Profile for JNH > Reviews

Content by JNH

JNH (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hysteria Hospital: Emergency Ward (Nintendo DS)
Hysteria Hospital: Emergency Ward (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly addictive!, 22 Jun. 2016
I often purchase secondhand DS games, so have only just acquired this even though it's been around a while! I loved Theme Hospital on the PlayStation and PC but knew not to expect anything along those lines, thanks to other reviews here. Nevertheless, I found it highly addictive and a worthwhile purchase considering the small cost secondhand. For other Theme Hospital fans wondering how it compares, you have no or very little choice in the way the hospital is laid out, as most of it - such as the beds, machinery, etc - is automatically set up for you on each level. The exception being that if you can afford to add extra equipment - such as an x-ray machine - you can do so but it has to be placed in one of a few specific areas. You are in control of the nurse and the patients, and start off with just one floor to manage. As game play progresses you are given more floors to manage at the same time. As each patient walks in you have to drag them to the triage post to be assessed. An icon then appears showing you which type of treatment they need and you then drag them to the corresponding dept (ie. dentist, x-ray machine or to a bed). You then pick up a prescription from the desk and take it to them in order for treatment to commence. Depending on what the treatment is they then either walk out cured or you have to direct them from a machine to a bed or couch for additional treatment before they are cured. When they leave a bed or couch you have to clean sheet the bed or clean the couch before another patient will use it. You can't keep patients waiting too long else they will leave the hospital, so it gets a bit frantic when they start coming in thick and fast! In most cases there will be patients you can't treat as you don't have all the equipment, in which case you drag them into the ambulance to send them to another hospital. There are 3 sliders in the game options which allow you to choose how much resource to give 3 management expense parameters: Maintenance, Salaries and Pharmacy. If you don't set maintenance to full then equipment will break down and require you to fix it, taking up more of your valuable time. However, you may find you can't always afford to set it to full on certain levels. Similarly, with the other 2 parameters on full resource, the staff and pharmacy work quicker. To finish each level on the main game you have to cure a certain number of patients whilst making a certain amount of money, so its all about balancing your time and resources wisely according to the situation, which requires some trial and error to get right. As play progresses you'll find every second counts to get all the patients seen in time. Have very much enjoyed playing this.

Parlux 3800 Ceramic avd Ionic Edition Eco Friendly Hair Dryer Purple
Parlux 3800 Ceramic avd Ionic Edition Eco Friendly Hair Dryer Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money and essential if you struggle with styling!, 24 Feb. 2016
After getting a new hairstyle, I struggled for 3 months to style my hair. I was using a combination of hairdryer and straighteners, but getting frustratingly poor results. Every day was a bad hair day! My hair has a natural (annoying/untidy) kink but I want a straight style with a bit of body and lift. I’d got to the point where I was wondering if it was the shampoo, styling products or brush that was not working for me, when I decided, in desperation, to look at hairdryers on Amazon as a last resort (reluctant to add to the growing number of hair care products in the hope of a miracle cure)! I was already using a salon style pro ceramic hairdryer, so assumed I had something fairly decent already. How wrong I was! I’d never heard of Parlux and due to the cost had to give it some serious consideration before coming to a decision that I do NOT regret! Don’t be fooled in to thinking all hairdryers are the same – this really is superior and I’m so pleased. Thanks to everyone who has reviewed it as there are so many hairdryers on the market that it’s almost impossible to make the right decision.

The Parlux is a fair bit smaller than my old hairdryer (seen here for comparison), and as an added bonus looks great in this colour! It’s also quieter than my previous model, but obviously does still make a reasonable amount of noise. The cool shot seems cooler and when it’s on maximum heat it is very hot, which suits my needs perfectly (my last one didn’t get hot enough, which I think was part of my problem). As others have said, hair finishes up smooth, and I’ve also found there’s little or no need for straighteners afterwards. With my previous hairdryer it would take longer to dry wet hair, but with this I’ve found that a section of hair is dry after just three or so blasts on maximum heat (remembering to use the cool shot afterwards to help set it, of course). Very pleased … not only does my hair look better, I can style it quicker. Obviously some of it is also down to technique as well, which, now armed with the correct tool, I hope to perfect in the coming weeks! Once again, it seems you get what you pay for!
Comment Comment | Permalink

UniBond Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device
UniBond Aero-360 Pure Moisture Absorber Device

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - no more musty smells!, 18 Feb. 2016
Having suffered from condensation and mould at home, and having tried other alternatives, we were delighted to discover this. We have two (one in a bedroom and one in the lounge). We're really pleased as one room in particular had smelt very musty beforehand but no longer does. Our units fill up with water really quickly - so much so that we have just put the third refills in both units in the first 2.5 months that we have owned them, so seem to be getting through a refill a month. Although we're getting through the refills quickly, we purchased a number of them all at once when there was a special offer on, and the units are working well for us, so cannot complain. Very simple to use. Just open the top, insert the refill and that's it - no moving parts - just a refill block inside a plastic container that collects all the moisture. Would not hesitate to purchase more for other rooms.

PS: Changed the refill last night after I wrote this post and this photo shows how much moisture the unit had collected by first thing this morning!
Comment Comment | Permalink

25th Silver Wedding Anniversary gift Photo Album
25th Silver Wedding Anniversary gift Photo Album
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 4 Nov. 2015
A very good quality album with a nice amount of pages. My only observation is that, unlike many photo albums, the pockets accept the photos in portrait orientation hence the album has to be rotated to view landscape format photos, due to the ample memo space next to each photo. Worth giving this some thought if you have a lot of landscape photos. The box won't last too long as it is not very sturdy but otherwise all good and you cannot fault the quality of the album itself. A nice memento of a special occasion.

Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World
Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Disney World fan!, 1 Aug. 2015
I believe this is a must read for any Disney World fan interested in the creation and operation of Disney parks! From construction of The Magic Kingdom to park incidents and plans that were never realised after Walt's passing, I found the information fascinating. It was also a nice long read too, so worth the price. I'm sure I'll read it again at some point as there is so much information in there.

Boggle Flash
Boggle Flash

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but would prefer longer on the timer!, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Boggle Flash (Toy)
This is a good game and a nice compact size for taking on holiday. Great too for those who also like to play solo games. One game is to see how many different words you can make from the random letters given, and another is to find one 5 letter word from the 5 random letters given within a certain time (or a 4 letter word if you are only playing with 4 units).

If the time that you are given to make as many words as you can was not so short (or if there was an option to choose how many minutes you have to make words) then I would give it 5 stars. As it stands, it is a very quick game and whilst that may be OK for many, senior citizens with slower recall may find it too fast paced and thus will struggle to score well. Personally I'd feel more satisfied if the timer gave me longer to think as I have rarely guessed anywhere near the number of possible words in such a short time. Having said that, it is fun and clever how it works and I am not sorry I purchased the game. It does occasionally get stuck but just needs the units to be switched off and on again.

Morphy Richards 501011 Saute and Soup Maker
Morphy Richards 501011 Saute and Soup Maker
Offered by Heritage Home and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious soups - very happy with purchase!, 12 Jan. 2015
I’ve never owned a soup maker, blender or food processor as I don’t have space for gadgets which don’t get much use. After reading reviews here I thought this sounded like something that would get used a lot. At the time of writing I’d only had it 2 weeks but it has been used the majority of those days! Because I’d never owned a blender we’d been buying expensive soups so it’s great to be able to make our own and know exactly what goes in them. I purchased “The Skinny Soup Maker Recipe Book” at the same time to give me some ideas to get started, but to be honest once you’ve made one or two using recipes, you get the gist of soup making and end up experimenting with your own recipes. It’s so easy to use and fun to look round the supermarket for new ingredients!

No negative points that I have encountered so far, just these observations: (1) It gives off a fair amount of steam when cooking. (2) The sauté function is really useful and gets very hot quickly, so don’t forget the oil and to stir regularly. (3) You need to make a defined quantity so that you fill the jug between the min/max markers (to ensure the blade reaches the ingredients). This makes enough for roughly 4 servings. I could only see this as a possible issue for, say, a single person who did not have the ability to freeze the remainder, or for someone who wanted to make a larger quantity. (4) So far, every soup made has been so delicious that although we intended to freeze the remainder, we have yet to do so as we’ve either had second helpings or chilled it and eaten the following day! (5) It isn’t difficult to clean out by hand, even though I don’t usually like things that can’t go in the dishwasher, plus there are no other pans to wash up! All you need is the soup maker and a kettle to boil the water for the stock! (6) The soup comes out piping hot and perfectly blended. If you are having seconds then it is still nicely hot when you return to pour yourself a second helping!

This review was based on using the sauté function and smooth mode for making soup. I have yet to try the juice function and have not made chunky soups.

Joe Cool Liquorice Allsort Style Elasticated Bracelet - Slip on 2 cm Widest Sweet
Offered by Retro Styler

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 13 Sept. 2014
Very pleased with my purchase. Looks just like the photo. At the time of writing I'd had it a week and had already received several compliments from people who admired it. Fits comfortably on an adult wrist.

Update: Purchased a second one for a friend after she admired mine so much!

Captain Phil Harris: The Legendary Crab Fisherman, Our Hero, Our Dad
Captain Phil Harris: The Legendary Crab Fisherman, Our Hero, Our Dad
by Josh Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 26 Aug. 2014
I was given this book as a gift and got stuck into it on a wet bank holiday and enjoyed it so much that I read the whole thing in a day, which is unusual for me. It is very easy to read and, as another fan of Deadliest Catch, it was a must for me to find out more about Phil's full-on life. I would recommend this to anyone who admires Phil and enjoys Deadliest Catch. Would have prefered this to be on Kindle format though. Still sorry that we lost such a colourful, funny, warmhearted man, who worked incredibly hard but also played equally hard too.

PS: There are just over 40 black & white photos inside the book of Phil and his family.

Ladies Skechers go Walk Dynamic Black - Red go Walk
Ladies Skechers go Walk Dynamic Black - Red go Walk

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfy - love them!, 25 Mar. 2014
I bought a pair of these in store (not through Amazon). I knew Skechers beforehand but had never heard of the GOwalk range. At first I thought they seemed very expensive and didn't really intend to buy them ... until I put them on, then I was immediately sold as they are like walking on clouds/air and easily the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. Worth every penny for this level of comfort! No breaking in needed as they are like wearing a pair of slippers (but with lovely spongy soles)! I have fairly wide feet and have tended in the past to go one size up in ordinary shoes for comfort but no need to in these as they are generously sized.

I have worn them around the house a fair amount but not outdoors yet as they have been purchased for doing a lot of walking on holiday. Very lightweight, so ideal for packing. Love them so much that my other half bought a pair of GOwalk the very next day!!

Update: It was not at all surprising to learn that they were a godsend on a 2 week holiday which entailed lots of walking around theme parks! Don't know what I would have done without them!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3