Profile for Joana S > Reviews

Unmapped Country: the story of North & South continues
Unmapped Country: the story of North & South continues
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 16 Feb 2014
I enjoyed this gripping story for more reasons than I can count!
I was particularly impressed with the style and language (both beautifully in keeping with the original), as well as with how the characters were developed, in a faithful, sensitive and very credible way. If anything, I liked Chrissie Elmore’s Margaret even more than Mrs Gaskell’s! To me, Elizabeth Gaskell’s Margaret was too much of a long-suffering victim of circumstance. Not this Margaret! While still in perfect keeping with the mores and expectations of the time, in ‘Unmapped Country’ Margaret is her own woman. She’s strong, grown-up and a joy to read!
John Thornton is just as beautifully and faithfully portrayed, and the depth of feeling between them is exquisite! The other original characters, as well as Chrissie Elmore’s own, are credible, vibrant and wonderfully fleshed out. I absolutely adored Mrs Findley, her brother, and of course the ever so helpful Mrs Potter!
I was very taken with the wealth of historical detail which, in my opinion, adds greatly to the story, as do the beautifully relevant opening quotes to each chapter.
A remarkable story altogether – worthy of the original, poignant and incredibly romantic - and I loved every word of it!
(Joana Starnes, author of 'From This Day Forward ~ The Darcys of Pemberley' and 'The Subsequent Proposal')

A Fair Prospect: Volume I, II & III
A Fair Prospect: Volume I, II & III
Price: 4.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for any Austen fan, 10 Dec 2013
Cassandra Grafton's trilogy is now available in one delightful package! Highly recommended, I read it in paperback and enjoyed every minute of it!

The author paints a lovely picture, in which Jane Austen's characters and her own move with grace and ease, and the portrayal of longing and depth of sentiment is exquisite!
The reader gets heart-warming glimpses into Darcy's tortured thoughts of unrequited love, and comes to understand Elizabeth's feelings for him, at the same time as she understands them herself.
The characters are skilfully drawn and faithful to the originals that Jane Austen had created, are credible and real and a joy to read about - and that goes not only for the leading roles but for the `support acts' as well (Cassandra's Colonel Fitzwilliam for instance is absolutely adorable, and both Georgiana and Bingley have more strength and wisdom than they are usually given credit for).
And then there is the rich and handsome rival who, moreover, is perfectly capable to `behave in a gentleman-like manner' - and the threat he poses spices up the story and tugs at the heartstrings, as we feel for Darcy in his plight!

I got Volume 2 as a present, and what a fantastic present it was! I couldn't put it down! I didn't think it would be possible for it to be even better than Volume 1, but it really is! A lot of things are happening and are happening faster, the pace of this volume is a couple of notches up compared to the first and by the end - what a roller-coaster ride! Colonel Fitzwilliam is as adorable as ever (in critical places even more so), Jane and Georgiana's attempts to help are very sweet and the journey of self-discovery that both Elizabeth and Darcy find themselves going through is beautifully portrayed. Now I'm in a bit of a quandary, because there are several things I absolutely adored, both in terms of plot and of style, but I think a lot of the enjoyment hinges on the element of surprise and I don't know what I can safely say without spoiling it for the next reader! I will say this, though: you're in for a treat!

As for Volume 3, a lovely conclusion to a lovely book! The author guides us skilfully through the maze on heartache and misunderstanding, so that we can finally rejoice with our favourite couple when everything is set to rights (hope this is not spoiling the book for you - but let's face it, why would we read Jane Austen fan fiction if not to know that despite all obstacles, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get their happy-ever-after, and all is well with the world?)
I especially enjoyed Mr. Bennet's interaction with Mr. Darcy - the one towards the end of the book ;) - and I think both were portrayed just as Jane Austen intended.
It's great not to have to go through the mess of Lydia's elopement yet again, and as for the scenes in Bath, they are a joy to read, despite the heartache, and even more so when the problems are resolved!
The supporting characters are as adorable as ever - Cassandra Grafton's Colonel Fitzwilliam doesn't disappoint in any of the three volumes, if anything he becomes even more delightful in each, and as for Georgiana, she is adorably childlike in places and also wise and grown up in others. The author's own characters, Serena and Nicholas, blend beautifully with Austen's originals and the story is rounded with a rewarding epilogue that tells us more about the fates of other favourite characters, not just the leading man and his lady. A great read - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Hunsford made SO much better!, 10 Nov 2013
I absolutely love variations where the dramas and pitfalls imagined by Jane Austen in the original story are avoided - only for our favourite characters to be faced with other ones! This is one such rewarding variation. Heavy rains and a terrible flood prevent Darcy from making his ill-starred Hunsford proposal and, moreover, the couple are trapped at the Parsonage by raising waters, together with a handful of distraught and dispossessed villagers.

