Profile for HJ Haugland > Reviews

Content by HJ Haugland

HJ Haugland "helen44"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
FootActive COMFORT - THE ORIGINAL - (UK 5 - 6.5 small)
FootActive COMFORT - THE ORIGINAL - (UK 5 - 6.5 small)
Offered by FootActive UK

5.0 out of 5 stars With a little tweaking, they work for metatarsal pain as well, 13 April 2016
After trying and failing with endless varieties of insoles from the cheapest to custom made orthotics, I have finally found a solution with these insoles to relieve metatarsal pain when running. I combine these insoles with metatarsal pads (pelotte) and Brooks Running Shoes from the Pure range and can finally, finally run with no pain. I know everybody needs to find out what works best for them, but for me, these insoles have finally offered a solution to a problem that has been endlessly frustrating for years. I see some people complain that the insoles are hard, but I have to say that is what makes them work. If they were soft, they would give no support - at least not for very long.

Bosch TWK8631GB Styline Collection Kettle, 1.5 L - White/Silver
Bosch TWK8631GB Styline Collection Kettle, 1.5 L - White/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect kettle - highly recommended, 27 Mar. 2016
I've had this kettle for more than two years now and it has been in daily use. I am very happy with it and have experienced no issues with it whatsoever. Variable temperatures are great and love that it beeps when it's reached the desired temperature. Would definitely buy again.

Lenovo YOGA 2 10.1-Inch Tablet (Silver) - (Intel Atom Z3745 1.86 GHz, 2 GB LP-DDR3 RAM, 32 GB EMMC, 8 MP (Rear) and 1.6 MP HD (Front) Camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Android 4.4)
Offered by TODO! TODO!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pain in the arse tablet, 7 Mar. 2016
I've owned this tablet for a year now and I can say with confidence that I will never buy again nor recommend. Within two weeks the screen cracked and like other reviewers have mentioned, it is not covered by the warranty. But the tablet has worked fine in spite of this crack so it hasn't been a major issue. What really annoys is endless though: the sensitivity of the screen is not good, typing is a pain in the arse, the extremely limited but persistent automatic spell checker that can't be switched off is just aggravating, apps that won't work properly, the very limited OS, I can't post in Facebook (!), the extensive charging time....so basically all I can use this tablet for is surfing the web: you can look but you can't touch!

Birkenstock ''Coburg'' from Leather in Black
Birkenstock ''Coburg'' from Leather in Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, highly recommended, 4 Nov. 2014
Unfortunately I can now only wear orthopedic shoes so I'm stocking up on different styles of Birkenstocks. These just arrived in the mail and I couldn't be happier. They look like a petite and elegant version of an army boot, or a better version of Dr Martens. The ankle is narrow (although adjustable) and there's a zip at the side, and the shoe itself is beautifully sculpted. They don't look at all like orthopedic shoes (broad toe-box) yet they are made around Birkenstocks familiar sole. The leather does feel a little like cardboard and not of the best quality, but other than that, I am very pleased with my purchase.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended if your need midfoot support, 13 Oct. 2013
I love these shoes. Bought them after suffering pain in the forefoot/toes due to a collapse of the transverse arch in the right foot. In my ordinary walking shoes I have to use metatarsal pads to alleviate the pain, but with these shoes I am fine running with just an ordinary sports insole. I think the reason why these shoes are so good is the combination of a low heel and a lot of extra midsole support. A very roomy toebox also gives my toes freedom to move in the shoe instead of squishing them together, further alleviating pain. It was a little odd at first the sensation of landing on the midfoot rather than the heel, but my running form now feels so much better, and painfree. When these wear out, I will definitely get the same shoe again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfy, 27 Mar. 2013
I bought these with a slightly different pattern. Shoes are very comfy, bouncy even, and I love wearing them with jeans. Shoes are true to size and so well proportioned that they feel like flats. The upper material is quite thick so they're quite warm and snug to wear - so perhaps not ideal for very hot weather.

Bad Pharma: How drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients
Bad Pharma: How drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients
by Ben Goldacre

4.0 out of 5 stars Important book, 10 Mar. 2013
Great book, very educational providing a thorough picture of how drugs go to market. Although the information in it is valuable and has significantly increased my understanding on the topic, actually reading the book was quite frustrating. I kept on getting the impression that I was being presented with information in a similar way as in those American real life TV dramas where everything is repeated and summarised again and again. The repetitions, in places the patronizing tone and the incorporation of dramatic writing techniques annoyed the hell out of me. As a reader I would like to be credited with an ability to acquire and retain information, so pedagogical in structure this book is not. That said, it's an important book on an important topic so do read it despite its flaws.

Age of Responsibility
Age of Responsibility
by Visser

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read if you have any interest in CSR, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Age of Responsibility (Hardcover)
This is a great introduction to the subject of CSR, providing a thorough background of its history, its different stages as the subject has matured and finally an outline of what principles CSR2 should encapsulate. I love the way the book is constructed, each chapter beginning with an overview of iconic leaders, periods, key ideas and references to aid further reading as well as providing a context. Each chapter also begins with a case study to put the theory in a real life context. Very readable text and highly recommended!

Ani's Raw Food Essentials
Ani's Raw Food Essentials
by Ani Phyo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very healthy raw food, 4 Feb. 2013
I agree with another reviewer here. The ingredients used in these recipes really aren't all that healthy or appealing. The overabundant use of nuts, seeds, oil, dates, avocado, bananas and agave syrup in every recipe just doesn't seem very healthy. The author admits herself that even on a 100% raw food diet, she is counting calories so as not to gain weight. I can see why. This is my first raw food recipe book, and although the book does offer insight into raw food "cooking", I think I will look elsewhere to get started with creating raw food meals - prepared with fresh fruit and vegetables.

Microsoft® Excel® 2010: Data Analysis and Business Modeling
Microsoft® Excel® 2010: Data Analysis and Business Modeling
by Wayne L. Winston

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reference, unclear explanations, 29 Jan. 2013
I bought this book to help me make use of some large and messy data sets at work. I had some very specific ideas about what I wanted from the data and in that sense this book came in handy.

The chapters all start with a set of questions, then go on to answer the questions and finish with further problems to practice with. The book effectively sets out to be a course in Excel. What I liked was that the book in this way introduced a range of different ways of looking at the the same problem, and then went on to introduce a range of different ways of solving them. To give a simple example, when I wanted to find a function that counted the number of days between two dates, this book introduced me to the function that only counted working days. In that sense the book is a great reference as it introduces a lot of Excel functions that you might not have known were available. But as I was working through the data to find the most suitable functions, I frequently found myself searching the internet or asking people for better explanations or examples of workable functions.

In summary, the book is a great reference and a good introduction to excel capabilities, but I didn't find the explanations clear enough to work with. As a course, I'm not sure how useful it is because I never tried it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4