. This book is no exception: it kept the winter blues off at bay (a bit anyway) this year and all I can really say is time with Geoff I find is time well invested. He is a down to earth guy who writes in a positive down to earth manner: sincerity oozes from his pen! You can't sit and moan and blame others or say its too late while you read this book: live your dreams or stay in the armchair feeling depressed...Geoff is motivational because he's an ordinary bloke, who had a clear goal and went for it and he's still on that road today: in this book he shares some handy tips and great insights.

The Elephant and the Twig
The Elephant and the Twig
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A book impossible to read while internally grumbling/moaning or feeling sorry for yourself!, 1 Feb 2012
And for that this book is getting top marks! I read this book on a retreat in a Catholic monastery: not that that is necessary!! But it really spoke to me: I love the author's pleasant, yet direct challenge to us to discover our goals- and realise them. His conversational style is very pleasant: even more so if you know something about the guy (listen to his podcasts on [...] for that) This book is circulating around my family and getting us up off the sofa and into a more positive- get up and go-winner mentality.
The book is full of excellent illustrations and examples both from the world's wisdom texts but even more powerfully from Geoff's own rich life. If you want to up your game and be inspired positively then give this book a go.

How To Breathe Breathing Exercises Box Set - Pranayama [DVD]
How To Breathe Breathing Exercises Box Set - Pranayama [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Gluck
Price: 66.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A great jewel- deeply recommended for the sincere yogi., 22 Aug 2011
I purchased this box set about two months ago and I have to say it is still a joy to pick up and put aside some time to play it and breathe! There must be hours and hours of instruction on this DVD but its not all waffle, its Matt smilingly and vitally taking you through each exercise. I've started taking classes with Matt and find him such an easy guy to get on with and to take instruction from: he has a smiley, warm personality that brightens my practice anyway... This is also reflected on these DVDS: no pretention (which is refreshing) -just a teacher who loves breathing (well) passing on his findings.
The DVDS carefully give you the contraindications and the benefits at the start of each sequence.
Matt has also responded happily and, sometimes at length, to my questions on individual exercises on these DVDs via his website pranasana- and after his classes. That is true yoga if you ask me: yoga beyond the business card as it were....
Lastly, you have pranayama here for a life time of quiet exploration. Two months on- I've only scratched the surface of possibilities and exercises in the set.

Clear White Travel Plastic Yoga Neti Pot
Clear White Travel Plastic Yoga Neti Pot
Offered by Amazing Health
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars breathe clear like your along the beach!, 21 July 2011
Can't sing the praises of Neti practice enough and this simple no frills model- does just what it should: cleans your nose of all that mucus and dust and gunk and leaves me (anyway) feeling refreshed and clear headed. I'm a school teacher so I breath in a lot of dust/germs....I'm starting to do it each day after school- like brushing your teeth!
Good to start a meditation or yoga session too. This model fits an ample quantity of salt water for both nostrils and is sturdy and handy for going in a travel bag.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3