Profile for Lorenzo Spagna > Reviews

Content by Lorenzo Spagna

Lorenzo Spagna (Guastalla (RE), Italy)

Search Inside Yourself: The Secret to Unbreakable Concentration, Complete Relaxation and Effortless Self-Control
by Daniel Goleman
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars I would have wanted to give it six stars, 5 Jan 2014
I think Chade has managed to coalesce into a single and "easy" book the teachings and best practices of many important teachers and authors who have been working out the subject of mindfulness over the last four decades (Kabat Zinn, Allan Wallace, just to mention a couple) . Chade's merit is to have come up with a very practical and effective work explaining all the steps taking a person with no previous knowledge and experience of this subject to a full awareness of what mindfulness means and the benefits deriving from meditation, concentrating the explanations on the applicable effects to daily life. I would have wanted to give it six stars!

The Age of the Unthinkable
The Age of the Unthinkable
by Joshua Ramo
Price: 10.75

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting and insightful reading, 2 Jan 2014
I read this book in a weekend and I have put it among my reference readings: rarely I have found a book so full of food for thought literally. The author challenges the reader through provoking the "standard" mindset we use to see reality and solve issues. Very inspiring! I hope that politicians all over the world may have a look at it, since every page contains a gem. I appreciated, in particular, the analysis of the Hezbollah tactics and skills as a powerful example of a resilient and adaptive system.
I recommend to all those who are looking for a new way of considering old but unsolved problems and bracing themselves for the future.

The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler
The Dark Charisma of Adolf Hitler
by Laurence Rees
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars hopefully, not the samy history repeating, 25 Dec 2013
What strikes me most of this analysis is the fact that it seems to tell the story of what is happening now in Italy... In Italy, as in other countries of Southern Europe in particular, we have completely lost faith in our "traditional" political parties and we are seeking for someone able to solve the situation... I already see on the italian political scene some figures considered by a lot of people as endowed with a particular charisma: I only hope that, despite their incredible success so far, the end of the story be not the same as happened in Germany eighty years ago.
Book very well written and rich of original testimony from a lot of different sources/people. I recommend it to all interested in understanding not only those times but ours!

Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus Cased with Online
Longman Collocations Dictionary and Thesaurus Cased with Online
Price: 48.35

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent but it lacks a DVD, 27 April 2013
I would have given it 5 stars (it deserves them all as a reference book that may be read with as so much pleasure as a novel), but I do not like the fact that no DVD has been included. I must say, however, that Longman has made another wonderful dictionary!

Introductory Russian Grammar
Introductory Russian Grammar
by Stilman Leon

5.0 out of 5 stars not only a very detailed grammar, 26 Dec 2012
After hesitating some time before writing this review, eventually I've come to the following conclusion: it's a real pity that this book has not been developed further since it is a real breakthrough. I have many books on the Russian language but none of them is comparable to that as to the richness of information and the plain explanations one finds in it. Particularly impressive is how the authors deal with the subject of the verbs of motion: thanks to them, I've finally grasped the essential understanding behind the whole thing. Another subject clearly treated is that concerning the prepositions and their use with the verbs of motion. Many drills and basic language patterns are included as well.
To me, this book can substitute all other textbook on this language, providing a solid knowledge of grammar and of all the main used patterns both in written and oral language.

A Journey
A Journey
by Tony Blair
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars a practical treatise on political leadership, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Journey (Hardcover)
One of the best (auto)biographies I have ever read, since it is at the same time a compendium of lessons learnt about political leadership and a vivid explanation of how the things went. It is really worth reading and reflecting on many pages. I would have given it 6 stars!

Winning at New Products: Creating Value Through Innovation
Winning at New Products: Creating Value Through Innovation
by Robert G. Cooper
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars no more secrets in Stage&Gate process, 29 Sep 2011
I was looking for anything that could help me improve my knowledge about new product development process when I stumbled on this book: fantastic chance. In comparison with other "theoretical" books on product development, this gives you what expected: a clear process with detailed description of every stage and gate. Very well written and ready-to-implement models: in particular, stages 2 (building a business case) and 3 (development) are described in details with a lot of helpful hints.

Walt Disney's Classic Storybook (Storybook Collection)
Walt Disney's Classic Storybook (Storybook Collection)
by Various
Price: 8.86

5.0 out of 5 stars simply fantastic, 5 Dec 2010
I bought this book two years ago for reading it to my child and since then I read it many and many times as it were the first time because of its beatiful stories and plain language. I could not help but recommend it.

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Cased and DVD-ROM Pack
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Cased and DVD-ROM Pack
by Longman
Price: 38.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The best on the market, 14 Jun 2009
I have bought a lot of English dictionaries over the past years (Cambridge, Macmillan, Oxford, Collins, and the former Logman edition included) in order to improve my English and stay updated but I have always felt that something was missing. This time is not the case: the authors have released a very powerful linguistic tool, that makes you confident in every circumstance. The cd is fantastic with a lot of useful stuff inside (language activator, exercises, grammar, corpus, etc.) and not only the entries, but also plenty of example sentences are spoken!
I think that this is by far the best English dictionary for advanced students of this beautiful language, at a very nice price. Thank you Longman!