Profile for Firefly1 > Reviews

No Drums, No Trumpets
No Drums, No Trumpets
by Alec Le Vernoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to a great read, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: No Drums, No Trumpets (Hardcover)
I've only dipped into this book so far, and am looking forward to settling down to read it properly. It seems beautifully written and very evocative. What an amazing man!

New Kilo Kitchen Large Heavy Duty Chrome Chunky Deluxe Trivet Worktop Protector
New Kilo Kitchen Large Heavy Duty Chrome Chunky Deluxe Trivet Worktop Protector
Offered by Colanders

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought another one!, 25 Aug 2014
Bought this to match one I already had. Stylish & practical - but sadly not available in the shops round here any more, which is why I bought it off amazon.

Pilot GEL PEN G2-7 ORANGE
Pilot GEL PEN G2-7 ORANGE
Offered by HaberCrafts

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gel pens + new colour, 23 May 2014
I've been using these gel pens for years and they're the best ones around, in my opinion. They're comfortable to hold/use if you have RSI-type muscular problems and need to avoid thin pens; and they write smoothly without clogging/blotting. Whenever I lend one of mine to someone, they always comment on what a good pen it is. I hadn't seen an orange one before, so I bought it for a bit of fun. It's perfectly legible.

YooUSB 8GB Novelty Cool Grey Shark USB Flash Key Pen Drive Memory Stick Gift UK
YooUSB 8GB Novelty Cool Grey Shark USB Flash Key Pen Drive Memory Stick Gift UK
Offered by hotbuying

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a present, 23 May 2014
Bought as a present, and it was much appreciated. It's a cool design and it works. And men are so difficult to buy for...

Weasels
Weasels
by Elys Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for adults, too!, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Weasels (Paperback)
I bought this as a present for my spouse, and he loved it. In our case, it had a lot of in-jokes in it, which probably helped, but it's a really cute book anyway.

Anime Studio Debut 9 (PC/Mac)
Anime Studio Debut 9 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Limestone

1.0 out of 5 stars Today, I hate it (but maybe that will change), 5 Mar 2014
Sorry, but right now I do hate it, hence the 1 star.

I've just finished all the tutorials which come with the product and yes, I can do them and get the results they specify - but if I step away from these carefully-prepared, almost finished examples, then whatever I try to do doesn't work. Things don't appear to function as the manual says they will, or I can't find any information about them at all. The simplest things don't work properly, and I have no idea whether it's a fault in the software or whether I simply can't discover the right way to do it. Time and again, I try to do something which seems easy (including things which ARE easy in other software), only to find I can't get it to work properly. I think the tutorials give you a false sense of security because they guide you down one specified, carefully prepared route and tell you exactly what to do in the few final steps which are required to make a little animation do something. But that doesn't mean that once you've done the tutorials you can start from scratch and get the same results.

Perhaps if you just use the ready-prepared figures you could make an animation with them; but I bought this software because I wanted to make my own characters, and I'm finding it impossible at the moment. The annoying thing is, I think this software - or maybe the Pro version - can actually do a lot of interesting things; but it's not intuitive at all (in spite of what it says on the box, literally) and if the documentation isn't comprehensive, what are you supposed to do?

I know there are tutorials online, and I've seen loads of them. But I haven't found any which cover the things I'm having problems with. I've checked out the forums but again, nothing. How on earth are you supposed to find out how to make it work?

I'm an artist and I've done previous animation which required me to subvert some non-animation software and be extremely creative and inventive to make my animations work. They do work, and they give me a lot less stress than this animation software is giving me. I bought it to make my life easier: I thought bone-rigging was the answer to the limitations I was coming up against. It still might be, and I want to try it, which is why it's so frustrating that this potentially useful software seems, at the moment, completely useless to me.

If, somehow, I can find out how to use it, then great. Otherwise, it's going in the bin.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2014 10:22 AM BST

Stingray: The Complete Series [DVD] [1964]
Stingray: The Complete Series [DVD] [1964]
Dvd ~ Don Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, the memories..., 30 Jan 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present for my husband, who loved it as a child. As soon as it came on he was captivated all over again!

Twilight Zone - Season Two [DVD]
Twilight Zone - Season Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Cummings

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great (maybe not DVD One), 30 Jan 2014
All these episodes were new to us. The video quality is excellent, though the format of a few episodes is a bit odd.

I don't know if this has the same (fixable) problem as series 1, as we didn't try to watch it with future recording programmed into the DVD recorder, but in case anyone has a problem, here's what I found out for series 1, from my review of that:

'At first we had trouble playing it but an internet search gave us the answer: we'd set the DVD recorder to record timed TV programmes and needed to delete all future recording requests before the DVD would play, because of the difference in formats. I hadn't come across that problem before, but at least it had an easy answer.'

With this series, we were severely disappointed with the first DVDful of episodes: they didn't seem up to the quality of series 1 and we thought maybe we'd seen all the good ones and would stop buying them. If you feel the same way, don't give up but keep watching! The quality of the stories increases markedly, back up to the level of series 1, and we watched the last one (The Obsolete Man) virtually open-mouthed. If ever there was a parable for the clash of values in modern day Britain, this is it.

So far, we've only watched the first of the interviews on the last DVD. It was excellent, and Rod Serling comes across as a really nice guy. And the smoking is hilarious!

I got this for my spouse for Christmas, and we like it enough to order the other series later.

Good Hair [DVD]
Good Hair [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening but uneven, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Good Hair [DVD] (DVD)
I had no idea about the politics/geography/commerce of hair, so this film was a complete revelation. Actually, I was so ignorant of all hair ideas that I always assumed people just had hair of a certain type, were happy with it and didn't do anything to it, because that's the way I was. I avoided hair salons like the plague. Then I decided to get a real style and found out the truth about hair: hair types, fashions, upkeep and the perceived hierarchy of good/bad hair, and people's attitudes to the topic. It's like a new world opened up, and that's why I bought this DVD: to extend my knowledge of how people feel about their hair and what they do to make it look the way it does. The film delivered, and then some. It was informative, funny and surprising.

I would've given it 5 stars but for the repeated re-visiting of a hairstyling competition, which I didn't think was compelling enough to justify its repeated inclusion. However, the rest of the film was amazing.

I Flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman
I Flew for the Fuhrer: Story of a German Airman
by Heinz Knoke

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing story, 13 Jan 2014
I ordered a copy as a gift for my military historian husband, who'd never heard of it. He loved it!

It's the story of one man's war, and it's a great read - he couldn't put it down and would regularly update me as to what the pilot was up to.

Page: 1 | 2