ARRAY(0xa0dd3108)

Profile for peregrinus > Reviews

Content by peregrinus

peregrinus (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Kabbalistic Handbook for the Practicing Magician: A Course in the Theory and Practice of Western Magic
by Joseph C. Lisiewski
Price: 12.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Another New Age-y book with little substance, 8 Feb 2013
I was really excited when I bought this book. I thought that I finally found something that will 'tune' with me. And yes, the first few pages were really encouraging. The author's approach to understanding and assimilating a ritual on various levels is most commendable. However that is the only good part of the book.

When it comes to an example of a ritual analysis it goes all wrong. The author constantly criticises the 'New Age' tendency in modern magic, yet I've never seen a more new-age'y version of a LRP! No wonder that the author had no success with Golden Dawn magic if he doesn't understand such basics as the LRP. The most hilarious part of his analysis was when he got to the part when the four archangels are invoked. The GD positioning of those archangels in quarters contradicts every medieval magical, kabbalistic or alchemical text. Yet the author, who apparently is a guru in traditional grimoire magic has nothing to say about the attribution of the archangels to the corners in the LPR. What he has to say is: "This part of the ritual is clear to me: the imaging and calling upon four mighty Archangels [...] that are Kabbalistically assigned to the four quarters of the universe".

The most insulting part of the book is chapter 3, where the planetary hours are explained. I know that not every person is mathematically gifted. However, taking 20 pages to describe what can be explained in few sentences to anyone who finished a primary school is outrageous. What makes it even more spicy, the author makes a textbook mistake by saying that during the Summer and Winter Solstice as well as during the Vernal and Autumnal Equinox, the length of day and night changes rapidly. Wrong. While it is true for the Equinoxes (nearly 4 minutes variance in the length of day), the length of day and night changes very slowly during the Solstices - we are talking few seconds changes here. Of course, the author having spend decades calculating those planetary hours would know that, wouldn't he?

The remaining part of the book is a punch in a jaw too. The author states that he does not aim to give us a book with magical tables, but this is exactly what he does. He takes some basic magical attributions and says few words about each of them. Anyone who has an access to magical tables and has any brain can (and should) do the same if not better. If not, then one probably shouldn't even bother with doing magic in the first place.

Overall, it is not a bad book for an absolute beginner. One cannot stop here and should reach for some more in-depth literature, though. However if you know your basics, read the fragment regarding the kabbalistic analysis because it might give you some insight in to how you should approach any ritual. Ignore the rest, because you already know it. And hopefully, you know it better.

In summary, for an author who is a magician who has been practising for decades, this is just a money-squeezing brochure, not a serious magical textbook.

Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals & Meditations
Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals & Meditations
Price: 6.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is unusable, 4 Jan 2013
I have purchased this book in a Kindle format. Unfortunately all charts are corrupted and all astrological symbols are replaced by letters. Since it is and a book on astrological magic you cannot use it without having the symbols displayed properly.
It is a shame because the content seems to be interesting.

Returned for a refund

====
====

I bought the Kindle version again hoping that something has been done about the format. Nada. The index is still all over the place, you have body text in the middle of pentagram drawings which are split in half, there is a table or two missing. I know I could have bought paper edition, however my bookshelves cannot handle a single sheet of paper more unless absolutely necessary and I do like to keep my books with me all the time anyway.

Having said that, my previous one star review has been unfair on the authors. I only marked it as a single star because I was hoping that something would be done about the format. Oh well... This is a good book, with good ideas for your own rituals, there is a nice lite intro into elections. All in all if you are into astrological magic or magical astrology, or whatever else should you choose to call it, this book is worth keeping in your collection. And even with those corrupted images it is still workable. I do have few minor issues with the book, but nothing extreme. It would have been a well deserved 4/5 if it wasn't for the fact that serious people release a book for serious readers which looks like a scrap book rather than a finished product. Seriously, as an author I would be ashamed to show this to my publisher, yet alone try to release it on the market. But there you go, perhaps I expect too much...

Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 4 July 2012
I have just received it, so first impressions:
I have ordered one from the official UK distributor (GTR). Order was placed on Sunday evening, received Wednesday 11am - brilliant!

Packaging: the tablet itself is in a slim, flat box and the charger and headphones were taped with a packaging tape to the box. Really?!

Headphones: your typical 50p-a-pair headphones. Again - really? Why bother? Destination: bin.

Charger: Pretty much everything I have, I can plug in to mini-USB charger. This one has a pin-type plug. Not the end of the world and it's a proper UK charger, not a 2 pin one with an adaptor (as it happens with Asian products sometimes).

Box: not sealed. I wouldn't have a clue whether it's been used before or not. Having said that the tablet has no signs of wear.

Cables: Inside there are two mini-USB to USB converters; one on a short and one on a longer cable. Useful.

Tablet: First impression - somehow it is heavier than I expected. It doesn't bother me a lot. I'll mainly use it for reading and it doesn't weigh much more than 300 page large format paperback I guess. The screen has a screen protector which is a benefit. I do like functional hardware buttons and this one has a 'Back' button on top, which is probably one of the most commonly used functions. Very useful. Screen is very reflective. We haven't got any proper sunshine today, yet I can clearly see my face reflected (indoors). Resolution seems to be satisfactory so far and sound is loud enough for my purposes.

Software: One thing that annoyed me straight away is built-in Japanese and (I'm guessing) Chinese keyboard. It's not really in the way, most people probably would not even realise it's there but I hate having stuff installed that is not being used. Saying that there are almost no pre-installed apps, which is great, because I only had to uninstall 3 of them (docs, ebooks and mp3 recorder). Google Play, Gmail, etc working fine. All apps that I have paid for already on other devices are easily downloadable. I've connected an external USB keyboard and it's been working within seconds. The battery (initially at ~20%) went red, so I didn't get a chance to check anything else yet and the device is charging now. Oh - it did freeze for about 30 seconds, but that was when I signed in to Google Play, downloaded 2 apps straight away and few other updates were already running in the background. Shouldn't really happen on a device like that (I'm pushing my phone much further and it copes with all tasks easily), but hopefully it was a one-off.

Verdict so far: I didn't get the 'wow factor'. However it seems to be doing what it's supposed to do and for the price I've paid, I'm really happy. I'm not great on giving 5 stars reviews - this one probably deserves 4.5 so far. I might change my mind after few days/weeks.

--- Edit: Few days later ----

Well, so far, so good. I think I have mentioned most of the positives already. I'd lie if I said that the tablet's operation is always flawless. Sometimes you have to wait few seconds before it makes its move. Oh, battery - I think I have to mention that. It's great that it doesn't sync any accounts while idle because it doesn't unnecessary drain the battery. However the lifetime while it's working isn't brilliant. The display (even on low settings) consumes a lot. I use it mainly for reading and it doesn't take me more that 2 hours to drain 50% of the power. If you use it on a train, it's not bad. However, if you need 5 hours to read at home, you don't necessarily want to have it plugged to a socket!
Another thing TTS engine is not working. Again - it is not something that I use every day, however I don't need to be reminded about it every time I run a pdf reader.
Having said that, I'm still happy that I've purchased it!

Combats Black 36
Combats Black 36
Offered by GR8 Clothing Co
Price: 12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 10 Mar 2012
I bought these for work. The only good thing I have to say about them is that they do have quite loose fit, which is what I was looking for. However the material is absolutely terrible. Polycotton is what they call it (80% Polyester) but it might as well be made of polythene - I would not feel the difference. Oh, and they have the smallest pockets you could possibly imagine - completely useless.
Avoid - complete waste of money.

eMachines ET1862 Desktop PC, Intel Core i3-530, 2GB RAM, 500GB  HDD, Windows  7 Home Premium 64-bit, DVD-RW
eMachines ET1862 Desktop PC, Intel Core i3-530, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, DVD-RW

