Profile for Paduan > Reviews

Content by Paduan

Paduan "Paduan" (East Anglia)

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money., 4 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
Capable bit of kit at a very good price. A smidgen slow at times but nothing too much to complain about. Certainly beats having to manage the clunky Xbox interface which was my previous way of accessing Prime Video.

Sams Teach Yourself Android Application Development in 24 Hours (2nd Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself in 24 Hours)
by Lauren Darcey

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable. Looks like a pre-release version., 4 Nov. 2014
Bought this as it's a new up to date book. The cover suggests that the contents are in 'full colour' but this isn't true - everything is in black and white. The book I have received looks like it's been run off a photocopier. The pages are giant and the content is compressed into the centre of the page, making it so small as to be unreadable. The glossy cover is printed only on the front, there's no spine details and the back cover is blank. I really think I've been sent a pre-release approval copy meant for the author or the publisher has got very confused in their manufacturing process.

I can't speak to the quality of the content. I can't read it. Absolutely dreadful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 3:42 PM GMT

Mobee The Magic Charger for The Apple Wireless Magic Mouse
Mobee The Magic Charger for The Apple Wireless Magic Mouse
Offered by piyo shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, still working flawlessly two years later, 15 July 2013
Excellent product - replaces the batteries in the Magic Mouse and comes supplied with a usb inductive charger for when the mouse isn't in use.

I bought mine in July 2011 and it hasn't let me down once, other than when I occasionally forget to charge it, which is nobody's fault but my own. The charging pad is currently connected to a powered USB hub, so it's always on but worked just as well on the Mac, provided the Mac was only sent to sleep at the end of the day rather than actually turned off (which obviously removes the power from the USB port and thus charging doesn't happen, so ignore the bad reviews from people who don't understand this).

After two years the base of the battery insert is just beginning to show signs of wear - just a little bit of scuffing, but that's hardly unexpected, given that the mouse is in use on the computer I use for work every day. Even after this length of time I'm not noticing any discernible reduction in battery life - it still lasts a week or so between charges (I don't charge it up every night, as that would wear the battery out quicker, as with any rechargeable battery).

I don't know whether I've recouped my investment versus the cost of the batteries, but certainly it's been a boon in that it's so much more convenient than suddenly discovering your mouse is dead and you've run out of fresh batteries (or at least freshly charged ones) and having to run to the supermarket to buy some more.

For convenience, longevity (in a high use environment) and a pretty neat design too, I rate this 5 stars out of 5.

Railtrack and Other Letters
Railtrack and Other Letters

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 8 May 2013
I love this book - a collection of letters replying to less than effective lawyers might not seem like god bedtime reading, but this is something else. The author owns a dormant company with a similar name to a now-extinct nationalised industry and has extracted - and now shared - great enjoyment at the expense of people who really REALLY should know how to do their research better. It's not a good idea to attempt to sue a company that isn't the one you mean, and in this instance the author gives as good as he gets. Vicarious pleasure for anyone who wants to stick two fingers - or indeed one malady afflicted vibrating digit - up at pompous 'authority figures' who are in the wrong. I highly recommend this book.

London Underground: Architecture, Design & History
London Underground: Architecture, Design & History
by David Long

3.0 out of 5 stars An informative book but with one big let down., 21 Nov. 2012
I like this book. The level of information is just right and there's a plethora of pictures to enjoy. There is only one major problem with this book: not one of the pictures is captioned, so it's practically impossible to determine where and when many of them were taken. As someone who's interested in Underground architecture, I really wanted that information, so the lack of it is a big let down.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free]
Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Luke Pasqualino

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Gripping. Fantastic., 9 Nov. 2012
It is a crying desperate shame that SyFy decided to pull the plug on BSG-Blood and Chrome as a series after having made, but not yet broadcast, the pilot. On the evidence of watching the first 12 minute extract as a webisode on YouTube (in full HD), they appear to have made a gargantuan mistake. For something that is almost exclusively SFX and CGI driven, the attention to detail and the compositing is absolutely brilliant. But far beyond the amazing special effects, the opening to this prequel story of William Adama's initiation into the first Cylon War is gripping from the start. I cannot understand why SyFy got cold feet: even on just 12 minutes alone, the production is everything that fans of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica were looking for, and then some. Not that Caprica was bad, but this is awesome. This deserves to be in every BSG aficionado's collection.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2013 1:41 AM GMT

Discovering London Railway Stations (Shire Discovering)
Discovering London Railway Stations (Shire Discovering)
by Oliver Green

3.0 out of 5 stars That'll teach me, 25 Oct. 2011
I'm not normally given to leaving reviews, but on this occasion I feel I must. This book is ok for tourists, but I was expecting something a little more detailed. The dimensions of this little book on Amazon aren't accurate - It isn't even the 1cm thick Amazon says it is. I've just measure it: it's 6.5mm, And that's barely a book by my standards: it's more of a pamphlet. As for its contents, a 'touristy' type book should probably have more pictures and the text should probably state some more interesting facts than the 'blatantly obvious' that my look through it has garnered thus far. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wailing and gnashing my teeth - it's not much money to have wasted after all. I just don't think it's quite up to the standard it sets for itself in its write-up. I'm sure it was lovingly put together by somebody who knows his stuff, such as has been been presented here, and as a stocking-filler for someone who has a passing interest in London's railway stations it might just about pass muster in terms of the book itself, but I really don't feel it is worth the money, even at the discounted price of £4.90 I paid. It's more of a £2.99 book at best. And it pains me to say so.

Taizť Chant
Taizť Chant

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sublime - beauty beyond words, 21 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Taizť Chant (Audio CD)
If I had to choose two words to sum up this album I would choose "Achingly beautiful". If you need spiritual music to aid prayerful meditation then this is it. Peaceful, sublime, relaxing, prayerful, rich in spirituality, this music in the spirit of Taizé is some of the best you can buy.

Lost City
Lost City
by Clive Cussler

1.0 out of 5 stars One dimensional with an F-rated plot, 31 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Lost City (Hardcover)
I'm sure I've seen this book as a film... you know the sort: films made to fill a spare 90 minutes in the dead of night on the Sci Fi channel. The sort of film that never sees a cinema release and goes straight to video. Special effects made of plasticine and here's-something-I-made-earlier.
The characters are so one-dimensional and the plot so ridiculous I am surprised I managed to make it to the end of the book. All the kitsch elements are there: elixirs, mutant flesh-eating zombies, caverns, fighter-aces and derring-do. The trouple is, it's all woven into a totally daft, competely unrealistic, hopelessly fantastical plot.
Cussler can't even get the model name of one of Citroen's most seminal cars right. It's a 2C*V*, not a 2C! D'oh!
Don't waste your time on this rubbish.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2014 11:55 AM BST