Profile for Ross1927 > Reviews

Content by Ross1927

Ross1927 "R K Welch" (Cardiff, Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by Entertainment-Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant-Kay at his best, 31 July 2010
I didn't get into Phoenix nights until I seen repeats of Series 2 on channel 4 which were hilarious and easy to get into and having seen this product advertised with series 1 which I hadn't seen I thought why not buy it and was not let down.

Series 1 I will say is slow to start off and you will need to get into it quick but of course its funny with a racist folk band singer about holy communion shoes(send the buggers back) the club being powered by a street lamp, a drunken horse, a German fruit machine, fire safety officer Keith Lard(who was rumoured to have got arrested for having sex with dogs!) and Max and Paddy dealing with drunken midgets on a stag do wearing Bolton football tops.

Series 2 I would say is the best of the 2 discs as the characters have developed more with a storyline after Phoenix is burnt down due to a stray lit cigar in a bin left by bitter rival Den Perry, Brian loses his liesence and his pride then decides to get the gang back together and reopen the club with a fun day that has a bouncy castle from Amsterdam have a giant penis on front which they disguise as a snake, Gypsies using real spray paint for face painting, reconstrucing the fire for a TV crime show and ending on a high running a stars in your eyes show as themselves!

Definitley worth getting with the funniest scene being Max and Paddy driving Asians to the mosque singing along to 'Armirallo' and encourging the moody Asians to join in aswell!

Also recomended is Max and Paddy's road to nowhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 7:37 PM BST

Awaydays [DVD]
Awaydays [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stephen Graham

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film,no where no near the book though!, 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Awaydays [DVD] (DVD)
Seeing this film for the first time in the cinema last year my reaction was 'good' could've made it better, however after seeing film on sale this year I thought 'why not' anyhow after seeing it for a few times it has changed my opinion on the film by not giving a real chance first time around I mean anyone who went to watch obivously thought it was going to be like 'Football Factory'(which is totally different from the excellent book to be spoiled by the chav style actors) I say give it a chance.

Like the book it centers around Carty who enjoys gigging,buying records,pulling women but most of football who wants to join the Pack who follow Tranmere Rovers up and down the country fighting rival hooligans, but he feels he's not up to it until he meets Elvis at a gig who hit it off big time however both have opposite views about the pack with Carty eager to get in while Elvis doesn't want Carty to mix with the people he associate with as he calls 'wankers' himself while trying to find a way out but seems to be drawn back everytime.

As the film goes on there's Carty's relationship with his sister who he is very close with but always seems to let her down, his Uncle Bob who is his boss at the civil servants who tries to pursade Carty to go on to better things.

The music, where do I start with that! excellent soundtrack even though I was born in 1983 I love all that late 70's punk/post punk and new wave and the fashion of sports gear that they wore with out being too chavy.

In all a good film but compared to the book I was disapointed neither the less worth watching to make your own judgement.

Marchin' Already
Marchin' Already
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up ., 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Marchin' Already (Audio CD)
After listiening to their Molsey Shoals album and seeing the band live at recent gig in Cardiff, hearing a few songs off this album live I just felt I had to buy this one with no regrets.

Songs I enjoy are the first 3 which are Hundred mile high, better day and travellers tune which make a perfect introduction, get blown away I would say has good guitar work, the instrumental All up,Half a dream which is very catchy.

I like the rest of the album but its a mellowy compared to the Molsey which I won't say is a bad thing.

by Kevin Sampson

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and exciting debut novel, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Awaydays (Paperback)
I bought this book years ago having taking an interest in football culture along with music and fashion having read the book 3 times I never tire of it.

The book centres around Carty who is an avvid Tranmere Rovers fan(a change from the usual West Ham or Chelsea) who works 9 to 5 for civil services who spends his money and social life on music,gigs,trying to catch up on fashion, getting women, but most of all football in which he also dreams of being part of 'The Pack' a group of hooligans who fight various hooligans from rival clubs again a change from top flight Utd's, L'Pool,West Ham and Millwall to the 'untrendy' clubs of Wrexham,Port Vale and Crewe of the 3rd division who got through after meeting the other main character of the book Elvis who unlike the rest of the pack has a lot in common with Carty who are both different from the rest with their tastes in music etc...

As you read along the book you read about Carty's and Elvis relationship in life Carty who is coping from the loss of mum a year ago, his feelings towards his father who becomes less distant with him and his sister who seem more like friends.

I won't give much away but I'll say my best chapter would when Carty and couple of The Pack gets revenge on a couple of rugby boys who assaulted his sister where it tells you about the the working class footie fan divide to the wannabe upper with rugby and the hilarious scene in the church with Elvis at midnight mass on Christmas eve which turns serious when Elvis makes a confession.

Very enjoyable which I would say is better than Football Factory(won't beat Human Punk) The Crew and 10 times more than the film which I thought was good but it wasn't accepted as first thought.

Buy now!

