Profile for Wagnerite > Reviews

Wagnerite "W" (Uk)

Cutting Loose
Cutting Loose

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Cutting Loose (Kindle Edition)
This was recommended to me by a friend of the author and at first I was a little disappointed by the rather stodgy opening pages in which the rather too deliberate social context got in the way of the plot. Equally the narrative voice appeared very contrived (something which continued to irritate throughout the book) and the over obvious 'research' got in the way of story and character. This is a book which would have benefited from some judicious editing. Gradually however I began to sympathise with the very appealing main character (Rob) and his group of family and friends while the 2 genuinely nasty 'baddies' both amused and frightened. The plot, while simple and a little predictable grabbed my attention and the ending was both satisfying and (only just) credible i.e. the 'baddies' got their just deserts. The epilogue didn't work for me - clumsy and a little pompous but for those who like a simple story well told and populated with sympathetic characters this is a pleasant read and particularly for those who remember the 60's and even more for those who remember the North East of England. I bought his on the American Amazon site (living abroad I can't purchase from Kindle UK) and for the price of just under $4 it was worth buying and at considerably less on Amazon UK I would recommend it to anybody who fits the above criteria - just don't expect it to be up there with more established crime writers such as Rankin, Peter James etc.!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2012 5:35 AM GMT