Profile for P. Blunsden > Reviews

Content by P. Blunsden

P. Blunsden (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)
Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars No victory is worth this carnage, 16 Nov 2014
I was born in the second world war and my father was a serving soldier until I was around 17. Brought up on stories of things which had occurred during the war, I was aware of what had happened in Dresden, but not to this degree. I was always given the impression this happened in retaliation for the enemy raid on Coventry. This is a horrifying story of civilians being slaughtered in the search for peace. They more likely died a terrible death for nothing, I doubt that it hastened anything resembling peace.

Not My Father's Son: A Family Memoir
Not My Father's Son: A Family Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars From the chains of abuse to freedom!, 14 Nov 2014
This book is a 'must read'! It starts darkly and keeps going back in time to when Alan Cummingwas a boy in Scotland and telling of his relationship with his abusive father, and then going forward again to happier days. His search to find an explanation for the death of his Grandfather, who he never knew, how he coped with the newfound knowledge of that explanation, and the happy end to the whole story will make you glad you read the book!

The Secrets of Carriage H  (Kindle Single)
The Secrets of Carriage H (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just go to show, 30 Oct 2014
That surviving an accident is just the beginning of a long road to recovery. The author's honest account of the mental aftermath of the train accident he was involved in will make you ask yourself why this book is not considered essential reading for all those working or living with those who have suffered a devastating event, no matter how major or minor the injuries. An understanding of the mental trauma involved and how to deal with it would surely help all concerned - from the sufferer himself, to the professionals caring for him, those living with him, and to those working with him. A very interesting book written in a very readable way. I wish the author well.

Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography
Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 25 Oct 2014
When I first started to read this book I thought it was going to be yet another book about how wonderful the writer was and is, and how they had known from a very early age they were destined for great things. Paul Merton's book is nothing like that. It's an interesting read about his childhood and his struggle to become the man he is now. Nothing is hidden from the reader, including his failed first marriage, the sad death of his second wife, and his happiness with his third. He also doesn't hide the fact that he spent some time in a psychiatric unit. Many people in his position would feel they'd want to hide that in case it might harm their reputation, but Paul talks about it with great honesty and clarity. As you'd expect from such a great comedian the story is interspersed with great humour, all done at exactly the right time. This book was a joy to read, I didn't want it to finish.

The Stolen Dog
The Stolen Dog

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Stolen Dog (Kindle Edition)
I don't often read books about lost animals as the ending is usually too sad to read through tears, but this book is very different! As the story gathers pace throughout the search you get caught up in what's going on and the book becomes more and more difficult to put down. Thankfully Briggs is found, and another little dog is rescued during the story. Anyone searching for their own missing pet should read this book and keep the faith!

The Men Who Stare At Goats
The Men Who Stare At Goats

5.0 out of 5 stars Scares the life out of me, 17 Sep 2014
At the beginning of this book I thought it was crazy, funny and unbelievable. I had to stop reading at times as the book went on as the contents were becoming just a bit too weird to take in. I always thought physical torture must be the hardest thing to bear, but now I realise that there are many evil ways information can be extracted by mental torture, and to know it still goes on and is being done by the 'educated' West makes you wonder about the sanity of those using it as much as the mental state of those being broken by it.

Helly Hansen Aden Waterproof Jacket Ladies EssentialPurple 14 (L)
Helly Hansen Aden Waterproof Jacket Ladies EssentialPurple 14 (L)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value, 30 Jun 2014
Light but very warm, and am very pleased with this jacket. Good for walking the dog on a wet and windy beach! The service I received was good too. I had to exchange it for a larger size (my own fault, nothing to do with the sizing) and it was easily done, quick and efficient.

Caledonia
Caledonia

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamily sung, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Caledonia (MP3 Download)
Very sweetly sung in a dreamy kind of way. A change from the usual version of the song. The background music is very nice too - my only gripe is that it over-shadows the singer a bit and her words are sometimes difficult to hear. I still love this edition of the song and it's hard to get it out of your head once you've listened to it a couple of times!

A Cat in the Window: Tales from a Cornish Flower Farm (Minack Chronicles)
A Cat in the Window: Tales from a Cornish Flower Farm (Minack Chronicles)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cat book of all time, 20 Jun 2014
The story of Monty - just an ordinary cat, you might think, but one who is brought to beautiful furry life by Derek Tangye, who in the first place did not want him but rapidly came to love him. Just like millions of readers all over the world who come to love him too when reading this book. I didn't want to get to the end of the book as l didn't want to read about the inevitable end of Monty, but like everything else there is a beginning and an end. He was a beautiful and much loved cat, he had a happy and good life. So many animals aren't so lucky.

Rubies Batman Brave Child (Small)
Rubies Batman Brave Child (Small)
Offered by Fancy Dress Discount Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 May 2014
I bought this item at the last minute for my Granddaughter's fourth birthday and was a bit worried it wouldn't arrive in time or would be too big according to other reviews. It arrived the day after ordering and asked my son to let me know quickly if I needed to return it. I needn't have worried! She was up with the lark on her birthday before the rest of the family were awake, dressed herself in the suit, and nearly gave my son a heart attack when he woke up to see the wee masked face not far away from his! The suit stayed on until she went to bed! What a happy buy this was!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5