Profile for Barbbro2000 > Reviews

Content by Barbbro2000

Barbbro2000 "BeBee" (Dublin)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer

2.0 out of 5 stars good story, but lacks charm and depth, 6 Mar 2013
The women in work were all raving about this book, so I decided to see what the fuss was all about. I haven't read any other Jeffrey Archer books, so didn't really have any idea of what his writing is like to compare it to his other novels.
While I enjoyed the story, and the main character of Harry Clifton is a nice enough guy, he, like all the other characters were two dimensional. Even the mysterious Jack Tar, turned out to dull. It was like he had a great idea of where the character could go, but the formulaic style of the book, did not allow for this type of development.
It also lacked a real sense of realism, circumstances were too contrived. I'm not rushing out to buy books 2 & 3, but I know the women in work cannot wait for the 3rd part. So if you enjoy a good story, and don't care for character development,and character realism then go for it.

The Abortionist's Daughter
The Abortionist's Daughter
by Elisabeth Hyde

3.0 out of 5 stars an easy read, 11 Nov 2008
I enjoyed this book, even though the most provocative thing about is the title. But sometimes, it's enjoyable to read a book that doesn't tax the mind too much, and allows us space away from thinking.
It is predictable, it is trite, but it's also a good easy read.
Real holiday book.

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by Roger Jon Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars if I could, I would give it 6 stars.., 24 Jun 2008
This is a book that grabs your attention, for several reasons. The story is engrossing,a crime novel, that is much more than a whodunnit.
It is beautifully written, and wonderfully descriptive of the American way of life in small town Georgia.
The character, whilst having unbelievable events occur in his his life, is totally believable. His story inspired me, and his losses left me feeling morose.
Half way through, I knew I would be upset to have to finish the book, as I would be finished with something wonderful in my life.

I normally would not buy crime novels, but I am delighted I bought this one. A brilliant read, that makes the hair on your neck stand up.

Kiss Of The Spider Woman (Arena Books)
Kiss Of The Spider Woman (Arena Books)
by Manuel Puig

5.0 out of 5 stars a tapestry of intrigue, 26 Oct 2007
As other reviewers have stated, this book is set in a prison cell in Argentina . The 2 characters are an unlikely pair, Molina an effeminate homosexual and Valentin a member of a guerrilla organistion. It is a tale of their growing relationship, that the enforcement of the prison cell has foisted upon them.

It is an easy book to read,and while it deals with complex issues, I never felt overwhelmed by them.

From Molina's first story about the Panther woman, who is afraid to kiss her husband, in case she murders him, the theme of love, fear and betrayel are set.

Puig has written a brilliant book, that deserves all the acclaim it has gotten. It will leave you thinking, not only about who we love, but also why we love, and I mean to include ideologies as well as people.

The sub text of Freudian's take on homosexuality is interesting too.

I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good book, but it does have an adult theme, so be aware of that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2012 11:49 AM BST

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

3.0 out of 5 stars A simply fascinating book., 12 Oct 2007
I was a bit disappointed with this book, mainly because it has recieved so many rave reviews. I was expecting to be blown away by the whole thing....
However, it is a good read. Niffenegger, manages to make a complex and confusing scenario of time travelling, easily comprehended, and although I found the flow of the book, jarred in the middle, in general, it is brilliantly done.
She doesn't try to hide the impending loss the book is building up too, and has to be praised for that.
A love story, the characters are uncomlicated, (well apart from Henry time travelling), the story is a simple one, life and death and love.

I'll pass it on to my mam, as she enjoys romance, and that is what it is, a romantic fiction

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell

4.0 out of 5 stars a real journey book, 16 Sep 2007
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
the 6 stories in Cloud atlas, stand up on their own merits,but combined together in Cloud Atlas, I found myself wondering where it was all leading.
I really enjoyed the first 4 stories, and the fifth was an interesting romp,however the middle story was a chore to get through.
I found I lost interest, and then when I finished the middle story, I had forgotten some of the details of the other stories, which followed.
An interesting concept, in an enthralling book, but not for everyone.

The Witch of Portobello
The Witch of Portobello
by Paulo Coelho

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, but the writing lets it down, 3 Sep 2007
Paulo Coelho, in my opinion is not known for his brilliance in writing, but more for the underlying spiritual message his books provokes. This book to me, was very typical example of this.
The story itself, told as a narrative to an unknown biographer,is of Athena, a woman who inspired so many people, bewitching, mysterious but ultimately influential. Her story, is as incredible as it's inspiring.

Coelho, delivers on the inspiration, but not on the writing.Buy if a fan.

Live in Dublin (W/Dvd)
Live in Dublin (W/Dvd)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A real joy, 2 Jun 2007
This review is from: Live in Dublin (W/Dvd) (Audio CD)
The point depot in Dublin is quite a small venue, and the sound from this restored depot is brilliant. The album shows Bruce happy and his sheer joyfullness with the music comes across very clearly. It's like the Seeger sessions with more fun added in, and even some of his old songs, like Growing up, are a treat with the new vibe.

You'll find yourself, like the audience, not wanting a song to end, as you will sing along, taken up by the whole experience.

I was at one of the gigs, and I left it feeling happy, and this album has the same effect.

It's fun, it's loud and it's brilliant

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne

2.0 out of 5 stars it's all been done before., 19 May 2007
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I read a newspaper article which claimed this type of book take away responsibility from the governments , and places the blame on individuals if your life is a misery.... whether you want to agree with that is another thing, however I would recommend The Game of Life and how to play it, by Florence Scovell Shinn, written over 70 years ago, and still in print, for real enlightenment, and guidance in how to use words and thought to make positive changes in your life.

Body Surfing
Body Surfing
by Anita Shreve

4.0 out of 5 stars Shreve delivers, 19 May 2007
This review is from: Body Surfing (Hardcover)
The story centres around Sydney, a twice married, once a widow, once divorced woman who spends a summer teaching a slow girl in her parents summer home. When the two older brothers arrive home, she finds herself caught up in a family with issues that are not fully apparent to the reader, or to the main character.

Shreve, who is brilliant at the understatement, brings the reader on Sydneys journey of love, and a sibling rivalry that ultimately shatters a new found contentment.

I guessed where the story was leading, but that was maybe because of similar circumstances in my family,this however did not take away from the main thrust of the book.

A book that brings questions about love, family and trust to the forefront. The title body surfing, a pursuit, where a person throws themselves onto a wave, and gets carried along for the thrill, not knowing where the surf will place us, is a very apt name for this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3