Profile for R. KING > Reviews

Panasonic DMW-BLD10E Battery for Lumix G3 and GF2
Panasonic DMW-BLD10E Battery for Lumix G3 and GF2
Offered by Camera Box Kettering

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the real deal .........., 2 Mar 2014
......... unless I'm totally losing the plot. I've seen a few negative reviews about the 'authenticity' of this battery but I cannot understand where they are coming from. I've inspected this battery (puchased from Camerabox, Kettering) from every angle, with a magnifying glass, no less, and I can see no difference whatsoever between it and the original which came with my G3. Also, the new battery charged up fine and fired up my G3 straight away, with no daft warning messages. If I've been duped, well, I don't know what to say. What I can say is that this battery works for me. And I see it's even cheaper than when I bought it last week! Almost tempted to buy another .......

Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Over-Ear Circumaural Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck, by a mile., 1 Mar 2013
They look great, fit very comfortably, sound amazing, have a wonderful retro appeal, and are superb value for the money. As other reviewers have noted, though, these are not for using in the presence of others - they do leak sound. But if you are able to listen in isolation, when others have gone to bed, say, and you want to be tranpsorted to musical Nirvana, buy these. You'll be blown away. (See my review on the Project Headbox S dedicated headphone amp for more.)

Gelert Koala 10L Rucksack - Black/Raven, 10 Lt
Gelert Koala 10L Rucksack - Black/Raven, 10 Lt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for adults!, 1 Mar 2013
This is a great little bag for the money, but do not allow the product description to fool you into thinking it's not just for kids. Believe me, it is. Teenagers at a pinch.

I'm about 6 feet, average build, no broader across the back than most, and I found that the straps are simply not long enough to wear the bag like a typical rucksack. Fine if you want to hang it off one shoulder, but even then I found the bag just didn't sit right.

Otherwise, a very nice bag which would suit most children, some teens, some ladies, and some very small men.

Fisual Install Series 2 x Phono to 2 x Phono Cable - 1m
Fisual Install Series 2 x Phono to 2 x Phono Cable - 1m
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, great value, great choice., 1 Mar 2013
Got these to go with my recently-purchased Project Headphone S dedicated headphone amp (also from Amazon - see my review), which doesn''t come with any cables, and these guys do the business. Well-made, solid, excellent value for the money, they're just what I wanted. I've tried expensive cabling in the past and - maybe because my ears aren't as fine-tuned as they used to be (I'm 64) - I reckon these Fisuals can keep pace with the best, for a fraction of the cost. Buy them: you won't be disappointed.

Project Headbox S Headphone Amplifier (Black)
Project Headbox S Headphone Amplifier (Black)
Offered by Analogue Seduction

5.0 out of 5 stars This little box will transform your listening experience, 1 Mar 2013
I'm not a HUGE fan of headphones, usually preferring to listen to music through my speakers. However, if I want to listen to music at night when She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed might want to read or watch TV, I use 'phones. For years I've simply plugged into the dedicated 1/4" jack on the front of my amp or CD player, and presumed that sound quality pretty much depended on how much I'd be prepared to shell out on a decent pair of cans. It does, but that's not the entire story. Not by a very long way.

I'm neither a nerd nor a techie, but I do the odd bit of research from time to time, and in the course of some I did recently when looking for a good pair of 'phones I kept coming across references to dedicated headphone amps, and decided to explore further. The key message appeared to be that a decent headphone amp will out-perform the 1/4" jack on an amp or CD player any day of the week. Having read a number of reviews of different amps, it was evident that Project turn out great kit for the money, and so when I saw the Project Headbox S on Amazon for less than a hundred quid, I thought, what the heck, give it a try.

The first thing I noticed about the Headbox is its size. It's tiny! About the size of a big box of household matches. Second thing, it's easy to connect up to your existing system, but do invest in decent phono cables (the box doesn't come with any) - I bought 2 pairs of Fisual Install series for under £20 - and you will be rewarded. Third, the sound via the box is really quite different from anything I've ever heard via my main amp, even with mediocre 'phones: I'm hearing notes I never knew were there, strings that sing, bass that goes to the soles of my feet and back again - I think you get the picture. And I have 64 year-old ears, so my hearing probably ain't what it used to be.

In a nutshell: invest in the Project Headbox S. You will not be disappointed. It will change the way you listen to music - it has for me. Now I can't wait for SWMBO to retire of an evening so I can settle down with my Sennheiser 598s (another great-value purchase from Amazon) and feel my toes curl with the sheer pleasure of re-discovering Robert Cray, Donald Fagen, Al Stewart, to name but a few of my favourites, and imagining they are there, with me, in the room.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2013 11:36 PM BST

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive 300 Meter Professional Diver Watch #BN0000-04H
Citizen Men's Eco-Drive 300 Meter Professional Diver Watch #BN0000-04H

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic watch for the money, 8 Jan 2012
I had been looking for a watch to save me wearing out my Tag, which I've had for many years, and fancied something a bit chunkier but not so chunky that I'd need to have my arm in a sling to wear it. I ended up ordering a lovely Rotary watch from Amazon, but that was returned owing to a build quality issue.

And so, browsing through the many watches on offer on Amazon's website, I came across this (not-so) little beauty which seemed to me to represent great value for money. However, I have rather slender wrists, and I had read reports of the straps on typical divers' watches being too long for the average wrist - this due to the fact that divers who wear such watches for their intended purpose tend to wear them OVER the sleeve of their wet suit, hence the need for a longer strap. Too long a strap on bare flesh could mean that, with a wrist like mine, when the watch was being worn the end of the strap would almost be doubling back on itself. I needn't have worried - it so happened that I saw a similar (same brand, different model, but same strap) in a branch of H. Samuel, tried it on and it was perfect.

