Profile for peach > Reviews

Blake Spick - The Time Travelling Detective: The Keys of Terran - Book One
Blake Spick - The Time Travelling Detective: The Keys of Terran - Book One
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My son liked it, 20 Aug 2014
I bought this for my son who is mad on Doctor Who. He said he really enjoyed it and wants the next one. I've started to read it when I can prise the iPad off him but seems a fun read for us older kids! I am familiar with this author but think this is his first kids book. This is book one of the series.

Android: Earth Book One of the Android Saga
Android: Earth Book One of the Android Saga
by Paul J. Ward
Price: 14.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Android mayhem, 20 Aug 2014
I'm a massive fan of Asimov and the robots series so was intrigued to see what this offered. The others reviews were favourable, so in the absence of a kindle edition, I ordered the paperback, which arrived within a week. Well, book one of the Android saga follows a hypothetical vision of the future, where humans (not the machines!!) are the bad guys. Think Data from Star Trek and you'll get the idea of these androids, so pretty likeable.
Now as for the cost of the book, which seems expensive, well note it's a large paperback with great cover art. It sits nicely on the bookshelf among the collection of space opera. I thought the story was superb and Eirini was such a sweet and intriguing character I want to know more. I searched for book two but can't find it. If anyone knows when it's out let me know.

Song of the Unicorn: A Tale of Landfall
Song of the Unicorn: A Tale of Landfall
by Paul J. Ward
Price: 15.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fantasy action, 20 Aug 2014
This seemed expensive for a paperback but realised it was a large paperback, so looks good on the bookshelf, with a quality cover. Goes nicely with The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and my collection of Raymond E. Feist novels. Plenty of fantasy battles and good characters. The author has come up with some new creatures which he refers to in his introduction as an attempt to avoid the usual beasts and monsters of the genre. It's good too, and I especially liked the glinphs, who could be the the protoganists in a sequel. Just to add this is not a children's book and has some quite graphic and gory scenes in places.
There's a comprehensive glossary for the main characters and additional short stories at the end of the book. I've not seen this before in a novel, but the author treats us to some short 'tales of youth' which tell us a bit more about the main characters when they were kids. The author suggests he may write more short stories and when I did a search I found 'The Curious Troll - Tales of Landfall' by the same author. However, this is aimed at young readers. I looked on the authors website and it seems he intends to write more 'Tales of Landfall' for kids but no mention of an adult novel or sequel to Song of the Unicorn.

Blood for the Living
Blood for the Living
by Kate Nevermore
Price: 7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and original, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blood for the Living (Paperback)
Bought this for my daughter but flicked through a few pages and it got me interested. Read it in a couple of sittings over the weekend before giving to my daughter! Well written and will have you intrigued....did a search but can't find any other works by this author. I understand that Kate Nevermore is working on a new novel. I will certainly buy it for my daughter.....but i'll read it first :)

Ten
Ten
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best girl band ever!, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
Fantastic album. Great to listen to & fine vocals from the girls. All the hits and familiar catchy tunes that are good to sing along to and bring a smile to the face.

Battlestar Galactica - The Movie  [DVD] [1980]
Battlestar Galactica - The Movie [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Richard Hatch
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie in need of the Star Wars (eps 4 to 6) treatment, 26 Feb 2011
I loved this film as a kid. So after watching the new series I decided to buy the original movie. The film and action are great but it needs the Star Wars (episodes 4 to 6) treatment. The picture quality is not particular good and with the restricted screen size the viewing experience was not good. An extra star for the nostalgia factor

Apocalypto [Blu-ray]
Apocalypto [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Rudy Youngblood
Price: 6.04

4.0 out of 5 stars A blu-ray must, 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: Apocalypto [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Great blu-ray purchase and a movie you can watch again and again. The movie looks stunning on blu-ray. Quite gory in places which I'm not keen on but it does actually work in the film! Watch and you will understand!

The Book of Eli [Blu-ray]
The Book of Eli [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 6.18

3.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Washington, 26 Feb 2011
After the hype was disappointed but gave one extra star for the blu-ray. I thought the Biblical concept for the source of Eli's motivation was ok but not particularly imaginative. Should have been better. Stick with Mad Max for post-Apocalyptic thrills!

The Special Relationship [DVD] [2010]
The Special Relationship [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Price: 7.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheen and Quaid - A Special Relationship, 26 Feb 2011
This was an easy political drama for me to watch, with Sheen and Quaid being two of my favourite actors. That said, all the supporting cast were very good. If you enjoy political drama then you will enjoy this but it's not quite as good as Frost/Nixon.

Michael Sheen Presents - You're The Boss [DVD]
Michael Sheen Presents - You're The Boss [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Football fun, 26 Feb 2011
Micheal Sheen presents an insightful look into the world of football management. The actor is very entertaining throughout the 60 minute DVD and I particularly liked his storybook telling of England managers!

Page: 1 | 2