Profile for S. Gatty Saunt > Reviews

Content by S. Gatty Saunt

S. Gatty Saunt "simon_gattysaunt" (London)

Jawbone JamBox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Black Diamond (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Terminal 1

3.0 out of 5 stars jambox - blue, 11 May 2011
Grt little speaker, was shocked when I 1st opened it by how small it was. However, it delivers amazing sound for such a small unit. I listen to base heavy electronic music and the sound it produces is very good, fantastic for a regular business traveler like myself and I use it for hands free calls and music on the road. No chargers or cables needed is an added bonus - battery stays charged for 12hrs continuous. Syncs perfectly with my HTC android.
However, it is not all great:
1) The price, I think 100GBP would be better aligned with the the product
2) If you have it on full volume on a smooth surface, it bounces around on the base and yesterday it bounced off the sink unit of my hotel room onto a hard floor, ouch! Luckily it is still ok, but I have learnt to place it on a small towel, or something similar to stop it moving
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 5:54 PM BST

Sony NW-HD3 20GB Network Walkman / MP3 Digitial Audio Player - Black
Sony NW-HD3 20GB Network Walkman / MP3 Digitial Audio Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent player - horrible sonic stage 2.3 software, 29 Mar 2005
Being a Sony, I expected good things from this player - and it did not fail to deliver. Very small and light, Battery life great - I travel a lot and did not want to carry yet another charger with me on a 3 day trip, 20GB memory - more than enough for a modest collection like mine (135 Album cd's has taken up a mere 6.1Gb's). Tough - I know this as I dropped the player onto tarmac from over a meter the 1st day I got it (ouch), but casing did not even scratch. Be careful on the format. It does take MP3 straight onto the player, but WMA is converted into Atrac3plus. Atrac3plus sounds pretty good, even when converted from WMA at 64Kbit. The sound of the player is generally good, but suffers from a lack of bass you would get on a CD walkman, even in high quality encoding, plus an upgrade pair of Sennheiser headphones. But overall very happy with the player.
Now the downside - Sonic stage 2.3. I had some major problems transferring all my WMA files from sonic stage to the player. I kept on getting error code messages and sonic stage would shut down (laptop runs win 2000) It could not handle large transfers and file conversions. Sonic stage 3 is supposedly just round the corner, which is meant to offer drag and drop file transfers - which should make life much easier.
However, having read the previous reviews I knew sonic stage was pretty awful, so I knew what I was letting myself in for. But now all my music is loaded I do not regret the purchase one bit. Any additional file transfers will be in small doses, which sonic stage handles well. Would have given 5* had it not been for awful software.