Anyway, back to the watch. It looks very cool, keeps perfect time, and the Eco-Drive function means no more batteries. I don't wear the watch every day, but I do leave it out of its box in a fairly well lit room (natural light) and that appears to give it all the charge it'll ever need to avoid it running out of power. The rubber strap looks extremely durable, and given that I do not wear the watch constantly I should think it will last a very long time - but if it did go, it could easily be replaced by another rubber strap, or even a leather one: the connection between strap and watch appears to be a standard fitting.

All in all, I'm delighted with my purchase, and I would recommend this watch to anyone. Once again, Amazon have fully delivered, and then some. Thank you!

Rotary Timepieces Men's  Black Ionic Plated Divers Watch GS00023/04 With Black Canvas Strap
Rotary Timepieces Men's Black Ionic Plated Divers Watch GS00023/04 With Black Canvas Strap

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, but ........, 30 Nov 2011
When this watch arrived - very promptly, I might add: thank you, Amazon - I though it looked fantastic. Just what I wanted: big, chunky, solid feel to it, impressive to look at. I had seen an earlier review about problems with the luminous dot at the 12 position on the rotating bezel coming off but never really gave it much thought. But guess what? I wore the watch for one day, and by the end of it the luminous dot had disappeared, presumably dislodged by the mere movement of my shirt cuff: lost, gone forever. Just exactly as reported by the earlier reviewer.

Now, this, to me, is a real shame. It is obviously a manufacturing fault which a reputable and long-established company like Rotary should - and bizarrely, have failed to - address.

And so it was with great regret that I returned the watch to Amazon forthwith. I now have a Citizen which I expect I shall be reviewing shortly.

The Rotary is a great-looking watch, and superb value for the money - if you don't mind losing your luminous dot. I did, so it had to go.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 5:42 AM BST

Flymo Garden Vac 2700
Flymo Garden Vac 2700
Offered by Country Gardening

4.0 out of 5 stars Blows like a hurricance, but ...., 30 Nov 2010
Haven't used this too much since I bought the product a month or so back, but it appears to do what I want - except that, as others have discovered, the machine is better at blowing than sucking, unless one herds leaves into one big pile then sucks up from that.

We have a small garden, which has pebbles rather than grass, and leaves are a nightmare. So far, though, the Flymo is pretty much doing what I expected it to do. As soon as the foot or so of snow that currently blankets my garden has gone - January sometime, I expect - I'll get blowing / sucking once more!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2010 10:16 AM GMT

Panasonic DMCLX3 Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 2.5x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helllo LX3, Goodbye dSLR!, 1 July 2010
Was looking for a 'holiday' camera to do away with the need to lug around one of my Canon dSLRs, which are lovely to use but are heavy and not exactly discreet when it comes to street / candid photography, for example. I also needed something which could shoot RAW. So, having read all the reviews of the LX3 - not least, those on this site - I decided to order one. This arrived most promptly, thank you Amazon, and I am utterly delighted with it. The small size makes it perfect for carrying, although, it has to be said, I would not class this as a pocket camera as such - especially if, like me, you go on to fit a converter so you can add a filter to protect that lovely Leica lens.

The camera performs wonderfully well, if you remember that it doesn't have a great zoom range. Don't buy it if you're looking for long lens functionality - it only zooms to the 35mm equivalent of 60mm. But at the wide end (24mm) it's a dream, and the macro function is especially useful - in this setting you can focus as close as 1cm from your subject.

A word of caution - well, two, actually: first images on your PC monitor from the camera may appear under-exposed. The camera does appear to have a slight tendency to do this, but that's not a problem if you're planning to post-process, espcecially if you're shooting RAW. Better that than blown highlights, which cannot be recovered. Which brings me to my next word - unless you have Photoshop CS5 or equivalent, you'll have to process your RAW files using the supplied Silkypix software, which is fine as it goes. I haven't got into all it can do yet, but it does allow me to create a TIFF file which I can then work on in Elements.

The LX3 is a great camera for a walk-about. It is also technically superb. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2010 10:35 PM BST

IBRA® 1m High Speed PRO GOLD RED v2.0/1.4a HDMI Cable 3D 2160p PS4 SKY HD 4K Ultra HD(Version 2.0, 18Gbps, ARC)
Offered by HD ZONE

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb cable for the price, 23 April 2010
I recently bought a Panasonic Full-HD (1080p) LCD TV to which I wanted to connect my existing Pana HDD/DVD recorder. Clearly, HDMI was the way to go, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a cable that might deliver a performance only marginally better than one costing a lot less. So, having seen the previous reviews of the Pro Gold HDMI cable I decided to invest in one. And boy, am I pleased with the results.

Watching TV using the HDD recorder's Freeview tuner produces very good results, and in general picture quality is infinitely better than when watching through the TV's own tuner, with some broadcasts approaching near-HD quality (my TV has a Freesat tuner which enables me to receive BBC / ITV HD channels, so it's easy to make the comparison).

I really don't know very much about HDMI cables, and cannot compare one with another, but commonsense would suggest that if a particular brand of cable comes highly recommended by a bunch of other people, as the Pro Gold does, it's worth giving it a go. I did just that, and I am delighted with my choice. Buy one: you won't regret it.