Profile for Chloe Wilson > Reviews

Merchant of Venice (2010 edition): Oxford School Shakespeare
Merchant of Venice (2010 edition): Oxford School Shakespeare
by William Shakespeare

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth paying extra, 29 Jun 2014
My favourite Shakespeare play, it is the right combination of humour and sobriety. It deals with revenge, religious divides and justice, while employing wit to deliver these themes. It is a fairly simple plot, which is my only criticism.

The Oxford School Collection comes with a useful commentary on each scene, and with translations and explanations that run along the left-hand side of the page. I remember everyone fighting in English class for these copies, as they are so helpful, whether you have read Shakespeare before or not. It is brilliant for study and I am currently using them to prepare for going off to study English Literature at university.

The Merchant of Venice [DVD] [2004]
The Merchant of Venice [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but not as good as the play, 29 Jun 2014
I absolutely LOVED the play, so was very keen to watch this.

Pacino's portrayal of Shylock, the antagonist, is what makes the film so great. He perhaps strays slightly from the character, adding more of a sense of vulnerability than is conveyed in the play. Still, his acting generates real sympathy and interest for Shylock.

Portia, played by Lynn Collins, is played well and is truly beautiful - as required by the role. However. while she works well as witty Portia, as the young doctor later on, she seriously fails. She is far too feminine to play both parts.

Antonio (Jeremy Irons) is cast well but the other characters seem to have been rushed. Bassanio (Joseph Fiennes) is good but differs greatly, I feel, from the play.

The film is enjoyable but just be aware that it skips lines and somewhat detracts from the originality of the humour in the play.

Postcards From Penguin: 100 Book Jackets in One Box
Postcards From Penguin: 100 Book Jackets in One Box
by Penguin
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gift that is something different, 29 Jun 2014
Bought this for my English teacher as a thankyou present and she was delighted.

Well packaged and a lovely gift for anyone interested in literature

This is the End [DVD] [2013]
This is the End [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen
Offered by Springwood Media

1.0 out of 5 stars WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: This is the End [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I had heard really positive reviews of this and so decided to buy it.

It was truly AWFUL - a film that feels excruciating to watch.

1. Rubbish acting.
2. Crude humour (I tolerate a lot but this was just painful)
3. Embarrassing rather than funny.
4. Overrated.

Why Rogan is regarded as entertainment escapes me.

The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Good acting, terrible plot, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Duchess [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
While the acting was good and costumes well chosen, I felt the film lacked a plot, as if I were constantly waiting for something to happen.

It is a film centered around sex and loveless marriages, but I feel like it was poorly handled, which made for a boring film

Gulliver's Travels
Gulliver's Travels

3.0 out of 5 stars Begins well, soon loses charm, 29 Jun 2014
As an 18 year old reading this book for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it. I'm going off study English Literature and wanted to read some classics, including children's books.

As Gulliver visits Lilliput, the book is very engaging and humorous, as with Brobdingnag, where his circumstances are reversed. However, as the book progresses it loses it's originality and becomes too ludicrous, as if Swift is trying too hard. It felt like a chore to finish it.
It's such a shame as it begins so well.

Remember Me [DVD] [2010]
Remember Me [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Robert Pattinson

1.0 out of 5 stars No plot, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Remember Me [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
From the reviews I had read, I expected a depressing but brilliant movie, that would move me to tears.

To me, the film seriously lacked a decent plot and the acting felt so stiff across the cast. RPatz acts slightly better than in Twilight, but then that really doesn't mean much. Then ending was awful and felt very unconnected and poorly dealt with.

Really disappointing.

Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD]
Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jerome Deschamps
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassing, 18 April 2014
Bought in a shop thinking it was the Dreamworks one, instead: awful graphics, dire music and a dreaful script. Do not waste your time!

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Picture of Dorian Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully harrowing art, 15 April 2014
The book was far more harrowing than I expected, but in a subtle way. The exploits that Dorian finds himself involved in are generally hinted at, but rarely described. It is quite a dark message that is being conveyed, quite different from some of Wilde's other work.

It is slightly slow at some points, such as when it is detailing Dorian's interest of crystals and music etc. but I thoroughly recommend powering through, as the plots twists are so compelling and brilliant.

Despite the nature of the book, I found it affirming to read. It forces you to appreciate and embrace ageing. It is not a long novel and you certainly won't regret reading it - it has become my favourite classic to date.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Nineteen Eighty-Four

4.0 out of 5 stars "Amazing depiction of modern life", 15 April 2014
The books deals with kleptocracy in a haunting way that lingers in your mind even after you're finished. The main character, Winston, makes for a compelling read and this classic is one that I feel we should all read at some point.

I give it 4 stars, instead of 5, because there is one chapter in the middle that is around 40 pages and drags. That aside, it is an amazing depiction of modern life that questions the society we are founded on today.

Page: 1 | 2