Profile for JNH > Reviews

Captain Phil Harris: The Legendary Crab Fisherman, Our Hero, Our Dad
by Josh Harris
Price: 8.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 26 Aug 2014
I was given this book as a gift and got stuck into it on a wet bank holiday and enjoyed it so much that I read the whole thing in a day, which is unusual for me. It is very easy to read and, as another fan of Deadliest Catch, it was a must for me to find out more about Phil's full-on life. I would recommend this to anyone who admires Phil and enjoys Deadliest Catch. Would have prefered this to be on Kindle format though. Still sorry that we lost such a colourful, funny, warmhearted man, who worked incredibly hard but also played equally hard too.

Skechers Ladies go Walk Dynamic Black and Red Leisure Trainers
Skechers Ladies go Walk Dynamic Black and Red Leisure Trainers

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfy - love them!, 25 Mar 2014
I bought a pair of these in store (not through Amazon). I knew Skechers beforehand but had never heard of the GOwalk range. At first I thought they seemed very expensive and didn't really intend to buy them ... until I put them on, then I was immediately sold as they are like walking on clouds/air and easily the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. Worth every penny for this level of comfort! No breaking in needed as they are like wearing a pair of slippers (but with lovely spongy soles)! I have fairly wide feet and have tended in the past to go one size up in ordinary shoes for comfort but no need to in these as they are generously sized.

I have worn them around the house a fair amount but not outdoors yet as they have been purchased for doing a lot of walking on holiday. Very lightweight, so ideal for packing. Love them so much that my other half bought a pair of GOwalk the very next day!!

The Boys of Summer
The Boys of Summer
Price: 8.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and funny!, 19 May 2013
As a fan of Showaddywaddy but one who knew nothing about their personal or professional lives, and also as someone with an interest in holiday parks, I found this a fascinating and eye-opening read. Agreed some of the words used were completely alien to my vocabulary, but it didn't hinder me getting the gist of what was being portrayed. Many times I have read reviews which say "I laughed out loud" which in my case merely raised a smile, but I can honestly say a few times in this book I literally did laugh out loud. I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. Very easy reading and all of it was interesting. Well done Dave and I can't wait until your next book!

PS: Just to update this review, after finishing the book I had to read it a second time very shortly afterwards, which is almost unheard of for me!

Leather ' Union Jack ' Wallet & Credit Card Holder With Coin & Notes Storage
Leather ' Union Jack ' Wallet & Credit Card Holder With Coin & Notes Storage
Offered by HomeStoreDirect
Price: 1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase, 4 May 2013
Purchased a couple of these as presents for relatives overseas and was very satisfied with the product and price paid. Have seen other Union Jack wallets on the high street costing significantly more.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't give as much relief as we'd hoped, 27 Feb 2013
These were ordered for my mother who suffers very badly from arthritis in her hands. Having read the other fantastic reviews here I felt confident these gloves would be the answer, or would at least help alleviate the pain to a fair extent. Whilst the gloves themselves are comfy to wear and keep her hands nicely warm, they don't give the relief we were hoping for (and she has the smallest size, so it isn't as if they are too big to work effectively). Having said that, she still wears them as any relief is welcome no matter how little, and they are useful for keeping her hands warm. I guess it depends on how severe the arthritis is or perhaps on the individual patient as they obviously seem to work for the majority. When you are in this much pain anything is worth a try!

The Logo Board Game
The Logo Board Game
Offered by a1 Toys
Price: 26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good game, good game!!, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Logo Board Game (Toy)
Brought this to play at Christmas. The 4 players were made up of people in the 40's and 70's age groups. Enjoyable game. In my opinion it's particularly good for those who usually get left out when playing general knowledge type games as most people stand the chance of knowing some of the answers because this game relates to everyday products. (Having said that, one of the older players eventually seemed to get restless with it because he couldn't answer many questions, but I think this is a rare occurrence and is because he has not done much grocery shopping or cooking, generally doesn't eat much chocolate or sweets, or know much about consumer products ... so don't let that put you off ... unless you have another player like that!)

So far we have played 4 games and have used up just under a quarter of the cards supplied. Each card has 4 questions on which refer to different coloured segments on the board. You start off asking one of the players the first question on the card, if they get it right they move to the next corresponding coloured square and you ask them the next question on the card. If they are correct they move to the next corresponding square, and so on until they have answered all 4 questions on the card, when play moves to the next player. However, if they get any of the 4 questions wrong, the question is offered to the next player. If that player gets the answer correct they move to the next corresponding square and get to finish answering the remaining questions on that card. Some cards have photos of products/logos on but some are "pot luck" and just have a theme written on them (with the answers all relating to that theme). I believe the winner is the first person to get to the centre segment who can correctly answer two questions in a row or answer a red question.

Good game!!

