Profile for Susie Percival > Reviews

Susie Percival

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Green/White, Small
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Green/White, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars GPS, GPS, GPS!, 16 July 2013
Having read countless reviews on the different GPS watches out there for beginners (without a heart monitor), this is the one I kept coming back to, and subsequently purchased when it dropped to around £84. My definition of a beginner is someone who hasn't long started running but simply wants to keep a track of time and distance (plus a few other stats for good measure) both on a watch and online, and doesn't need a heart monitor.

I was using the Nike+ app on a phone, which is great, but drains the battery and it's nigh on impossible to read the screen through an armband, and I like to keep an eye on my pace just so I can push a little bit harder if I want to.

Pro's
It's a good size (one of the smallest) out there
It's waterproof
It's very accurate distance-wise
It's very easy to start/set up and use - just push the run button, wait (and wait....and wait...and wait) for the GPS to connect, then off you go

There are three scrolling screens you can personalise to use whilst running, to get to them you press the bottom right button. On the main screen I have time and distance, so I can tell my pace - it's easy to do the maths at quarter-mile increments to see if you're on for a good mile or not, and if you're going longer distances the watch beeps every mile and flashes the time for that mile for a few seconds. There is also a virtual pacer, which I haven't used yet, but it looks super simple to use - tell it how fast you want to do a mile (or KM if the watch is set to metric) and it will beep if you're ahead or behind. Great for those who struggle to pace properly.

The only dislike, which is why I have only given the watch 4 stars, is, like all the other reviews, the GPS connection. I put the watch in the same place every day to connect for a run. Some days it connects within seconds, but on others it can take up to 5 minutes - which is really annoying when I get up at 6.00am to get a run in before work, as every minute counts at that time of the morning! To get around it I now put the watch onto search for GPS then put my trainers on, get my key ready, etc. But you can't just go off for 10mins and leave it because after a certain amount of 'inactivity' (I haven't taken much notice of how long yet, it's probably in the instructions), it will power down meaning you have to start again!

One thing I wasn't sure about when considering having a running watch at all, was that on my phone I was using the Nike+ app, which I wanted to continue with as I had already accumulated quite a few runs on it, and I have friends who also use it so it pushes me to go that bit further, or faster! The Garmin connect website is OK, a bit technical/formal-looking for my liking but it has some interesting analysis on it. However, I found a website which will convert the Garmin data over to Nike+ which is quick and easy to do, so win-win all round really.

I would recommend it, I've not used it for long but I love it!