Profile for Amalia > Reviews

Content by Amalia

Amalia "Austen lover" (PERAHORA, Greece)

Finding Lost: The Unofficial Guide Seasons 1 & 2
Finding Lost: The Unofficial Guide Seasons 1 & 2
by Nikki Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars She really doesn't like Jack!, 5 Mar. 2009
Okay, as a huge fan of LOST I bought this for the details it provides and things I might have missed. It's a good read, providing interesting details not only for the episodes but for the cast too which I like. I was going to order the other books too, but I can't stand the authors huge dislike for one of my favorite characters. Every time she mentions Jack (and it's a lot) she goes on about how rude he is, how he acts like people are beneath him, how he becomes a dictator?!?! It drives me crazy and I think that she should be a little more unbiased. Also, in the part where she finds the NUMBERS in each episode, quite a few of the times is a big stretch. She has done her research though and for that I give her three stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 2:02 PM BST

Austenland
Austenland
by Shannon Hale

1.0 out of 5 stars Austen-what?, 30 July 2007
This review is from: Austenland (Hardcover)
Ok, I understand that everyone wants to take a piece of the huge Austen-fans pie and I admit that I bought the book because the main character had a Darcy-Firth-crush (I can relate to that) but this was a poorly written harlequin-like novel. I was really disappointed. The only thing I'm grateful about is that the writer didn't write anything actually involving Austen characters.

Apart from anything to do with Darcy or Austen etc, even if it was called WhateverLand it's still not worth my time. I actually had to scan some of the pages, in order to get on and over with it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 30 July 2007
The absolute opposite of OOTF where the action was limited to the last section of the book. Brilliant, loved the ups and downs, loved and hated the frustration, loved not being able to wait to turn the page to find out what's next. It was really up to my expectations and I just hoped it would be a bigger book. I was kinda dissappointed when I opened the amazon parcel.

I have to admit that I am absolutely desperate that this was the last book and I have to say goodbye to Harry. I really really hope that JK will change her mind and write a book or two (or three or four ;o) that will take place during those 19 years in between.

In the Woods: Dublin Murder Squad:  1
In the Woods: Dublin Murder Squad: 1
by Tana French

2.0 out of 5 stars I really had my hopes up, 30 July 2007
I'm either stupid or there's a sequel to this. I don't know what I expected exactly, but for sure I wasn't expecting a novel that was slow, not a thriller actually but more of a psychological portrayal of its main character and so abruptly stopped.

I didn't like the first person narration, I didn't like the ending and I can't figure out what was the purpose of keep going on and on about his two friends if we weren't supposed to find out what happened to them.

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
by Linda Berdoll

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, my God! Awful!, 9 Feb. 2007
I can't see how a Jane Austen fan would ever enjoy this book. If you ignore the names and pretend it is not a sequel to a great book, you might find it interesting (as in a romance paperback novel with graphic descriptions of "lovemaking"). Mrs Berdol made it quite clear from the first page that this book is not about Lizzy's heart but about a different part of her body. Well I thought she was joking, but to my disappointment it is true.

In addition, the writer tries so hard to write in "old english" or whatever, but she can't possibly avoid to show she's not from that time or place. You read and suddenly a phrase seems so out of there. I really hated this book. This is Jane Austen. A little more respect to the original would be great.