Miele S5261C Cat and Dog Vacuum Cleaner
Miele S5261C Cat and Dog Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars A m a z i n g - the first vacuum that picks up properly!, 14 Sep 2011
Thanks to all the reviewers who took the trouble to write in about this super vacuum cleaner. When I wrote this there had been 40 reviewers and all of them had voted it excellent, which speaks for itself. After reading these reviews I was really confident that I had finally found the vacuum cleaner for me. Although I have only just got it I couldn't wait to add to the positive reviews as I'm so pleased after just one use.

I don't have pets but got this because I get lots of hair on the carpets which my other vacuum cleaners had never been able to tackle satisfactorily. I was also fed up with my previous cleaner being unable to deal with fluff from socks no matter how many times it passed over them. The only way of picking these things up was to kneel on the floor and go over every inch of the carpet with the plastic nozzle (often several times in one place), which is not something I wanted to do very regularly! Every so often we'd have to take a stiff brush to the carpets to get up the stuff the old vac missed. We have owned various makes in the past, including the one beginning with "D"!

As advised in other reviews, as soon as I received my Miele S5261 Cat & Dog Premium cleaner I read the manual before use, which I also recommend as there are a few things that are worth knowing before you get started. I then set about using the large turbo brush on the highest setting on the carpets. The result was very impressive and the carpets look so much better. With just one or two sweeps of the turbo brush the fluff and hairs that my old vac failed to pick up were gone. It even seems to pick up right to the edge of the skirting. I put it on a gentler setting for a rug and it did that well without lifting it. When it is on full power it does throw out a fair amount of heat but I would expect that for such a powerful motor.

When you put the Miele on full power with the tubo brush attached you can feel the power immediately and just know it is going to do something good before you have started. Admittedly we hadn't vacuumed as often as we should previously because it was such a hassle, but after doing just 2 rooms and a landing with the Miele the dust bag felt as if it was nearly full! It just shows how much the old vac had missed! I knew I needed a new vacuum cleaner but before I read this I loathed the thought of spending money on yet another one that doesn't do the job properly. This is definitely worth the money because you can easily spend the same over the years on a few cheaper ineffective models.

I didn't purchase mine from Amazon because I am new to Miele products and found this Amazon listing to be lacking in detail in the description and had noticed on other websites that some sellers call it a "S5261" and others a "S5261 Premium". Some companies who call it a "Premium" have it priced higher than this listing (there is another here on Amazon for 259.99) so I wasn't sure if there are actually two different models of S5261 or whether there is only one model but it's just a case that some sellers refer to it differently (I couldn't see two versions on Miele's website though). I bought the "Premium" version at just 1 more than the price here, so thought it was worth doing in case the models differ. I am sure someone can confirm.

Very pleased indeed!

Dress It Up Buttons Destinations Collection - Australia
Dress It Up Buttons Destinations Collection - Australia
Offered by supermart USA
Price: 2.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun item used for fancy dress!, 12 Aug 2011
I ordred a set of these to sew onto an Australian hat to make it a bit more fun for fancy dress. I received 9 of the 10 buttons shown in the photo (didn't get the top middle one but not really bothered about that one anyway). All were just as shown in the photo and came well packaged in a jiffy bag. As a very rough guide, the kangaroo is approx 1 inch tall, if anyone is wondering about size. I wasn't sure from the description how many buttons would have eyelets to sew onto my hat but was pleased to note all but two have eyelets (the Australian flag and boomerang don't but I may stick them on with tape). I have noticed that these buttons are made in other themes/countries too.

A fun item and reasonably priced. It arrived within 4 days of ordering.

Australian Hat with Corks
Australian Hat with Corks
Offered by Top Value Prices
Price: 2.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun product, fast delivery and excellent value!, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: Australian Hat with Corks (Toy)
Bought two of these hats, which arrived within 2 days of ordering! Am very pleased with my purchases and consider them to be excellent value for money. For info, the corks were already tied on to my two hats upon arrival. The image on the hat was slightly different to that shown in this illustration but doesn't make any difference (mine has a kangaroo superimposed on a map of Australia and the words "Australia" above, not below, the image). Each hat has 12 small corks spaced evenly around the brim. These could be easily removed by untying the knot in the string at the top of the brim (for example if you wanted to wear it as a serious hat, or if you needed to remove the corks near your face). Can't wait to wear these for fancy dress!

National Hats | See You Jimmy Hat
National Hats | See You Jimmy Hat
Offered by Superstars
Price: 5.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Delivery, 27 Aug 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Fast delivery - this hat was with me 2 days after placing the order. Would be happy to deal with this supplier again.

Two minor things: The hair was a lot shorter on mine than the photo shows - not that I'm complaining as it didn't make any difference to me - it's still a funny hat. Also the one I received was bigger and flatter on top (almost beret-like with plain red on the underside). Again it doesn't matter as it's just a fun item, but thought I'd mention in case anyone was specifically requiring one with long hair for any reason.

Had a good laugh with my mates trying this on!

UPDATE: The product image of this item has been changed since this review was written, so the comments in the second paragraph no longer apply.

Page: 1 | 2