Profile for Oliver Hunter > Reviews

Content by Oliver Hunter

Oliver Hunter (Towcester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Smiffys Tales Of Old England Monocle On Cord (Black)
Smiffys Tales Of Old England Monocle On Cord (Black)
Offered by GreatDeals4you
Price: 1.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Very cheap not so cheerful, 12 Jun 2014
This item is very cheap so I expected it to be quite basic. The monocle is actually quite large, so difficult to hold in place with your eyebrow/cheek. The cheap plastic lens came out a few times whilst handling/using. OK for a one-off, if you're going to use it more than once I'd look for a more expensive item.

Deluxe Sailors Captain Hat Nautical Navy Pilot Fancy Dress
Deluxe Sailors Captain Hat Nautical Navy Pilot Fancy Dress
Offered by One Click Wonder
Price: 5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novelty item, 12 Jun 2014
Lightweight, cheap and flimsy but looks impressive and more expensive than it is. Very good value for money, would recommend.

Ups and downs of a sailor,
Ups and downs of a sailor,
by James Edward Hunter
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars The life of the "Father of the Royal Navy", 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Ups and downs of a sailor,
This is a very interesting, if justifiably pompous and self-indulgent, autobiography of the life of my Great Great Grandfather, Captain James Edward Hunter, who was known as the "Father of the Royal Navy", or "Teddy". It offers an insight into the life and times of a cocksure sailor in the 19th Century, contains some good pictures from the time, and is of great historical interest to the Hunter family. As well as extolling his greatness at dancing the hornpipe, shooting and boxing, he tells of the time he turned around a filthy ship with a mutinous crew, dealt with an outbreak of smallpox, nearly lost his leg during a bout of Crimean fever, saved 47 lives in the "Balaclava Gale", was the first man into Sebastopol, helped defeat the Japanese at Kagoshima and later liberated 74 heavy guns from them. He also met Queen Victoria.

BDBikesTM Folding Bicycle Repair and Maintenance Stand - Bike or Cycle
BDBikesTM Folding Bicycle Repair and Maintenance Stand - Bike or Cycle
Offered by Black Dog Bikes
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and fast delivery, 17 May 2013
Excellent product - top quality materials, solid & secure in use. Easy and quick to assemble and adjust (using the quick release clamps). Came with next-day delivery, which required a signature (not mentioned until check out complete!) so bear that in mind when choosing a delivery address. I have no hesitation in recommending this product, especially for the comparatively low cost.

Mirror Paper CD/DVD Sleeves (100 Pack)
Mirror Paper CD/DVD Sleeves (100 Pack)
Offered by Refresh Cartridges
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A budget but quality product, 17 Jan 2011
At the price, I was a little concerned that these paper sleeves would be poor quality. Thankfully I needn't have worried as the quality is very good; one would certainly be hard-pushed to better quality at the price. With fast delivery too I have no complaints about the product or the supplier and will definitely purchase again when I run out.

dGadget HTC Desire Desktop Holder Dock Cradle ....USB Powered....Charge and Sync

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable stand for the money, 3 Aug 2010
I have to agree with S. Cross that you "get what you pay for", though if I had received mine in the state he describes his as being in, I would have returned it for replacement or refund!

The item is indeed fairly basic, having been cheaply made in Taiwan, and is supplied in two parts: a universal base and a custom cradle for the HTC Desire that clips on. As mentioned in other reviews it is incorrectly advertised (seller change description please!) as it is not a true 'dock' - you do have to manually plug the charging cable in. However, a short (1m) charging/data cable is supplied and does charge and/or act as a data synch cable as described.

The dock/stand issue out of the way there are a couple of problems highlighted by the other reviewers:

1) Connecting/removing the cradle.
Contrary to what Oya reports, although it is tight, it is possible to connect the supplied USB cable to the phone whilst it is in the cradle. However, it is much easier to poke the cable through the hole and connect it to the phone just before sliding the phone fully into the cradle. Slightly fiddly if you have fat fingers perhaps but I have not found this to be a major problem.

2) Stand falling to pieces.
If you are lucky enough to have the use of both hands then simply hold the cradle with one hand and remove the phone with the other (after discnoneting the cable). If not, or you want to make your life easier, use a couple of drops of glue to permanently secure the cradle to the stand, which will eliminate this problem. Simple.

On the plus side, the viewing angle is good (better than others I have seen), it holds the phone securely, is sufficiently weighty that it won't be easily knocked over, and looks good (though that is obviously a matter of personal opinion).