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 3 Aug 2011
With this little machine you get a good deal for your money. It's definitely cheaper then assembling a similar PC yourself as Acer gets a good discount on their pre-installed Windows OS. It's a shame that they don't include a CD but there is a product key on the side of the case, so there is a way around it if you want to use a bigger HDD in the future. It also comes in with tones of pre-installed crap, so be prepared to spend 1/2 hr to clean it. Unless you don't mind - it's just some games and trial versions of few programs (norton, office, etc)
One other thing that is missing is a wireless card. It would cost them only another 5-10 to pre-install it and I wouldn't have to break the seal to do it myself. Oh well, I was going to open it anyway.
You may wonder why there is no mention about the mobo - well that's because it's an Acer one and there isn't really any documentation or specification available anywhere on the net (well, at least I couldn't find any). It has a spare PCI socket, 1 16xPCIe and 2x PCIe. I can't remember now how many slots for memory are there, but I think it was at least 2.
The Windows Experience Index is 4.3 and is so low because of the graphic card (all other scores are between 5.3 and 6.9). Guess what I'll be upgrading next.
It's fairly quiet, takes exactly 1 min from the moment I press the power button to loading a home page on IE. Oh, and I don't know what's wrong with the construction of the case inside but pushing in (yes, _pushing_) another hard drive in is quite a challenge.
I can't remember if it says in description, but it comes in with a keyboard and a mouse. Nice touch, but I'd prefer a wi-fi though.
Overall - it's a decent piece of equipment and I'd highly recommend it for this price!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap and nasty, 3 Aug 2011
I don't even know where to start. When you hold up the plastic you can hardly see through it. Fair enough - once you lay it down on a picture you can actually see it but it takes so much colour away that it's totally pointless!
It gets worse - if you have anything thicker than 1mm then suddenly the clips just don't do the job and the plastic gets all 'wavy'.
If you use it for crappy pictures and you don't care about quality then it surely is a cheap alternative for glass. However if you actually use it for something that you want to look at - stay away from this product!

Clip Frame  (Plastic Glass) 20"X16"  50cm x 40cm
Clip Frame (Plastic Glass) 20"X16" 50cm x 40cm

2.0 out of 5 stars cheap and nasty, 3 Aug 2011

TP-Link TL-WN350G 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN350G 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter
Offered by Clubit tv Retail
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars What a nightmare!, 1 Aug 2011
This is one of the worst experiences ever. It's like a roulette - when you switch on your PC you never know whether it's going to work or not. Changing settings in bios (power, PCI clocking) doesn't work, changing and updating drivers doesn't work, threatening and kicking PC does't work... I had the same problem with this card on Intel Core 2 Duo and i3 (therefore different motherboards and bios) and both Windows Vista and Windows 7 x64.
Do some research on the internet (wish I had done it beforehand) - I'm not the only one.
What a waste of time!

Chemical Wedding [DVD] [2008]
Chemical Wedding [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Simon Callow
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Amusing at the very best, 8 April 2009
Oh dear, I don't even know where to start...
For Dickinson's fans - well, it seems that Bruce was a bit bored and wanted to do something entertaining, result - the soundtrack is probably the best part of the movie.
For horror/thriller fans - forget about thrills. Oh, you do get a dead body or two and some sex scenes that are more untasteful than obscenic but in general it's more hilarious than horrifying.
And for Crowley fans - I'm telling you, there will be tears...
I didn't give it one star only because I did enjoy the music and there were a few amusing scenes :)

Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot
Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot
by Robert Wang

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 7 May 2008
Good starting point for exploring GD deck. Includes short history, brief description of the cards, Book T, The Opening of the Key, and Wang's deck pictures.
However it is only what it says in the title - an introduction, so if you are looking for more detailed information on GD deck this is not a book for you. If you have Ciceros' cards, the mini-book attached to their deck covers pretty much the same that this one.

Page: 1 | 2