Profile for Sophie Alex > Reviews

Content by Sophie Alex

Sophie Alex

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Price: 2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Competition for the Hunger Games, 27 April 2014
I read this after seeing quite a big deal being made about the recently released film and I really liked it.
It's very Hunger Games-esque in that it's set in a post almost apocalyptic war time period where people have been split into 'factions' but based on their personality traits rather than their jobs.
When she turns 16 Beatrice must decide what one of 5 factions to choose and whether to stay with her family or move factions.
After her aptitude test which reveals a bit more about her than expected she changes factions (sorry if this is a spoiler, but it's very obvious from the beginning of the book that she'll be changing!). Then we follow her life as she trains and competes for a place with her new faction.
The only real criticism I have is that as a 16 year old girl who has never so much as looked a boy properly in the eyes or held hands she suddenly becomes infatuated with her teacher, and the feeling is mutual. It's definitely written more as if she's a 19/20 year old and in some places I would consider the relationship between this 16 year old girl and essentially her teacher as bordering on paedophilic and above all just unrealistic. I hope this sorts itself out in the later books but have a feeling it won't/ Will be interesting to see how this aspect of the book is portrayed in the film!

Alone: The Girl in the Box, Book 1
Alone: The Girl in the Box, Book 1
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll be reading some more of the books in this series, 27 April 2014
Was recommended this by a friend so thought I'd give it a go. Rather than write a few normal length books the author has written 8(?) shorter books which is quite nice if you want something to read that you can finish in one or two days.
The main character has been locked in her house and trained all her life by her mother and some of the reasoning behind this is revealed in the first book but I'm sure this is a storyline that will continue into the other books. The first three books are free so I'll at least be giving the next two a try!

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed the Devil wears Prada then you'll enjoy this too, 27 April 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this easy read with a decent enough storyline. Definitely one for the beach/holiday list.

We catch up with Andy who is now juggling a fiancé, an unexpected pregnancy and her own magazine. Oh and of course the return of the dreaded Miranda. You'll have to read it to find out if Andy finally gets over her fear of Miranda and lives happily ever after!

Would love them to make this into a film too!

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
Price: 2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Never been so happy to finish a book in my life., 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
The most concise way to explain my feelings about this book would be simply to say that I hated it and have described it to friends as the worst book I have ever read.
It got off to a strong and you could say explosive start in every sense of the word, but it was all downhill from there.
It was the first time I have read something by this author so I don't know if her writing style is to drag out events for chapters rather than pages but it was the book equivalent of watching a TV drama that includes every detail of the characters lives from what they ate for breakfast to how many times they went to the bathroom. I don't care just tell me the story!
The story itself is actually quite good but is completely overshadowed by the endless descriptions of the main character's daily life and a convoluted writing style.
The main character, a young boy living in New York loses his mother in a terrorist attack and is sent to live with his estranged father in Las Vegas, who we know from the offset is not going to be a model father. Cue a good third of a very long book repeatedly telling us about the boy and his friends daily drug and alcohol binges. I did not need to be told about fifty different examples of a fourteen year old boy getting drunk and waking up hungover; we all know what hungover feels like. In my opinion this whole section of the book added absolutely nothing to the main story of the book. It does however manage to pick itself back up when we rejoin the main character about a decade later. I think I was supposed to feel sorry for the boy in this book but you can only read about someone's problems with alcohol and drugs before you want to slap them and tell them to just pull themselves together.
I'm incredibly proud of myself for actually bearing with this book and finishing it, what could have been a good story completely overshadowed by drawn out nonsense.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 8:13 PM BST

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
Price: 2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't finished it but had to review it already!, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
I have absolutely loved this book so far. I've really enjoyed the story itself but more than anything I love the way it's written, a writing style unlike anything I've read before and it's brilliant.
Set in Nazi Germany, 'Death' introduces us to the book thief; a young non-Jewish German girl called Liesel and narrates her childhood, including her struggle to learn to read and consequent quest for reading material (hence the books title). I love every character in this book but especially the personification of Death. I've never read anything that portrays Death as a nice guy before, there's no stereotypical cloak and scythe to be seen.
Looking forward but also dreading the end of this book, the next book I read is going to have a hard act to follow.

10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat  [DVD]
10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat [DVD]
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these DVD's!, 26 Mar 2014
This was the second DVD I have bought from the 10 minute solution collection after being really impressed with the first.
They're really reasonably priced and as someone that gets bored very easily when working out I love that you can mix it up with different combinations.
The DVD has 5 different segments, each roughly 10 minutes long. You can choose just one, customise your workout by putting a few together or do all 5 routines, one of which is usually a warm up/cool down and stretching based.

This DVD is obviously stomach based so has different stomach exercises to do but others usually have a legs, abs, bums etc section so you can choose to workout whatever parts you want!

Much prefer these to celebrity endorsed fitness videos and will definitely buy some more in future!

Catching Fire
Catching Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beach read, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Catching Fire (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first book and loving it I decided I couldn't really go wrong buying the second to read on the beach.
It's a perfect holiday read as the story is nothing to intense and very easy to put down and pick up again when you fancy a quick swim in the pool!
Would recommend this to anyone from about 12/13 upwards although it's a bit more geared towards females I think.
I loved the twist that meant Katniss had to go back into the arena and the ending left me excited for the third book.

Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect travelling read, 26 Mar 2014
I really like the first and second hunger games books so buying the third was a bit of a no brainer.
I read it in a day when travelling/flying and hanging around the airport. Such an easy writing style to read and easy to pick up and put down so great for travelling because it's a good story but you don't have to concentrate too much meaning you can be interrupted by check in etc without a problem.
The story was great as always and I liked that it was different from the first two books in that it didn't focus on the hunger games.
Can't wait for the film too!

Veho 360 Rechargeable Pop Up Speaker For All iPods and MP3 Players
Veho 360 Rechargeable Pop Up Speaker For All iPods and MP3 Players
Offered by Refresh Cartridges
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 26 Mar 2014
I bought this speaker a while ago to take on a trip abroad where I wouldn't have a laptop to play music from. Really small and compact which is great and you can actually get a pretty decent level of volume. Connects perfectly to my ipod. Only problem is that it's now broken after not much use. Not sure if it got damaged somehow or if the quality of the battery isn't great. It was fully charged and then only played for about 20 minutes before refusing to work again!

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected., 26 Mar 2014
I wasn't sure about this book and bought it because it was on offer so wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been too great but I actually loved it.

I found the plot really interesting and it kept me guessing right till the end, and I really warmed to Cormoran as a character.
The plot follows Cormoran, a struggling private detective who is asked to investigate the death of a supermodel who died in suspicious circumstances. The process of how Cormoran pieces the events of the death together is really well written and I honestly didn't realise what had actually happened right up until the end of the book, which is quite rare, I'm usually pretty good at guessing the ending!

I loved all the characters you get to meet throughout the book as Cormoran interviews different people and finds out their story. The sub stories going on in the background made sure that the book didn't get too detectivey and meant there were still some lighthearted funnier moments.

Would definitely read a sequel to this if one is written!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4