Profile for Amanda Hyatt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Quiller: The Kobra Manifesto
Quiller: The Kobra Manifesto

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing less than expected, 7 May 2014
Wonderfully drawn characters, constant forward motion, suspense masterfully drawn out and enough description to make even the reader feel knowledgeable. Another speedy and unputdownable read

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
by Scott Jurek

5.0 out of 5 stars Persuasive, motivational, non-preachy, inspirational, 21 Sep 2012
Well, apart from making my own ultra-running efforts seem equivocal to a jog to the bus-stop, I have to stress that you don't need to be an ultra-runner to enjoy this book. The writing engages, inspires, it's easy to read and wonderful to feel raw passion (no pun intended) leaping out of the pages without arrogance, preaching or indeed any inkling of being better than or above anyone else. The glimpse that the chapters give of the drive and determination behind Mr Jurek's success is enough to inspire anybody to clamber off the couch and do something more than you did yesterday! Bravo! - This is a wonderful read, a fascinating keyhole view into your personal world and I firmly believe that you could probably convince the King of the Jungle to go vegan - even if just for a week!

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars No indication that it was in GERMAN!!, 1 April 2011
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
Another reviewer got a 'Kindle' German version. I simply bought the book and got a German version and am really annoyed because there is NO indication anywhere of a language issue! Don't even know if I can be bothered reordering as how am I supposed to know what version I'm going to get? Luck of the draw? Been recommended this book from several sources and looking forward to reading it, but the sellers need to get this sorted!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 5:58 PM GMT

A Mother's Love: Stories of Fun, Forgiveness, Hope and Joy
A Mother's Love: Stories of Fun, Forgiveness, Hope and Joy
by Tanith Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars most beautiful gift, 3 Feb 2009
I showed my copy of this book to several people and got the same absolutely instant reaction - What a beautiful book, especially for a new mum! This was my reaction, too. Without being pink and fluffy, this little book is packed with anecdotes and snippets of truth and wisdom, courage, love and - most of all - honesty! It's about real people with real things to say - but refreshingly unsappy. There's no 'getting-in-touch-with-your-feelings' sort of rubbish, no psycho-babble, none of the usual writing that makes you go 'Eugh!' Instead, it's a very special book full of wonderful snippets of perspectives on life from a mother's point of view. Guaranteed to make you smile - and guaranteed a place at the front of every mother's bookshelf. Don't let this one pass you by.

You're a Bad Man, Mr. Gum!
You're a Bad Man, Mr. Gum!
by Andy Stanton

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to read more - and I'm the PARENT!, 17 Jan 2009
Just brilliant. If this doesn't get a child interested in reading, I don't know what will. Full of fun, frolics, surprises, silliness, tricks and treats, every page is a joy because you really don't know what Andy Stanton is going to think up to do on the following one! I've enjoyed reading this so much that if my kids don't want the other books, I think I'll just have to buy them for myself! I've laughed out loud at so much of this writing. This really is a masterclass in how to write for children. Fab. Fab. Fab.

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
by Judy Blume

5.0 out of 5 stars Every teenage girl should have a copy, 7 Aug 2008
This has to be the best 'find' of 2008 for me (or, more precisely, for my daughter). Blume has successfully tapped into the teenage coming-of-age mind and tackled so many feelings of inadequacy, humiliation, insecurity, loneliness, fear ... This is a really clever book that every young teenager will be able to get something from. There are so many answers there - to questions that the young teenager might not want to ask - or to things that they haven't even realised are problems. My daughter hasn't stopped talking about this book and how much she got out of it. One of those gems ...

Story Wizard (PC)
Story Wizard (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Story Wizard (PC) (CD-ROM)
My kids love writing and I bought this mainly for them. They do pretty well on their own but this piece of software simply helped a bit with the organisation. Extremely simple to use, you certainly don't have to be a brain surgeon to use it. It's effective, well laid out and has just enough to allow a young storyteller sort out his/her thoughts into a more organised fashion and set them out presentably on paper. Most of the software around these days is for writing novels so it was ideal to find this, specifically designed for shorter stories. As a writer myself, I've found this extremely useful, too, for writing chapter books and brainstorming new ideas. Would thoroughly recommend it to encourage more kids to write.

Crisis
Crisis
by Robin Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better ones, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Crisis (Paperback)
I'm really surprised that people didn't like this one so much. I've just finished it and honestly thought it was one of the better ones. Concentrating more on Jack Stapleton than on Laurie, this book kept pace really well. I think there were times when perhaps it might have come across as the author's bid to get in some views on concierge medicine, but there certainly wasn't any info-dumping. Characters were strong throughout and the whole tone and pace of the book very consistent. As always, a great story well told. Perfect bedtime reading for those who, like me, can't get their brains around anything too deep and meaningful after 8 o'clock in the evening. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) How to Optimize Your Website for Internet Search Engines (Google, Yahoo!, MSN Live, AOL, Ask, AltaVista, Fast, GigaBlast, Snap, LookSmart and Others)
by Samuel Blankson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 July 2008
Here's a book that delivers exactly what it says it's going to deliver. From the very first paragraph the author inspires confidence in the reader with a natural ease of style and tone. But no-one should be fooled by the naturally informal language used throughout. As somebody very new to setting up websites and marketing products on the web I have to say that this book was pure magic. I came away feeling confident and self-assured; that I knew exactly where I needed to go and what I needed to do. I have a notebook packed full of ideas and suggestions which will take me some time to implement one by one, and perhaps most importantly of all I actually feel quite knowledgeable on the subject or, at least, knowledgeable enough to feel I'm now heading in the right direction and am willing to `take on the world'!
The chapters are broken down into clearly-defined sections, making it a book ideal to `dip into' - regardless of whether you are new to this `game' (like me) - or a seasoned pro looking for a new perspective or a few key tips. Neither has the author held back on any information-sharing. Both body and appendices are packed with valuable links to other sites and I certainly got the feeling that whatever the question this book would be the source of my answer - or a link to my answer!
What more can I say? From a newbie standpoint I honestly can't see myself needing to look any further for the information I need to optimize my website, advertise and market my products. Bravo!

Guide to IT Contracting, The
Guide to IT Contracting, The
by Samuel Blankson

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know, 30 Jun 2008
Whether you're new to the business of contracting or simply looking for a new angle or ideas to keep you heading in the right direction, this book has a little of everything. In fact, quite a lot of everything. There are so many books around and I took a risk on this one. I was definitely not disappointed. Coverage of the very basics is extensive, in-depth and, most importantly of all, accessible. Particularly impressive is the coverage of areas where most other books sadly fall short - writing up that all-important CV (including a brush-up on correct language-usage and grammar) and a serious look at interview techniques and style.

The style of writing is clear, concise and easy to read but this is by no means synonymous with light-weight material. It is packed with facts and tips, common sense and suggestions. And if you're getting tired of the factual part, you can always take a leap to Section 4 of the book, which addresses the all-important issue of mindset and attitude - an area where many of today's employees definitely fall down. Personally, I found this a fascinating read - not only in terms of adjusting my own mindset, but in understanding relationships with other contractors, which in turn could only improve my chances of success.

No waffle, no excessive padding, no `heard-it-all-before' nonsense here. I would readily recommend this to anyone. It does what it says and delivers what it promises. This is a book of already well-thumbed pages that will stay front-of-shelf for a long time to come.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3