Profile for Morven > Reviews

Morven

Regeneration (Regeneration Trilogy)
Regeneration (Regeneration Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 - not the trilogy, 9 Sep 2014
Have just finished this first novel in the 'Regeneration' trilogy. It's a moving and at times horrific account of the effects that WW1 had on the lives on individuals, notably the great war poets Sassoon and Owen.
I downloaded this version for my Kindle thinking I was getting a bargain at £2 for the trilogy, and as a result I was resigned to putting up with the (at times) rather shoddy editing - which can be disconcerting at times because in some instances it does affect the meaning. Anyhow, I did feel a bit cheated when I reached the end and was searching for the next in the series. My fault entirely as I probably didn't read the blurb properly, but had I realised I was only buying one book I'd have looked at the other versions available.

The Cement Garden (Vintage Blue)
The Cement Garden (Vintage Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark and disturbing tale, 16 April 2014
This is a story which some readers might find deeply disturbing - but it is fiction. The characters are well crafted and the plot develops gradually with the sense of inevitability which seems to be a feature of McEwan's style. If you've read and enjoyed The Innocent by the same author I think you'll enjoy this.

Fitflop Womens Due Leather Ballet Flats 246-264 Rouge 5 UK, 38 EU
Fitflop Womens Due Leather Ballet Flats 246-264 Rouge 5 UK, 38 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 11 Jan 2014
I was looking at these on the Fitflop website and they were quite pricey, even in the sale. Looked on Amazon and even adding the postage charges they were much cheaper here. I bought the size 5 and they're a little bit big but I reckon that in the warmer weather I'll be glad of a more generous fit.

The Mermaids Singing
The Mermaids Singing

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!, 1 Dec 2013
I can only assume that when she wrote this it was when she was practising writing crime fiction and that she's a lot more skilled now. The dialogue was clichéd and stilted, the characters were unconvincing and the plot was ridiculously far-fetched.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard

5.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Kindle Edition)
From the outset, this is intriguing. Difficult to put down as you are compelled to see how the situation develops.

ENDEX
ENDEX

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good story, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: ENDEX (Kindle Edition)
Initially, I thought this wasn't for me - the opening section suggested it was going to be an army/ boys' own adventure story - but I persevered and am very glad I did! The plot is clever and keeps you guessing till the end; the characters are well- rounded, especially John Ockham with his hard-as-nails exterior but a soft-spot for those who are important to him. And Ross pulls this off without resorting to cliched sentimentality. Throughout, the dialogue is realistic, and (being a 'Wegie') I particularly enjoyed the references to locations in the West of Scotland. It's also very witty. I think this would make a great film. Would like to read more of Oki's exploits!

Flight Behaviour
Flight Behaviour

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising opening..., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Flight Behaviour (Kindle Edition)
Like the other Kingsolver novel I have read I found the opening section quite engaging and intriguing - almost magical - but as the story unfolded I felt it became tedious and the moral message was just a bit too heavy-handed. I felt that the characters were too 2 dimensional and the focus was very much on the environmental issues which it raised at the expense of plot and character development.

Postcards From Penguin: 100 Book Jackets in One Box
Postcards From Penguin: 100 Book Jackets in One Box
by Penguin
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift!, 7 Aug 2013
These postcards are the perfect gift for a book-lover. They can be used as postcards but also would look good framed.

Turban Hair Towel - Girlfriend! Microfibre Hair Towels
Turban Hair Towel - Girlfriend! Microfibre Hair Towels
Offered by Findmeagift

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick!, 2 Jun 2013
Keeps my hair neatly off my face while I get dressed and do my make-up, then as the microfibres have soaked up some of the wetness from my hair it's much faster to blow dry. Win win!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work with a Logik TV!, 23 May 2013
Bought this after reading good reviews for my elderly father who struggles with normal size remote buttons. Would have been great if it had worked (nice big buttons) but I just couldn't get it to work with the TV (Logik)