Alive and Kicking (Quick Reads)
Alive and Kicking (Quick Reads)
by Andy Legg

4.0 out of 5 stars Andy is a Bluebird!, 19 Mar. 2010
Got my copy of this book on a day he was doing a book signing in which I got my copy signed and spoke to him for abit in which he seems a nice honest guy unlike most footballers who sleep with team mates partners.

Anyhow onto the book which the main subjects are his battle with cancer and his playing career which includes his hometown Swansea and later on my team Cardiff which was not an easy decesion at first with constant abuse from our fans despite scoring goals and performance it was only until an local derby match with Swansea that he had won the fans over by 'fouling' a player should we say and his special tactic the long throw which proved valuble for clubs he played for.

His story about battling with cancer must have been a tough moment in his life as he put off having a check up after his wife noticed a lump, when his ordeal was made public he not only had support from fans of clubs he played for but also bitter rival clubs who would say they would have loved to had him on the team.

For someone who was never top flight he had a good career with the clubs in the 2nd to 4th tiers in the league which include West Brom to Peterborough and repesenting his country with Wales.

Not a long book which should take no longer than 2 hours however it would be nice for Andy Legg if he released a longer book.

Moseley Shoals
Moseley Shoals
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a fresh debut album-but its not!, 18 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Moseley Shoals (Audio CD)
As I said on my title of my review this is not their first album as they released an album before Moseley Shoals which wasn't recived well but this album however was released at the right time during the britpop era and still sounds new as before.

Tracks which stand out for me Riverboat song-perfect intro,Day we caught the train-great single,The circle-one of the heavyweights especially with Paul Weller's influence,Policeman and pirates,Downstream-excellent and You've got it bad are all that I would say are the best songs on the album.

Its no wonder Paul Weller worked with them as you get that feeling of influence with them e.g. Oasis.

Highly recommended along with Marchin' already.

Lust For Life
Lust For Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Old school punk., 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Lust For Life (Audio CD)
As a music fan whos got into Iggy Pop due to my musical influences (Joy Division,Sex Pistols,Clash,etc..even through Trainspotting)and not that insurance ad! Got to say that this album blends in well with each song.Favourite songs would be Lust for life which obiviously is well known,Sixteen,some weird sin,Passenger,Neighborhood threat and Fall in love with me.

The Iggy/Bowie collaboration has done the singer well I get the feeling that he was appreciated more in Britian than his home especially when you see of influences in Trainspotting(book/flim) and the Ian Curtis film Control.

I am yet to try The Idiot but I'd say this album would be good enough for his career.

Billy's Log
Billy's Log
by Dougie Brimson

4.0 out of 5 stars A life in the office., 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Billy's Log (Paperback)
Having read Brimson's previous novels the excellent Crew and Top Dog I thought about giving this book a try about an office worker who's often gets into various disasters, who likes a couple of pints and supports his beloved Watford FC although relagated from top flight still willing not to miss a match while putting up with his workmates who often get on his nerves time to time.

After being single for some time he tries to find love and he finally bags a girl at work but being single for so long has lacked his understanding of women especially when it comes to not missing a game football.

An easy book to get into which can at times drag as hes doing the same thing as you would write in a blog never the less a good read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2011 6:58 AM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Manchester classic!, 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Life (Audio CD)
For some bizarre reason most of my music collection is either from Manchester or was influenced by the Madchester scene(Oasis,Joy Division,Happy Mondays, New Order,Stone Roses,Charaltans, Buzzcocks I could go on)

On listiening to this album when I got it straight away after listiening I knew this was an album that you could listien to start to finish like Happy Mondays Pill thrills...,New Order's Techneque and the Jam's All Mod cons and when it finishes you want to cry out for more.

Songs which impressed me Directing Traffik, Bedside me and Many happy returns(those two being the heavyweights on the album)Sun don't shine, Inside my head and finally Move.

Well recommended

Powder: An Everyday Story of Rock'n'roll Folk
Powder: An Everyday Story of Rock'n'roll Folk
by Kevin Sampson

4.0 out of 5 stars You'd think you were reading a biography of a band/the record industry, 5 Dec. 2009
I bought this book after reading the author's prevous books Awaydays and Leisure and being a big music fan I can't help but compare the book to real bands as Kevin Sampson has experience in that field with being a manager with Liverpool group the Farm.

Reading through the book the record company boss Guy you can't help but compare to Tony Wilson with ReHab being the fictional Factory records, with Wheezer was a good character as the bands manager who you'd think was being used or a user himself,Keva the vocalist and songwriter who often distance himself from the rest of the group, James I would say made me laugh at times by not giving toss about things by boozing,taking drugs,shagging nearly every woman he bumps into on tour even a girl with a false leg which he masturbates on the stump! theres Beano the drummer with a bit of an attitude and Tony who wants a bit of different direction with dance music.

An enjoyable book although the part where they tour the states can drag abit never the less well worth the read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3