Profile for The Banbury Beard > Reviews

Content by The Banbury Beard

The Banbury Beard (Oxfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Some Fantastic Place
Some Fantastic Place
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic words and music - by one of England's best ever bands, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Some Fantastic Place (Audio CD)
Chris Difford is one of this country's finest ever poets. The lyrics on the title track alone are worth the purchase price. It's a true story about a sad loss at an all-too-young age... I've been there myself, and this brilliant song was a small part of the grieving and recovery process. But aside from that, it's just the most brilliant, joyously uplifting, piece of songwriting.

Inspector Montalbano: Series One (5 Disc DVD)
Inspector Montalbano: Series One (5 Disc DVD)
Dvd ~ Luca Zingaretti
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinque stelle!, 5 Jan. 2015
Start watching the first episode and you'll be hooked.

A Physical Presence
A Physical Presence

4.0 out of 5 stars Memorable performance by the original line-up, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Physical Presence (Audio CD)
I'm not usually keen on live recordings - but I'll make an exception here. Bought it to replace the long-since retired (and incomplete) vinyl LP, so I hadn't heard it for many years. It's as enjoyable and infectious as it's always been. Recorded at the Woolwich Coronet, Reading Hexagon and Chippenham Goldiggers in March/April 1985. I was at the Reading gig - a memorable performance by the original line-up and still great to play LOUD today.

Welcome Back Colour
Welcome Back Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful songs.... great music, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Welcome Back Colour (Audio CD)
If you've not yet come across Denmark's Tina Dico, try You Tube for her video of "Sacré Coeur" (included on this double CD).

It was her vocals on Zero 7's second album "When It Falls" in 2004 that first captivated me. Check out Zero 7's performance of "Home" on Jimmy Kimmel Live and you'll see why.

I've never been jealous of a microphone stand before!

Yes she's beautiful. But so is her voice. And so is her music.

GENTS LEATHER WALLET AND CHAIN (086) (BLACK)
GENTS LEATHER WALLET AND CHAIN (086) (BLACK)
Offered by Leather Express Dispatch

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, and I'm pleased it was still available ..., 5 Jan. 2015
I'm on my second - the previous one lasted a long time, but eventually needed replacing. It's a lovely wallet, great value, and I'm pleased it was still available so that I could replace like for like.

Centenary: Words And Music Of The Great War
Centenary: Words And Music Of The Great War

5.0 out of 5 stars My purchase of the year., 4 Aug. 2014
Just treat yourself!

Genesis Revisited: Live At The Royal Albert Hall
Genesis Revisited: Live At The Royal Albert Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars "Agnostic Guitar" - nice one, Steve!, 4 Aug. 2014
I enjoy watching the DVD more than listening to the CDs. Other reviewers have mentioned their dislike of the intrusive bass. It is definitely overblown and overpowering in places, and having it turned up to 11 (sic!) in the mix does spoil the subtlety of these wonderful compositions.

Hackett's playing is sublime, as ever - on both electric and "agnostic" guitar.

Triple Album Collection
Triple Album Collection
Offered by Anverkauf

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice-to-have replacement... for old times' sake!, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Triple Album Collection (Audio CD)
"Wired To The Moon" is an enjoyable album. I've owned it since its release 30 years ago, but - like another Chris Rea CD in my collection, it has become unreadable/unplayable. (The manufacturers' oft-repeated assertions in the mid-80s that CDs were indestructible has proven to be as faulty as some of their products!). I'm happy to have replaced it, for old times' sake.

I hadn't bought (or heard) "The Blue Café prior to this purchase; a pleasurable listen.

Original Album Series
Original Album Series

3.0 out of 5 stars Caution - tinkering alert!, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
Bought this primarily to replace my CD of "Watersign", that has stopped functioning.

Also because, for some reason, I never got round to upgrading my favourite Chris Rea album "Shamrock Diaries" from LP to CD. I'm really not sure I should have bothered. The recording quality on Shamrock is appalling... the sound keeps dropping out of the right channel. And I preferred the version of "Josephine" on the LP to the inferior version that appears on the CD. Rea has recorded so many versions of the song, on singles and other compilations; he (or the record company) should have left the original album untampered.

Blight & Blossom
Blight & Blossom

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs in the family, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Blight & Blossom (Audio CD)
Anyone who has the genes of Ashley Hutchings and Judy Dunlop has got to have inherited some of their respective musicality and influences. This CD surpasses expectation. Clearly, his father's association with Richard Thompson ("a family friend", quoth Blair at a recent gig) has also left its mark. This young man has an extraordinary talent... sublime guitar playing and an ecceptional voice. Play loud.

Page: 1 | 2