Profile for Velma > Reviews

Content by Velma

Velma

Two Old Fools - Olé!  (Old Fools series Volume 2)
Two Old Fools - Olé! (Old Fools series Volume 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 1 Dec 2013
This is a great follow up to 'Chickens, Mules & Two Old Fools' as we catch up with life in El Hoyo, Spain. As well as some of the characters from Victoria's first book, we also meet some new neighbours, the large Ufartes family, as well as lots of cats. I definitely enjoyed her first book more - as the only slight criticism with this follow-up is the reproduction of her e-mails seem unnecessary and don't add anything to the book, but even so it's still certainly a great read.

Son of Serge Bastarde: Mayhem in the Antiques Markets of Rural France
Son of Serge Bastarde: Mayhem in the Antiques Markets of Rural France

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore! Brilliant!, 1 Dec 2013
The follow up to the brilliant 'Serge Bastard Ate My Baguette' finds us in the weird but wonderful world of the French brocanteur (antique dealer) and we meet the son of the wily Serge Bastarde. I made myself late a couple of times for work after reading in my lunch hour as I just couldn't put it down! John doesn't mind poking fun at himself, and certainly has a knack for bringing characters to life. When on holiday in France I have always loved poking around old stuff in junk shops and car-boots, and am now looking at vide-grenieres and brocantes with a different eye. What a brilliant community! Being more flea-market than posh-antique, and having enjoyed a bit of bin-diving now and again, I have also gained respect for big skips after reading this book! A laugh-out-loud book with some great characters. Can't wait for the next installment!

Best Foot Forward - A 500-Mile Walk Through Hidden France
Best Foot Forward - A 500-Mile Walk Through Hidden France

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 Dec 2013
This book is a good read, some parts I found a little 'samey' - which is the reason I dropped my rating by one star, but still recommended. Susie is certainly a tenacious lady and her account of her walk across France, with soakings a plenty, friendly and downright weird encounters with locals, blisters and a drop or two of wine to help her along her way, brings a smile to your face.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 1 Dec 2013
This book, written about the author's life in the southern states of American in the early to mid 1800's by a woman born into slavery, is an amazing read. She was a truly spirited lady and her account of her life and those of her family, particularly her children, is totally humbling.

Lowepro Event Messenger 250 Camera Bag for CSC and DSLR - Mica
Lowepro Event Messenger 250 Camera Bag for CSC and DSLR - Mica

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, big but will fit in loads of equipment, 30 Nov 2013
Yes, this bag is big, but it's so handy to fit in loads of stuff without having to leave lenses behind and regret later. Good padding, nice style, comfortable even if used all day, and robust. Not obviously a camera bag, just looks like a messenger bag. So much easier to open whilst on your shoulder than a bulky backpack if you want to rootle around and change lenses often. (I have a backpack for when I'm doing my off-roading hiking muddy 'nature' type jaunts). I've fitted my large 70-300 lens in, as well as the camera with it's normal lens attached. Lots of room for memory cards, batteries and general stuff. Yes, it's rather bulky but I've managed to holiday and walk around towns without too much hassle, and it's handy enough to fit in your assorted essential jumble such as wallet/passports etc alongside your camera items. It will even fit in a notebook in a padded section. If, however, you don't want to take too much you may well find the smaller bag just a little bit easier to manage particularly when in crowded places as this is a little bulky. After struggling with my backpack last time I went on holiday, particularly when doing the 'stop-take bag off-crouch down without tripping people up-find lens-close bag-swing bag back on without walloping by-passers' manoeuvre - I would highly recommend this bag.

Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + 128 Page Recipe Book - As voted "Best Buy" Ice Cream Maker By Which Magazine
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, delicious tasting icecream, 18 Nov 2012
Very simple to use, as long as you remember to freeze the inner bowl for at least 8 hours prior to making your ice cream. If you put the inner bowl in a clean dry carrier bag you can leave it in the freezer ready for whenever you need it. It's worth noting that most ice cream mixtures you make must be cooled in the fridge for about a half hour prior to making in the machine. The one's I've made so far have tended to be very soft when churned - so need popping in the freezer for a couple of hours to be just right for eating, so remember to work out in advance your timings! If left in the freezer overnight it may be too hard to scoop but just pop it in the fridge for a bit and it'll be just right. A steady hand is needed to pour the mixture into the bowl through a small opening, so using a funnel saves a lot of mess. The ice cream tastes fantastic, especially clotted cream and strawberry, and after seeing how much little cream is actually in supermarket ice cream I will be sticking to making my own yummy ones!

Aerolatte Black Milk Frother
Aerolatte Black Milk Frother

5.0 out of 5 stars Milk Frother-great for cappuccino, 18 Nov 2012
I bought this to go with an Aeropress Coffee Maker to make cappuccino. Using a tall jug that's not too wide, with hot milk warmed in the microwave for about 1 minute, seems to work best, and this way it's very easy to pour straight into your coffee and then spoon out any remaining froth for the top. Don't warm the milk too long as if you get a skin on it, it doesn't froth so well. I use semi-skimmed milk which gets lots of froth on top. Just experiment with the angle you hold it and how low in the milk (I find on the tilt is the best) and within a time or two you'll find you get the technique for great frothy milk easily - perfect for cappuccino. Just rinse the end straight after use before the milk dries on it, and that's all the cleaning it needs. It's also great you get a holder for it as I expect it would be easy to damage if you just end up shoving it loose in a drawer. Used with the aeropress I get a lovely cappuccino with lots of long lasting frothy milk - delicious!

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars AeroPress Coffee Maker -simple and delicious!, 18 Nov 2012
Very simple to use, makes nice tasting coffee in quick time, and is very easy to clean, just a rinse and your done! A tip is to rinse the filters and you can re-use them about 6 times, although they are not expensive to buy. You can use ready ground coffee from the supermarket or grind your own if you wish. Experiment with how long you leave it to steep or how much coffee you add and you can get a really nice flavour. If you add hot milk (which I warm in the microwave so no pans to clean!) it makes a really nice latte or add frothed hot milk (I use the Aerolatte milk frother) to make a great cappuccino. It makes one decent size mug full of cappuccino or two smaller size cups. Recommended as it's so easy and quick, and much nicer than coffee from a jar. Really pleased with it and glad I didn't waste money on an expensive coffee machine when this is just as good!