Profile for random_trout > Reviews

Content by random_trout

random_trout

Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation
by Jon Kabat-Zinn

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive modern book on meditation?, 25 Mar 2013
I've read far too many books on meditation, been to a lot of different meditation classes, and practised yoga with a couple of dozen teachers (though regularly with only a handful). Yet every time I pick up this wonderful book I wonder why I do all of the above, instead of just devoting my time just *doing* the meditation as JKZ describes. This book is just so right at every level, and each time I re-read it I get more from it. It also invariably inspires me to either re-start or lengthen my practise.

Perhaps the biggest problem with the book is that it is so BIG. I actually read it before I had started doing any meditation, and it seemed like too much too read and take in, and made me feel the thing is really complicated. Actually meditation is quite simple, and the best thing is to start as soon as possible *while* you read the book; if you do that then you will negate my only criticism of the book, and you will also rapidly discover how perfect this book is, as it will answer most of your questions as they arise (starting, of course, with "why I am I sitting here doing nothing?!").

It's hard to imagine a better comprehensive book on mindfulness meditation.