Profile for Mr. Derek Tunnicliffe > Reviews

Content by Mr. Derek Tunn...

Mr. Derek Tunnicliffe "derekt221" (France (ex-pat UK))

Two Lipsticks and a Lover
Two Lipsticks and a Lover
by Helena Frith Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars It will cost you!, 2 July 2008
No more the "5 for £1.00" from M&S and no more "just a night cream will do" approach. After reading this book Judith (my wife) has announced she "needs (but needs, not wants!) to get some new lingerie and to upgrade her cosmetics range.

Our Parisian friends confirm what Helena Frith Powell writes. So, it will cause you to spend more (but so much more wisely Judith says).

It's a book that irritates as much as it is enjoyable - at times, boring, even. And, it's clearly an Englishwoman's view of the way Parisians (and other French big-city women) go about their lives. Hence the 3*. Still a good read, though (which is why I'm buying for our two daughters - sorry hubbies!)

Hot Sun, Cool Shadow: Savouring the Food, History and Mystery of the Languedoc
Hot Sun, Cool Shadow: Savouring the Food, History and Mystery of the Languedoc
by Angela Murrills

5.0 out of 5 stars Go - see and taste for yourself, 24 Feb. 2007
This book livened an already keen interest in France and in French Regional cooking. So many of the places are off the recognised travel guide routes - yet appear tempting from Angela Murrills' superb (delicious?) descriptions and Peter Matthews' illustrations. This has now become our travel guide "par excellence" - and the hotels, restaurants and sites of the Languedoc are , rightly, profiting from that.

Buy it, read it, and I dare you to say you won't visit!

Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book: Ten Favourite Stories - and more!
Horrid Henry's Big Bad Book: Ten Favourite Stories - and more!
by Francesca Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars how an 8 year- old sold us on Horrid Henry, 8 Mar. 2006
Stuck for choice of books for my grandchildren, in a Manchester bookstore, I noted a young boy and his father searching the shelves. The boy explained: he wanted more Horrid Henry - he had learned to enjoy reading after someone bought him his first H-H. On his advice, I bought this one. The grandchildren's response was "Wow! More, more" - and so was that of their friends who heard the stories too. So, I'm looking for more. NB I don't enjoy them so much but then, I'm not the right age any more.