Profile for AMCJ > Reviews

AMCJ

Big Book of Yoga Therapy: Yoga Practice for Health and Clarity
Big Book of Yoga Therapy: Yoga Practice for Health and Clarity
by Remo Rittiner

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book for practising yoga at any level, 10 May 2012
Have you been to yoga classes intending to practise at home and then "never got around to it"? Then this is the book to help inspire you when you are not at a class.
Clearly written and illustrated, this book is a must for practising yoga for health and flexibility It is also extremely useful and informative for helping with physical problems. The illustrations and legends, and the brief and straightforward instructions, enable you to work steadily into a posture and build up simply, especially if you are out of practice with yoga or completely new to it.
It also has plenty to interest and inform the more experienced yoga practitioner.
I would highly recommend this book, whatever your requirements of yoga, as being one of the clearest and most useful I have ever read.
On that note, you really don't have to read it cover to cover. You you can also dip into it by consulting the index and then start yourself off on a simple routine, or a targeted one for specific physical issues.

The Various Haunts Of Men: Simon Serrailler Book 1
The Various Haunts Of Men: Simon Serrailler Book 1
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds the attention well but some jarring details, 19 Feb. 2012
I found the structure of the book to be well done: introducing a whole range of characters who tie into the story, many of them with quite plausible lives and characters - though there seemed to be some rather stereotypical exceptions, such as the female GP, the rather contrived 'Dava' and the boutique owner. On the other hand, I felt the character of, for example, DC Nathan Coates, Iris Chater, Freya and the psychopath himself were all rather good.

I have one small 'beef' about soe of the names. Sometimes they simply leap out of the page as 'over-thought out' or too non-run-of-the-mill, for example Graffham. Although Serrailler I found works well, for it leaves you wondering about how it has been anglicised in its pronunciation and somehow seems to suit this 'eminent' family Hill has created, with their generations of medical practitioners.

There was an interesting sub-story going on. At first I thought this was going to be an almighty exposé of alternative therapists and practitioners, and as such, rolled my eyes in annoyance. However, as I progressed through the book, I could not help thinking that Hill wanted to raise questions and indicate the grey areas of alternative vs. medical practise as the novel's backdrop, rather than simply debunking complementary therapies. For example, although she painted Dava as a charlatan, it did appear that Debbie Parker started to turn her depression around as a result of seeing him. GP Cat Deerborn is determined from the start to unmask the 'psychic surgeon' as a doer of harm and a fraud, but when a patient claims she has been sexually abused by him, this turns out to be a red herring. There is the medium, who seems to hit some of the people she consults with startling truths about their deceased relatives. She is not debunked, as such. There is also great ambiguity in the character of the perpetrator of the murders. He is a complementary therapist who achieves good results with his patients but at the same time he is killing people for his 'research'. He also began a medical training. Overall, there is a blurring of conventionally held thinking on the subject of healing.

She creates a good atmosphere around the disappearance of the people who go missing and the sometimes devastating effect this has on the people involved with them.

I have to maintain that despite the stereotypes which often do seem rather clunky - and which almost made me give it 3 stars, she has woven a convincing plot and a good atmospheric thriller.

Stranger in the House: Women's Stories of Men Returning from the Second World War
by Julie Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-observed and informative book, 28 May 2011
It is a while ago that I read it, but I recall that this book gives amazing insight into both the practical and emotional difficulties encountered by returnees from these horrendous 3½ years.
I have one observation - I fully appreciate Julie's perspective and those of some of the other families, where the returning men were violent. However, the experience of my own father's return from being a FEPOW was the opposite - he absolutely eschewed violence and never raised a hand to my sister and I. Since we were born on the 60s it is possible that both his age and the 20 years that had elapsed in between had mellowed him. The elements I certainly did identify with nonetheless were the emotional distancing and depression.
This made it all the more interesting for me to read as, of course, when Julie's father returned, he had to deal with an entire family immediately after such diabolical experiences. We were perhaps luckier to have been born later on.
Nevertheless, it is an excellently written and observed account.