Profile for Firefly1 > Reviews

100 Hits - Northern Soul
100 Hits - Northern Soul
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots for the money, 20 April 2015
Loads of songs, some classics which I was looking for, some I knew but had forgotten and some new to me. Still working my way through them (and dancing round the kitchen).

RHINO S10 A4 File Paper (Pack of 500)
RHINO S10 A4 File Paper (Pack of 500)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good to find large-squared paper, 20 April 2015
It's good to find large-squared paper, but the surface is a little ink-resistant when I use a slightly blobbier gel pen, and I end up smearing ink on my hand. Fine when used with a better gel pen like a G2, though.

21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)
21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)
by Steve Stack

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 April 2015
Brought back a lot of memories!

The Black Hole [DVD] (1979)
The Black Hole [DVD] (1979)
Dvd ~ Maximilian Schell

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, my husband did! I thought it was ..., 20 April 2015
This review is from: The Black Hole [DVD] (1979) (DVD)
Well, my husband did! I thought it was OK for its time - we saw it at the cinema when it first came out, so it was just a bit of nostalgia, really.

Interstellar [DVD] [2014]
Interstellar [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey

1.0 out of 5 stars as we've loved other things by Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer, 20 April 2015
This review is from: Interstellar [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
We started watching this with high hopes, as we've loved other things by Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer. We knew people had said it was hard to make out the words, but didn't realise how bad it was until we had to stop it, go back and turn on English subtitles and start again. The only people who were incomprehensible for us were Matthew McConaughey & Anne Hathaway - we had no problem with anyone else and it was risible that in an early scene, the young girl playing Murph came across as a much better actor than MM, who seemed overly mannered as well as incomprehensible.

As lifelong fans of written and filmed science fiction, we understood the plot but it still didn't stand up for us.Too much was contradictory or nonsensical when you examined it. It felt more like a written-out daydream than a proper film/book plot. I found MM's character completely unsympathetic/unengaging and I thought 'Coop' came across as creepy in his obsession with 'Murph' (even the names make me cringe). Other characters just seemed like cardboard cutouts, wheeled on as necessary.

The music was a real let-down, too. I normally love Hans Zimmer's music, but this was noticeable and at times too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack. I always think if you're aware of the music in a film or TV programme, there's something wrong. Great film music adds to the film without intruding on your attention.

How anyone can think this is a great film is beyond me. *** SPOILER *** To give just one example, when 'Coop' comes back at the end and meets 'Murph', surrounded by her - AND THEREFORE HIS - family, does he even acknowledge them, or the fact that his daughter has lived a full life? Does he ask her if she's been happy? Does he even ask her how she is? From my recollection, no he doesn't. He just obsesses a bit more about him and her, and that's it. It's as if nobody exists except him, which is why I said that to me, it's more like a self-aggrandizing daydream. There's nothing wrong with having one of those, but I don't think it should be made into a film. Or if it is, it needs a lot of expansion in order to make a decent story with believeable characters.

Such a shame.

Nail Art 50 Full Fimo Cane Rods Including Craft Blade & Salon Glue by Boolavard
Nail Art 50 Full Fimo Cane Rods Including Craft Blade & Salon Glue by Boolavard
Offered by Boolevard Cosmetics Ltd. (UK Seller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good variety of designs, 11 Dec. 2014
Bought as part of a nail art gift, so not used yet, but they look fine. I got half a dozen each of insects and flowers, a dozen fruits, a couple of Christmas designs, a very good Union Jack and an assortment of logos and animal heads. I've thrown away the glue after reading comments here; but the blade is better than I was expecting.

Apples To Pears Ladies Pink Folding Secateurs - gardening gifts for her! Birthday, Christmas
Offered by Easy Gift Solutions

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but didn't work for me, 25 Nov. 2014
I bought these at a smart garden centre*, as they looked useful to a gardener and flower arranger like me.

However, the first time I used the secateurs, the closing action caught the skin of my hand at the base of my index finger, very painfully. I tried to avoid this by varying the position of the handles in my hand and being careful as I cut, but I found the curve of the handles could still cause the secateurs to slide under pressure and trap the skin.

Maybe if I was wearing hefty leather gardening gloves I would've been OK, but (a) I don't have this problem with any of my regular secateurs and (b) wearing hefty gardening gloves doesn't match this dainty, transportable product and would make flower arranging impossible. After trying them on several occasions and not being able to avoid trapping the skin of my hand, I threw the secateurs away.

I didn't try the saw. I tried the knife and on geranium (pelargonium) cuttings, it wasn't very effective: I've had much better gardening knives.

It's a real shame, as this is a great idea. It just didn't work for me. Since other reviewers use it happily, maybe my hands are older (looser skin?) or chubbier or something.

* I've just found the original box and they are indeed this maker and this product.

NAIL ART x24 HEXAGON GLITTER GLASS MINI BOTTLES MANICURE DECORATION ACCESSORIES
NAIL ART x24 HEXAGON GLITTER GLASS MINI BOTTLES MANICURE DECORATION ACCESSORIES
Offered by wholesale solutions ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, super colours, 19 Nov. 2014
The bottles are tiny, but a little glitter goes a long, long way! All the colours are exactly as in the photo; roughly half are a plain colour and half are iridescent - no holographic ones, but I wasn't expecting any. The bottles are easy to open and secure when stoppered.

I experimented with applying one of the glitters, and found it worked best to tip out just a few flakes, load a brush with clear top coat, dab it into the glitter and paint it on as normal. I tried just painting on a top coat and then sprinkling some glitter on, but it didn't apply as well and the glitter felt grittier afterwards. I prefer these little hexagons to powdery glitter, which I've never got on with.

I'd recommend these, they're great fun in a lovely range of colours.

Pilot G207 Retractable Gel Rollerball 0.7 mm Tip (Box of 12) - Black
Pilot G207 Retractable Gel Rollerball 0.7 mm Tip (Box of 12) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars They're simply the best around, and very comfortable to use, 15 Nov. 2014
I use these pens all the time, and have for years. They're simply the best around, and very comfortable to use.

50x Clear False Nail Art Tips Sticks polish Display Fan for Practice salon
50x Clear False Nail Art Tips Sticks polish Display Fan for Practice salon
Offered by ChanceryChairCover

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a gift so not used yet. Forgot ..., 15 Nov. 2014
Bought as a gift so not used yet. Forgot it was supposed to make a fan, so the metal post and screw confused me for a minute!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4