Profile for S. Herbertson > Reviews

Content by S. Herbertson

S. Herbertson

Page: 1 | 2
TDK T78838 TAC3211 Ultra Portable Travel Speaker for iPod/iPhone with Fold & Go Design
Offered by gayaza70

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little speaker with lots of unexpected additions, 16 Sep 2014
This is just brilliant - the speakers that just keep giving. So, we ordered this for a holiday abroad and had managed our expectations - particularly as they were under £23. They look great, they sound great and there is far more than expected in the box. The case itself is like a large glasses case, really slimline and so easy to pack. Whilst they take 4 AAA batteries, they also come with a mains charger. Great in itself, but that also comes with three interchangeable heads - UK, EU and US/Australia. These clip off really easily and means that you can take the relevant head when travelling. The sound is good - OK it's not going to be amazing quality but it's great for a small device whilst away. The other plus is that you can use it here in a razor socket if you want a little speaker in the bathroom - again, a great addition in functionality. And finally, if you use it with an iPhone (you will need an adaptor if yours is a lightning connector) or an iPod touch you can download a free App which gives the whole unit an alarm clock function. All in all, so worth the money. I am seriously considering buying one to leave in the bathroom and one that's just for travel.

Low Carb Revolution: Comfort Eating for Good Health
Low Carb Revolution: Comfort Eating for Good Health
by Annie Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing - and delicious!, 23 Jun 2014
We LOVE this book. We have been following the Harcombe diet for some time and wanted to expand our repertoire a little so decided to give this a try. Firstly, the presentation and style of the book is great, Annie Bell writes really honestly and in a way that immediately draws you in. This is one of those cookbooks which as you work through you are taken by how many recipes you want to try - starting immediately with the fish and chips on the cover. So far we have tried them (quite involved but delicious - ground almonds instead of breading on the fish - who knew?) celeriac chips - a revelation (in fact, the general use of celeriac is great); spaniah tortilla; steak casserole with crispy onions and brocolli mash (another revelation); full English salad; juicy chicken with spinach. So far, not one mis-hit. The key thing is that you genuinely don't feel like you are on a diet - you are eating delicious varied food, just with a lot less carbs. One word of advice - stock up on olive oil - you will get through a lot in the various recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it - from a committed bibliophile, 27 May 2014
So, it took me a while and a fair bit of resistance but I succumbed and bought the Paperwhite in April and I absolutely love it. It's really easy to set up and organise (I have created a number of Collections, which has made storing books much easier). My only slight concern when I first got going was the slight flicker as you 'turned' the page, but it was just a case of getting used to it. I have been able to buy and store books for travel that I would never have been able to take away with me previously (equivalents of hardback biographies, larger political and historical books etc). Whilst I will never turn away from the printed book completely, the pricing of the majority of Kindle versions make it very tempting to go for that format. Also, as a word of caution, do be careful with your purchases - it's so easy to buy and download immediately that you can soon spend quite a substantial amount! The Kindle daily deals and Countdown deals are very tempting with books commonly under £1. If I were repurchasing I may consider the 3G variant as the connection to wireless networks other than my home can be a little tricky at times. I fully recommend the site: [...] for checking on price reductions on ebooks. All in all, a great purchase and one which I fully recommend

Conundrum Wine Aerator Decanter Drinking Gift
Conundrum Wine Aerator Decanter Drinking Gift
Offered by CKB LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, works perfectly, 25 Nov 2013
Right, first things first, yes this only holds half a bottle. But that's fine. You pour the wine in, and then you immediately pour a glass (or two) then add the remaining wine. No biggie. The aeration works immediately so as soon as the wine is in the decanter, it's ready to drink. I blind-tested it on my partner - two glasses of red, one from the decanter, one straight from the bottle and he immediately picked the aerated wine - on two occasions with different wines. Apart from anything else, the decanter looks beautiful, it's such a lovely addition to the table. And the fact that it's smaller works in its favour with regard to storing it. We will be buying another, just because we like them so much and intend to have a couple on the table at any time. Washing-wise, we haven't put it through the dishwasher, it is quite fragile, but a quick rinse with warm water and then standing it upright on the draining board has been more than adequate so far. We love it - and heartily recommend it.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly good., 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
The Secret History was always going to be a hard act to follow, and whilst I didn't dislike The Little Friend as much as many seemed to, it didn't hold me in the same way as her debut. The Goldfinch, however, is a complete return to form - and an absolute tour de force. From the very opening you know that this is work of immense quality. The palpable tension as Theo, the protagonist, takes you through his tragedy and loss is breathtaking. Just because you know what is about to happen doesn't lessen its impact. This is a book to lose yourself in; one of those special works that leaves you bereft when you finish - a sense of loss that there is no more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2014 7:39 PM BST

The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
The Curry Secret: How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home
by Kris Dhillon

