Profile for alexisalex > Reviews

Cowboys & Aliens [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly, really, really good, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Cowboys & Aliens [DVD] (DVD)
OK I admit, when I hired this film I thought it would be a bit of a hoot - I mean the title - wonderful right ?

Actually it is a surprisingly fantastic mash up of two entirely - one might say weirdly disparate - genres. But it is played absolutely straight as an action movie in both genres.

It should not work, it was impossible that it would work, but you know what, it does work. It has emotional resonance, action, science fiction, western genre values, and characters you really care about. Plus of course saving the future of the planet from aliens who are themselves a mash up of alien and predator, and, quite nasty !

The director, and the actors, were given a really odd brief, they could have camped it up, and smirked, but no, they pulled it off, absolutely consummate professionals.

Live In Miami
Live In Miami
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinda groovy, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Live In Miami (Audio CD)
This is a great 3 disk set from Diggers. I would name the three disks as Groovy, Dancey, and Pumped. So a lot of variety Liked all three very much indeedy. Never fails to come up with the goods this lad !

Brabantia Touch Bin Deluxe, 45 Litre - Cobalt Blue
Brabantia Touch Bin Deluxe, 45 Litre - Cobalt Blue
Price: 143.83

1.0 out of 5 stars I cannot recommend this model, 14 Mar 2014
I cannot recommend this model. There is clearly a design fault in the lid design. I bought mine in Dec and within a month the lid would not shut. I ordered another lid and finally, when it came, took a while, yhis also has now packed up within a month. When two lids pack up in the same way, well I have to assume a design fault, rather than bad luck. Trust me the last thing you want with a bin, and a very expensive one at that, is the lid will not shut, particularly in this weather.

Previous Brab bin was fine and lasted ten years, so I think it is just this new model, which has a different lid design. I am going for a refund, because let's be honest, this is not rocket design - one just wants a bin that closes.

BTW, like another reviewer of this model, my first bin was also packaged badly and badly dented in two places and had to be returned to Amazon. So really, not happy generally with this model for both packaging and design. Nice looking but at the end of the day function is paramount, and this one FAILS, big time.

Versus
Versus
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mix, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Versus (Audio CD)
Disk 1 - great mix, starting quite chilled and ramping up as it progresses. Very nice except for track 11 which I have deleted - Japanese popstars - hated this, fortunately it is towards the end of the mix so easily erased with affecting the mix.

Disk 2 unmixed version of disk 1 - since I am not a dj I generally ignore these.

Disk 3 a very lovely set of chilled and beautiful electronica composed by the two lads - very very nice indeed. This is going in the car to prevent road rage !

Great value set, and disk 3 a real present.

Watson & Oliver [DVD]
Watson & Oliver [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lorna Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars just wonderful !, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Watson & Oliver [DVD] (DVD)
These ladies are the true heirs to French and Saunders. I think their forte might be the same too - parody. Bad men had me laughing so hard I got a stitch. Looking forward to series 3 !

Community - Season 1 [DVD]
Community - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joel McHale
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars without doubt one of the funniesrt shows I have ever seen !, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Community - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big fan of american shows. If you want to know, Seinfeld, Fraser, Curb, South Park etc. British shows too, Green Wing, Fast show, Peep show etc. Many many many. American TV sitcom can be dire, predictable, formulaic. But something is happening now. First we had 30 Rock, absolutely brilliant, Parks and Recreation, and now Community. These are non-formulaic surreal and hilarious shows. If you liked Green Wing, then I think you will love this. It is like Green Wing on steroids. Very fast, surreal, very witty, hilarious, and un-remittingly brave in pushing the frontiers. I'm not talking chuckle-rich, I'm talking people on the train thinking you're nuts because you are laughing so hard. Or maybe they're wondering what it is I am watching. I am watching Community, (or 30 Rock or Parks and Recreation).

Fabric 64: Guy Gerber
Fabric 64: Guy Gerber
Price: 10.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Fabric 64: Guy Gerber (Audio CD)
I do not think I know of another set that I was utterly gripped by and entranced from the first track. This is just simply outstanding !!!

Cowon X7 160GB Portable Media Player - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Cowon X7 160GB Portable Media Player - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cowon have made a major design fault, 14 July 2012
You know I could live with the irritatingly obscure user interface, the thick heavy chunky device, the crap video, the miniscule typeface which you cannot read and cannot alter (WHY?), the sticky unresponsive touch screen, all I wanted was a great music player.

The only good thing about this albatross is the sound which is very good. But if like me, you think you can put up with all the horrible truly horrible things this albatross of a music player puts you through just to play your music think again.

Over and above all this crap it has a major MAJOR design fault. If you let the battery run out, the machine is dead. That's right folks totally dead. You cannot revive this beast except sending it off to Cowon support - so say goodbye for your music for a month.

Just google the cowon x7 forums. This device dies - yes dies ! when you let the battery run out ! You are right to blink disbelievingly. How can that be ?

How on earth could any company release a device which dies, never to be born again (except in Cowon Support), when the battery runs out ! It beggars belief. After I sent it back they said, don't let your battery run out. Great. Yeah I'll put that on top of my priorities for my busy life. Well unfortunately I did let it run out again - blame it on a normal life - and the advice they gave (charge it, then press the re-set button, and 2 hours later it will come back to life - DID NOT WORK ! The device is still dead.

This is such a major design error that frankly I do not care how good their devices are, how great the sound quality, I will never ever buy a Cowon device again. Have they heard about testing ? Clearly not.

In all my history of devices I have NEVER heard of a device dying because the battery was discharged !!!!!!

Avoid this purchase at all costs - unless of course you enjoy a ghastly machine which seems to wilfully make every design fault in the book, and are willing to monitor your device day and night to make sure the battery never runs out.

Kent Handmade Medium Bristle Toothbrush
Kent Handmade Medium Bristle Toothbrush
Offered by UniStore
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you care about your toothypegs ? I do., 21 Jun 2012
Kent are the only firm still making bristle toothbrushes - and I am so glad because I hate nylon ones. They are pricey, and need replacing every few months (I cycle them which helps), but for me there is no better to clean the toothypegs and keep them clean and healthy - and that matters to me. I can offer no sciencific proof for them over nylon - but I've used them all my life, and rarely need the dentist.

iBoutique IB64GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (64GB, Electric Blue)
iBoutique IB64GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (64GB, Electric Blue)
Offered by SechsiTech
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiffing little devices, 21 Jun 2012
I've bought a number of these - they get slung in bags - banged into and out of machines, they are pretty damn good. The connection is tight, they are reliable, and well they do the job and are damn pretty to boot. I know that's not important, but I do like the design. So 9 months after hard use they are still as good as new. One of the reviewers here say they are fragile - trust me they are not or they wouldn't survive my use ! Best usb sticks I have used.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6