Profile for readalongafrank > Reviews

Content by readalongafrank

readalongafrank

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective Series)
The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good, 23 Sep 2014
I found this book to be very enjoyable. It maintained my interest throughout, with the characters being interesting and different, and the storyline surprisingly good. I was, however, slightly disappointed in the ending which seemed a bit tame.

A Murderous Affair
A Murderous Affair

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 7 Sep 2014
Not sure early on but grew into it. Eventually found it quite enjoyable. Set in the right historical context without too much detail, and with a few surprises thrown in. I could easily identify with the main characters, and was pleased that I stuck with it.

Villanelle: Hollowpoint (Kindle Single Book 2)
Villanelle: Hollowpoint (Kindle Single Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 7 Sep 2014
Very disappointed. Although classed as a short novel it was even shorter than I expected. I did not find the story line nor the characters in the least bit credible. This is the first time I have given any book just one star, and will not be reading any more of this authors titles.

Soldiers in the Mist
Soldiers in the Mist

3.0 out of 5 stars a good yarn but tedious at times, 24 May 2014
Upon starting this book I was optimistic as it is fast paced and easy to read. However, later in the book the vivid descriptions of the battle scenes got more and more long-winded and thus less enjoyable. One of these spanned pages and pages, and thus I was glad when the author got back to main characters and their interesting interactions.

Dead Souls
Dead Souls

4.0 out of 5 stars another enjoyable Rebus read, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Dead Souls (Kindle Edition)
This was Rebus with a difference. The same well developed characters and good plot. The main story was interspersed with background and interesting detail of his early life and influences. These - although long-winded at times - added to what was a very enjoyable read. Mr Rankin always seems to deliver.

Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)
Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter)

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally a good read, 13 April 2014
I found this a very enjoyable read. There were parts of it which stretched the imagination at times, but overall I think it worthy of four stars. The description of the villain of the piece was quite good and scary, However, the American crime analyst was less credible on a number of occasions.It maintained my interest through to the end.

Hi-Tec Men's Dri-Tec G300 Black Golf Shoe G001786/021/01 8 UK, 42 EU, 9 US
Hi-Tec Men's Dri-Tec G300 Black Golf Shoe G001786/021/01 8 UK, 42 EU, 9 US

3.0 out of 5 stars same problem as others with spikes loose, 31 Jan 2014
These shoes are comfortable and okay in wet weather, but let down by problems with the spikes coming loose. After reading previous reviews I was conscious of the loose spike problem, and thus tightened them very well before first use. However, I lost three spikes - two from the right foot and one from the left foot - after playing just one round. It appears that the supplier does not take any notice of reviews.!!!!

Cairngorm John: A Life in Mountain Rescue
Cairngorm John: A Life in Mountain Rescue

2.0 out of 5 stars just okay for me, 14 Dec 2013
I started to read this book to see if it would temper my general view that climbing mountains and taking risks in long and treacherous areas with the possibility of severe weather, is not worth the benefits that these trips bring - let alone the dangers they bring upon the rescue teams. Unfortunately, the book only served to strengthen my views, and I cannot see in any way that the benefits anywhere near outweigh the risks to lives. Even the very experienced climbers, walkers, and even military trained personnel can and do get into difficulties. As an aside, I found the narrative to be long winded and repetitive at times. Thus I abandoned the book half way through. This is no criticism of the rescue teams who clearly do a fantastic job

A Question of Blood
A Question of Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars another ian rankin masterpiece, 19 Nov 2013
I never tire of Mr Rankin's writing and an particular his Inspector Rebus novels. There is always something happening and very little filling in with the irrelevant trivia found in other books.

The War Before Mine
The War Before Mine

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 19 Nov 2013
I was unsure about this book and the story line, imagining it would be similar to many other books of this genre. However, I think the story was very believable, and the characters very interesting. The author quite clearly did a lot of research into the war and the particular mission at the centre of the story. It maintained my interest throughout, and I was glad it came to a conclusion in the way it did. I will look out for any more written by Caroline Ross.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4