5.0 out of 5 stars It works. A bit of work to have curries on hand all week..., 31 May 2013
I discovered this book through a recommendation in the Guardian and, having read lots of the positive reviews, decided to try it. I also downloaded the Kindle version of the New Curry Secret The New Curry Secret so I had the newer version of the sauce recipe (less smell, apparently). The sauce is a doddle but you really have to manage your expectations. You are not producing something that fills your house with exotic smells - it's basically onions, garlic, ginger and water - which then has tomatoes, turmeric and paprika added. What you end up with is an all-purpose base for any number of takeaway style curries. Though the book is 20 years old now, the basics of the curries still stand up. The base sauce can easily be divided up and makes enough for around 6 separate curries serving 3 people. We have tried Bhuna Masala, Vindaloo (the vindaloo recipe in the second book is much better). I would approach the book with a real open mind, use the sauce recipe from the second book and then just mix and match recipes. You can freeze both the sauce and prepared meats which means you can pull a really good curry together in around 20 minutes in the evening. I also highly recommend making the garam masala from scratch and having a jar to hand - it beats any bought one into a cocked hat!

Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner with 1TB Recorder
Humax HDR-FOX T2 Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner with 1TB Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic purchase - crisp HD pictures, 18 April 2013
We bought this as we needed something we could record TV on - and wanted Freeview HD functionality. We live in a large apartment and the aerial is upstairs so there is always a concern with signal degradation as it has to travel so far. This box more than copes. The HD imaging is superb and completely reliable; a previous set-up with HD built into a TV was very flaky but this is excellent. The twin tuner is such a bonus too - we were able to record two simultaneous shows (both in HD). The user interface is very good and set-up was a breeze. We use a pro-line adaptor so it's effectively hard-wired into the ethernet - this enables access to online software updates and to the TV portal. The TV portal is basic - BBC iPlayer the only thing of real interest. It will be interesting (and welcome) if the other catch-up TV services follow suit. Recordings are easy to set-up - and the recommended programme feature is a nice touch (programming Coronation Street, the box then recommended that we watch Scott and Bailey). Setting up a week's worth of programmes isn't quite as intuitive as (say) Sky - as you can't jump to specific days but this is a small niggle. Overall, we are delighted - the quality is superb and the range of functions are more than we expected.

Sony NS510 Portable Wireless Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer)
Sony NS510 Portable Wireless Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars A-maz-ing speaker - great quality and fantastic sound..., 20 Feb 2013
LOVE this speaker - it's unleashed my music collection around the house at last! Prior to this I've had my iPod in various docks around the house while 26000+ tracks languished on my Mac. Now it all streams beautifully wherever I choose to put the speaker. The sound quality is so much richer and warmer than I've been used to. We have quite a complicated wifi set-up with a Sky Router and Airport Express and initially had a few conflicts when we plugged the speaker in (the set-up of which is best done through an app which is available for Apple or Android). The initial glitches were soon solved and we have now had no sound dropping at all. Music streams from my Mac via AirPlay downstairs (through thick concrete flooring in our large apartment) and we've had no trouble. Streaming direct from my phone via iMatch was a bit flakier but as all my music comes from Mac anyway, that feels like a trivial problem. I also have free subscription to Deezer through my phone contract and being able to play that through the speaker has really opened up the service. As I can play music through my TV via Apple TV, we are already able to get the party feel by synching the two and having the speaker downstairs. We will also invest in another for the bedroom as we are so impressed and love the idea of music flooding through the whole apartment. It's the SONOS effect for a fraction of the price and so user-friendly...Highly recommended...

Trixie Isaba Scratching Post, 62 cm, Black/ White
Trixie Isaba Scratching Post, 62 cm, Black/ White

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on the cats - but ours love scratching this, 31 Jan 2013
First things first. Study the picture attached to this and you will notice an incredibly badly photo-shopped cat lounging on the top. Don't let this put you off, but do be advised that neither bed is particularly large so if you do have large cats - this probably isn't for you. Both of ours scratch happily away at this - often in tandem. One of ours, we've discovered, doesn't like the feel of fake fur so doesn't engage with the beds. The other will happily snuggle up in either area, looking down imperiously on the other one. It's a well-made post - sturdy enough and very easy to assemble. There are so many posts on the market - and this one compliments another we have with dangly balls so is a bit more interactive. These are always a risk and cats are such contrary creatures but ours have certainly made good use of this.

Cat Mate Pet Fountain
Cat Mate Pet Fountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - we were doubters but are converts!, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cat Mate Pet Fountain (Misc.)
This is just great. We have two new cats who are indoor only and after much reading up on suitable food etc decided to keep them on a good quality indoor dry food - so plenty of fresh water was paramount. We went for this and, despite some scepticism about how they would take to it, were delighted that they both drank from all three levels readily. The motor on ours in completely silent, the filter works well. We tend to keep a couple of days worth of water topped up and then give the whole thing a good rinse on the third day a refill. The water is cooler as it's constantly moving and it holds so much, so that if you are away for an evening you know that it won't run out - as a bowl may. Our two lovelies, Joan and Vera, love it and have made full use of it. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2