Profile for maruskag > Reviews

Fäviken
Fäviken
by Magnus Nilsson

4.0 out of 5 stars Editor on holidays?, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Although I will probably never attempt to cook any recipe from the book - all are elaborated and difficult to execute - I could not put the book down and read it at one go. It did change the way I look at food in general and I re-discovered some of the techniques my grandma taught me. I think this is the book's key attraction: its ability to bring back the memories perhaps from very long time ago through his recipes. Being vegetarian for the past 20 years, I promise it never occurred to me to pick and cook "autumn leaves from last winter". The long walks in a wet forest in autumn when I was a child immediately sprang to mind, I could almost smell the dish (that also featured freshly picked and sauteed mushrooms. And no, I will not be cooking this any time soon!)
What I was not impressed by, was the overall editing job on this otherwise beautiful book. It appears there was no editor or s/he was clearly on vacation when this book went to press. Occasional wrong spelling, bad grammar, nonsensical sentence really does not do a justice to a chef obsessed with perfection of his meals. He would deserve an editor with a similar attitude to his/her work - what a gem this book would be!