Profile for P. Blunsden > Reviews

De Vielle DEF973024 Hot & Cold Fireplace Ash Carrier
De Vielle DEF973024 Hot & Cold Fireplace Ash Carrier
Offered by This Is It Famous Value Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Really glad somebody told me about these!, 6 April 2015
I'd never heard of these until a neighbour told me about them. Bought one and am very glad I no longer have to carry a shovel full of burning ashes through the house - and get a face-full whenever I go outside with it.

Spigen Slim Armor Cover Case for Galaxy Note 4 - Electric Blue
Spigen Slim Armor Cover Case for Galaxy Note 4 - Electric Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this!, 6 April 2015
Brilliant bit of kit. Sturdy and strong. Easy to fit and looks good. Arrived very quickly too!

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner
Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a book!, 22 Feb. 2015
I found thus intriguing, horrifying, sometimes vomit-making, but most of all i found it readable and interesting. What other people do to other people sometimes defies description. Thank goodness there are people like Judy Melinek who are there to attempt to discover the truth about the often violent end of many people who otherwise would have died without a name, or without any kind of indication of what happened to them. Steel yourself for the aftermath of 9 11, that chapter is particularly heartrending.

Into the Wild
Into the Wild

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and readable, 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Into the Wild (Kindle Edition)
This book was hard to put down. I'd delayed reading it for some time - it was a spur of the moment purchase and on reflection hadn't thought much of my choice. But after reading the first few sentences I was totally hooked. I know nothing about the geography of Alaska, even less about mountain climbing and survival in the wilderness, but, even so, the author takes you where he wants you to go and makes you believe you're there.

The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers
The Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cruel and unbelievable world we lived in, 13 Dec. 2014
I've read so many fictional stories about the treatment in the past of unmarried mothers, so when you read another, even though you are told it's true, you think to yourself 'here we go again, another unbelievable horror story with a sad ending'. But, even though there are very sad moments in Angela's story, and some of it is very hard to read because of what you know is coming, you hope against hope that the story is not all about loss and that there is some joy in the end. Thank goodness there is, although there are some gliches on the way. An interesting and good read, I recommend this book.

Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime (Wellcome)
Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime (Wellcome)

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, informative, brilliant!, 4 Dec. 2014
I heard some of this book serialised on radio 4 and wanted to read it all. Such an interesting read - taking in murders of long ago and recent times, and showing how crimes have become so much easier to detect and solve with technology advancing daily.

Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)
Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars No victory is worth this carnage, 16 Nov. 2014
I was born in the second world war and my father was a serving soldier until I was around 17. Brought up on stories of things which had occurred during the war, I was aware of what had happened in Dresden, but not to this degree. I was always given the impression this happened in retaliation for the enemy raid on Coventry. This is a horrifying story of civilians being slaughtered in the search for peace. They more likely died a terrible death for nothing, I doubt that it hastened anything resembling peace.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2015 5:29 PM GMT

Not My Father's Son: A Family Memoir
Not My Father's Son: A Family Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars From the chains of abuse to freedom!, 14 Nov. 2014
This book is a 'must read'! It starts darkly and keeps going back in time to when Alan Cummingwas a boy in Scotland and telling of his relationship with his abusive father, and then going forward again to happier days. His search to find an explanation for the death of his Grandfather, who he never knew, how he coped with the newfound knowledge of that explanation, and the happy end to the whole story will make you glad you read the book!

The Secrets of Carriage H  (Kindle Single)
The Secrets of Carriage H (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just go to show, 30 Oct. 2014
That surviving an accident is just the beginning of a long road to recovery. The author's honest account of the mental aftermath of the train accident he was involved in will make you ask yourself why this book is not considered essential reading for all those working or living with those who have suffered a devastating event, no matter how major or minor the injuries. An understanding of the mental trauma involved and how to deal with it would surely help all concerned - from the sufferer himself, to the professionals caring for him, those living with him, and to those working with him. A very interesting book written in a very readable way. I wish the author well.

Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography
Only When I Laugh: My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 25 Oct. 2014
When I first started to read this book I thought it was going to be yet another book about how wonderful the writer was and is, and how they had known from a very early age they were destined for great things. Paul Merton's book is nothing like that. It's an interesting read about his childhood and his struggle to become the man he is now. Nothing is hidden from the reader, including his failed first marriage, the sad death of his second wife, and his happiness with his third. He also doesn't hide the fact that he spent some time in a psychiatric unit. Many people in his position would feel they'd want to hide that in case it might harm their reputation, but Paul talks about it with great honesty and clarity. As you'd expect from such a great comedian the story is interspersed with great humour, all done at exactly the right time. This book was a joy to read, I didn't want it to finish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6