During this trying time, Elizabeth gets to see facets of him she had not even anticipated. The strong man, the responsible master, the noble character who would not expect others to endanger their own lives by undertaking tasks he would not tackle himself.

Once a cousin with his own agenda is thrown into the mix, Darcy's palpable anguish is heart-rending but, as always, it makes for an absolutely delightful read, and it's wonderful to see how Elizabeth gets to know him, and how her previous dislike of him slowly melts into very different sentiments!

The path is not smooth, other stories are skilfully woven in, such as the very unexpected - and very damaging - effects of childhood bullying but, to me, the most delightful and the most rewarding is the story of Colonel Fitzwilliam's happy ending. I'm a great fan of the dear Colonel and I always thought he deserves a lot more happiness than most fanfiction stories allow him, and I was very pleased to see that in this story, he gets precisely that!

Mr. Darcy's Noble Connections: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Mr. Darcy's Noble Connections: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
by Abigail Reynolds
Price: 6.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant story with an intriguing premise, 10 Nov 2013
Yet another exquisite Pride and Prejudice variation by Abigail Reynolds, that starts with the novel premise that Elizabeth and Darcy's worlds are more interconnected than he had ever imagined - in fact, too interconnected for his comfort, to begin with!

Soon after Hunsford, Darcy travels to visit his exalted connections further up north - at the request of a good friend who needs his help and advice - only to find, to his shock, that the imposing household has a very unexpected guest: a certain Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

From then on, the plot thickens, and the author skilfully stirs in a villain, a missing brother who's departure from the family fold is shrouded in secrecy and whispers of dishonourable behaviour, an overbearing step-mother, tantalising hints of Shakespeare and of course, plenty of delicious interludes between Elizabeth and Darcy, on the backdrop of absolutely stunning scenery.

The poignancy of the scenes between them is too romantic for words, and I particularly enjoyed the very sweet moments of Darcy's heart-warming vulnerability in Elizabeth's healing hands. There are highs, dark lows and plenty of drama in this lovely story and we feel them all, travelling with our favourite characters through their happy times and their times of quandary and anguish towards an ending we're expecting (and a few secondary ones we don't).

A thrilling read, not to be missed!

A Fair Prospect: Desperate Measures: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: 3
A Fair Prospect: Desperate Measures: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: 3
Price: 5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conclusion!, 12 Jun 2013
And the trilogy is complete at last! A lovely conclusion to a lovely book! The author guides us skilfully through the maze on heartache and misunderstanding, so that we can finally rejoice with our favourite couple when everything is set to rights (hope this is not spoiling the book for you - but let's face it, why would we read Jane Austen fan fiction if not to know that despite all obstacles, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get their happy-ever-after, and all is well with the world?)
It's great not to have to go through the mess of Lydia's elopement yet again, and as for the scenes in Bath, they are a joy to read, despite the heartache, and even more so when the heartache is gone!
The supporting characters are as adorable as ever - Cassandra Grafton's Colonel Fitzwilliam doesn't disappoint in any of the three volumes, if anything he becomes even more delightful in each, and as for Georgiana, she is adorably childlike in places and also wise and grown up in others. Serena and Nicholas are both a pleasure to read about, as is Col. Fitzwilliam's fate and everybody else's - as is this whole volume, in short. Great read, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

A Fair Prospect: Darcy's Dilemma: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume II: 2
A Fair Prospect: Darcy's Dilemma: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume II: 2
Price: 5.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - can't wait for vol.3!, 28 April 2013

A Fair Prospect: Disappointed Hopes: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume I: 1
A Fair Prospect: Disappointed Hopes: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume I: 1
Price: 6.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, beautifully written, 14 April 2013
Cassandra Grafton paints a lovely picture, in which Jane Austen's characters and her own move with grace and ease, and the portrayal of longing and depth of sentiment is exquisite!
Looking forward to the next instalment!