At the end of the day there are several differently designed docks/stands available for the Desire at a range of prices, with this one being towards the lower end of the scale. I tried a true 'dock' from the lowest end of the price range from eBay, which was delivered damaged, didn't have enough angle on the display for comfortable viewing, didn't seat the phone properly (putting stress on the usb port) and whose USB cable would only charge the phone (despite being purported as a data sync cable). I returned it for full refund.

Bearing in mind the pros/cons and caveats above, I think that this product offers a reasonable solution for the price. If you want a professional all-singing all-dancing dock, then you are probably going to need to pay more than double what this one costs. You pay your money and make your choice. Read the reviews and take note as "forewarned is forearmed". That's enough cliches for now. :)

Turn The Water On, Boy!
Turn The Water On, Boy!
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 10.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluegrass rocks!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: Turn The Water On, Boy! (Audio CD)
An excellent "Alt-Bluegrass" album (their self-styled genre) by a sadly underrated US band (located in the UK) fronted by ex-The Long Ryders' Sid Griffin. Think Hayseed Dixie without the covers (apart from Gene Clark's "Silver Raven") and a bit less country. Oh, and they're serious, though there is a lot of fun to be had on this offering. There's also a lot of uplifting melodies, intelligent lyrics, beautiful layered harmonies and some fantastic banjo additions by England's own Matt Woolvett. Well worth 10.98 of anyone's money, even if this genre isn't your normal choice of listening.

Ridisc CD-R 52x Lightscribe version 1.2 (50 Pack)
Ridisc CD-R 52x Lightscribe version 1.2 (50 Pack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault this item, 16 Mar 2009
I bought this 50-pack of discs after I bought a new PC with a lightscribe drive. They are excellent and easy to use - after (or before!) burning a CD flip it over and use the free software (from the Lightscribe website) to burn a design on to the disc. These ones are a nice gold colour though other colours are available. I've burned text and images on the discs and they both look great though I'd recommend you turn on the 'darker burn' setting if you have it to increase the contrast. I'd have no hesitation in recommending these discs to anyone with a Lightscribe drive.

Boarding Party: The Last Action of the Calcutta Light Horse.
Boarding Party: The Last Action of the Calcutta Light Horse.
by James Leasor

4.0 out of 5 stars Closer to the truth than many war 'stories', 10 Nov 2008
This is an enjoyable book about an operation to scupper a German boat in Goa harbour in 1943. My grandfather was in the attack party, recruited as their explosives expert. Here is his description of the events:

"While at the Khadakvasla camp I was asked to join a proposed expedition to the then neutral port of Goa on the West Coast of India. The scheme had been hatched by two senior officers of S.O.E. to capture an almost new German liner that had been sheltering in Goa harbour since 1939, and the plan was for a party of irregulars from Calcutta with one or two S.O.E. officers to carry out the mission. The irregulars were, if my memory serves me right, Calcutta Scottish a sort of Territorial Army Unit. They were mostly in the Jute industry. So we sailed in a dredger from Cochin as I remember. We practised chasing around in the dark and on the night of our attack we slung nets on grappling irons on to the deck of the German ship and climbed up them. I was loaded with an explosive charge to slap on to a steel door which we knew would be sealed against us. We had hardly got on board when there was a muffled bang in the depths of the ship; one of the crew had scuttled it and down we went until we settled on the bottom of the harbour. When the retreat or return to our ship was sounded we found that we once more had to climb up the netting as our boat was standing higher in the water than the German ship.

"So back I went to Khadakvasla after what had seemed to me to have been a fiasco, although a different slant was put on to the affair by a book and then a film featuring Gregory Peck and David Niven and several others. As far as I can remember we came away with two German sailors who later helped our instructors by making model German aircraft etc."

Not quite as glamorous as the book (or the later film "The Sea Wolves") make out, but it's a good story nonetheless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2009 9:20 AM GMT

Sea Wolves [DVD] [1980] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Sea Wolves [DVD] [1980] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gregory Peck

4.0 out of 5 stars A little closer to the truth than most war films, 10 Nov 2008
This is an enjoyable film (based on the book "Boarding Party" by James Leasor) about an operation to scupper a German boat in Goa harbour in 1943. My grandfather was in the attack party, recruited as their explosives expert. Here is his description of the events:

Not quite as glamorous as the film (or book) make out, but it's a good story and watchable film nonetheless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 3:45 PM BST