Profile for avid reader > Reviews

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Kate Morton, what an authoress, 12 Jun 2014
This is the third book by Kate Morton I've read, and loved them all. What an interesting story this was, and an unusual narrative style - an old lady looking back on events at "The Big House" when she was in service there. The characters are well drawn, and their motives - and gradually the dark events and secrets of the House and family are revealed. The interaction of the characters, and their motives, and how their actions impinged on others was very well described. As it progressed I couldn't put it down. I didn't guess the ending. This book definitely had the Wow factor, I must find some more Kate Morton to read

Skullcandy Uprock 2.0 On-Ear Headphones - Blue/Black
Skullcandy Uprock 2.0 On-Ear Headphones - Blue/Black
Price: 20.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Christmas present, 20 Jan 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present for my 10 year old nephew. He tells me they are awesome, and is using them all the time. His Dad is considering getting a pair for himself as they are so good. The tone is apparently excellent - and to please a 10 year old they must be considered "cool".

Sarum
Sarum
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars History in an entertaining style, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sarum (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me - & I have not been disappointed. Edward Rutherford takes us through the history of Salisbury and its surrounds, starting with pre-historic times. We follow the fortunes of various residents over the periods so it is not dry history but gives us insights into the lives, pleasures, dilemnas, hopes and fears, etc. of typical people of the period. We get a feel for what it was like to live at the various times. It all seems so real. As we meet descendants certain physical and emotional characterists re-emerge so that similar people live in different periods.
I shall certainly be looking out for other works by Edward Rutherford.

TriINKs - Neato CD/DVD LABELS - 100 SELF ADHESIVE LABELS SUITABLE FOR INKJET/LASER PRINTERS. IN PACK OF 50 x A4 SHEETS - EACH WITH 2 LABELS (100 TOTAL) WITH 41 mm CENTER
Offered by Triangle MMA
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at a fraction of the price, 7 Nov 2013
Neato labels are quite expensive - but you need the right ones to use the software - Trinks were so cheap, I thought it worth taking the risk, and bingo they fitted the template perfectly. They might be marginally thinner, so care needed when putting them on the CD, but they worked perfectly. 100 labels for 5, compared with 21. So thoroughly recommend.

The Montalbano Mysteries: Three crime novels of Sicily
The Montalbano Mysteries: Three crime novels of Sicily
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Montalbano, 27 Oct 2013
Loved the TV series, the book didn't disappoint. Well drawn characters, serious but also tongue in cheek funny. A really good read. Sometimes books lose something in the translation or the language can be a little stilted. Not true in this case, the story flowed, and it is English as we know it!

ELC Wooden Alphabet Letters Numbers Building Blocks Bricks Toddler Toy Set
ELC Wooden Alphabet Letters Numbers Building Blocks Bricks Toddler Toy Set
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop
Price: 11.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple well thought out toy, 4 Oct 2013
This was purchased as a present for a 2-year old. He immediately took to it, and was gathering the pieces mainly attracted by the colours. His parents were attracted to the letters, and started spelling words for him. They also saw the possibilities for the numbers, and maths symbols as a learning aid in the future. The family were French, and impressed with the simplicity, but how many possibilities it offered. They also thought it well made - as in wood.

The Kafenion
The Kafenion

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Kafenion (Kindle Edition)
Victoria Hislop is a great author - she just doesn't write fast enough for me, as I keep looking out for her next book! Always well researched and well written. As a short story this was a lighter read than some, such as "The Return", "The Thread" and "The Island". It again gave us the flavour of Greece and her people, and light-heartedly told of the rivalry of two brothers. A good fun book.

The Help
The Help
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking at life from another viewpoint, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
Initially I wasn't sure, but when I got into it I thought it was wonderful. How it felt to be a black servant working for prejudiced white women in the deep South. Their varied experiences. Also how difficult it was for anyone white to show friendship or respect for black people - you would yourself be ostracised. A great read - at times funny, sad, or made you angry. I loved it.

LEGO Games 3844: Creationary
LEGO Games 3844: Creationary
Offered by Top Toy Chest
Price: 34.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all ages, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: LEGO Games 3844: Creationary (Toy)
We bought the game as pensioners for Christmas, as we were entertaining a group of varied ages - we are in our 60s, young people in their 30s, plus their children varying from 3 (it was a bit hard for them) through to 15. We found it great fun, although of course the young people who grew up with Lego found it much easier than us oldies.
A great way of playing together, and the young people insist we must play it together eagain.

A Medal for Leroy
A Medal for Leroy
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Morpurgo I love you, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Medal for Leroy (Kindle Edition)
Michael Morpurgo is a much acclaimed children's author. Well, as I child of 69 I love his books, and this one was no dissapointment. Love, knowing who you are, secrets, prejudice, war and its effects on ordinary people - its all there. An absolute page turner, couldn't put it down.

Page: 1 | 2