Profile for N. Ragavan > Reviews

The Garden of Evening Mists
The Garden of Evening Mists
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative writing at its best, 25 Jan 2014
I have just finished reading this book borrowed from my local library. I found it a wonderful read. Some times the way words are used made me pause and stop, just to enjoy the feel. There are few writers I have found who can do this. Another is Janette Turner Hospital. Just about to go and find anything else Mr Tan wrote. I hope he keeps on writing. He is young, so I have great hopes for my retirement.

The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)
The Gauguin Connection (Book 1) (Genevieve Lenard)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars More please..., 18 Nov 2013
The characters were sympathetic and made you want to learn more about them. A great seed book with more hoped for by the author.

Kitchen Craft 27 cm Cast Iron Black Steel Baking Stone
Kitchen Craft 27 cm Cast Iron Black Steel Baking Stone
Price: 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely for pizzas!, 5 Sep 2013
Takes a while to season properly. It does have to turn black for the coating to be permanent. This takes more time than stated, but is worth it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is misleading, 11 May 2013
60 x 42 x 28.5 and 80 litres? 71820 cubic centimetres cannot contain 80 litres. The description is just plain wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 12:27 AM GMT

Count Zero
Count Zero
by William Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex and interesting book, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Count Zero (Paperback)
I have just read this twice back to back. There are multiple levels of allusion that I recognized, and I am sure I didnt get them all. The hindu creation myths get a look in to explain/describe the cyberspace becoming/containing a self aware entity. Voudou traditions are brought in as being used as a conceptual interface for communications between the newly evolved self aware entity/entities and humans.
And there are a number of allusions to hacking, coding and human/computer/cyberspace interfaces that are nothing like we know today. But I read this in the same week that scientists have managed to get rats to communicate with each other over the internet using implants. William Gibson may be in that line of writers able to travel into the distant future using his imagination. Future generations will know. We can only enjoy and speculate. Thank you for the journey, Mr Gibson!

Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)
Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, 23 Oct 2012
Shallow violent thugs with a grievance on rampage with a chance to express their contempt for everyone else, especially the media. Cant understand the rave reviews.

Engineering Paradise
Engineering Paradise
by David Gardiner
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 18 Jun 2012
This review is from: Engineering Paradise (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book in one go. From very early on in the book you get immersed in the people in it. There are no black and white characters, as in real life. Danny and his father especially compelled my attention. Both approach life with a cool but committed interest. Another thing I liked about the book was that it did not try to emotionally manipulate the reader. Even situations in the book that you often see treated with a hot and breathy touch were written with a clear head. I have always wondered whether I was alone in feeling the observer always alive in me in all situations, and am glad that this is not a singular situation. This was definitely my kind of book.

Looking forward to reading more by the same author.

The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art
The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art
by Don Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars The problem of "Store of Value" for Very High Net Worth people, 5 Feb 2012
The recent past has seen a massive increase in inequality of assets and incomes on a global scale. Such surplus wealth needs to be invested safely. What better way to do this than in a commodity that is only available to Very High Net Worth individuals (to use the language of the book). Expensive contemporary art serves this purpose. As long as all members of the group agree to maintain the valuation they place on these tokens of value, you can expect the value placed on these to increase as they come to represent an addition to the set of valuables used to hold this surplus wealth. Occasionally they will be exchanged for cash in order to buy other valuables (one example in the book was a newspaper). As long as there is an increasing amount of surplus wealth to be held, there will be a need for tokens of value that can be moved around to act as holders of value. All it needs is an unspoken agreement to accept this valuation. The dealers, auction houses, art historians, curators, museums are in the business of providing a story/validation of this value creation.

Now of course, requirement to hold a store of value exists at all levels. At other levels you have more divisible items such as gold, stocks and shares, cash and bank accounts. Inbetween comes property. And again, the very expensive areas dont go down as they are sustained by the same group.

I feel markets need to be analysed by segments, and by the economics of distribution that lead to marget segmentation. Each will act independently as the top layers are not available down the chain even if you see groups forming to afford it (see the notes on waiting lists, favoured clients etc).

Given this phenomenon, I think we need to recognize the processes that are going on within our environment: it is nothing less than a consolidation of economic power, and reducing exposure to other markets where large numbers of economically lesser individuals introduce volatility.