Profile for Caleb Williams > Reviews

Contract Law
Contract Law
by Catherine Elliott
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Elliott & Quinn - So you want to study Law, but struggle with the lingo, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Contract Law (Paperback)
I've just finished my first year of studies and I must say, there was no way I was going to get as high a mark in my Contract Law, that I achieved, had it not been for this book. Not on our recommended reading list, I bought this book purely through a recommendation from a friend who has studied law prior to me. When I first began my studies I struggled with it due to the more complex language which primarily used in most of the recommended texts, and I find that a lot of them will use quite complex language that you will struggle to get your head around. This may appear the complaint of someone who's a bit thick and should probably study something simpler, but I know this is a complaint shared by a vast number of Law students across the country. Sure, the more complex Law textbooks are essential in order for you to gain a good mark overall, but this is a great starting point for introducing you the more complicated concepts such as promissory estoppel and consideration. Only when you understand them on a simple footing, can you them move onto the more complicated textbooks.

Consider it in the context of learning how to read for the first time. You wouldn't expect a 4 year old to be able to pick up War and Peace and them be able to explain to you the complexities of the Napoleonic wars, you'd expect them to begin with something like Biff & Kipper, then move onto something bigger until they can cope with such an immense novel. It's the same thing with Law. You need to start off simple, and this is the book to do it. Treitel on the Law of Contract is an essential text for those involved in Law on all levels; Solicitor's, Barristers and even Lecturers will purchase the various updated additions as a means of keeping up to date with the various changes in Contract Law, but the language and the formatting of it can be way too complex for a student first approaching the subject. Yet, it can be understood more easily, if you learn of the basic concepts and key cases from this. I now have both and used Treitel's book as a way of being given a more detailed look into the legal workings, but began with Elliott & Quinn.

I believe all Universities should have this on their recommended reading as a way of easing people into studying the subject. The same goes with their book for Tort Law (The Elliott & Quinn Series) as it provides a simple introduction to the subject while giving you a basis to move onto the more complex areas.

The subject contents are:

14. Discharge of the Contract
15. Remedies

Part 6 Consumer protection
16. Consumer contracts

Within each section it contains "case boxes" which will show you a key case in a particular area, give you the facts of that case and try to put it in an easier context which the reader may find easier to understand. If you're embarking on a Law degree and fear you may struggle with the lingo, then this should definitely gain a place on your book shelf.

Canon PG37 Original Ink Cartridge
Canon PG37 Original Ink Cartridge
Price: 11.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 July 2010
You can get excellent quality printing from this, and when used efficiently, they can last for an astonishingly long time.

Key Readings in Criminology
Key Readings in Criminology
by Tim Newburn
Price: 38.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of very good pieces of writing from very prominent Criminologists, 25 July 2010
For anybody studying Criminology, this is the type of book that you will need at some point as there are many subjects within that you will touch upon during your 3 year full time undergraduate studies. Tim Newburn's books are highly recommended to help with studying Criminology and I can only emphasise that recommendation, as it certainly helped me pass my Criminology module in my first year.

Blackstone's Statutes on Contract, Tort and Restitution  2009-2010 (Blackstone's Statute Series)
Blackstone's Statutes on Contract, Tort and Restitution 2009-2010 (Blackstone's Statute Series)
by Francis Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for those studying Law, 25 July 2010
This is a really good reference book for those studying Law. It contains relevant pieces of legislation relating to the important parts of Contract and Tort law that any Law student will come across in their studies. Thankfully, in my University, we were permitted to take this into our exams whenever we had to make reference to any piece of legislation. Most people will borrow it from a library or pick it up cheap from somewhere else as they will only intend on using it for the year of their studies, but I would recommend that if you're serious about progressing further into the legal profession after your initial studies, then this will undoubtedly be something you will need to refer back to now and again.

Long Walk to Freedom
Long Walk to Freedom
by Nelson Mandela

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Long Walk to Freedom (Hardcover)
I've always had a great admiration for Nelson Mandela, but have only known the very basics about his life and political career. Whenever I saw him on TV I was always captivated by the man who had ruled a nation, yet seemed so grounded and modest that I could only respect him. I have to admit that up to the point of reading this book I was totally ignorant to the extremities of apartheid in South Africa for which Mr. Mandela had given his entire life to beating. I have now read these wonderful memoirs in their entirety and must say my admiration and respect for the man has increased to a level I genuinely cannot describe. Having an interest in history, this was undoubtedly a book that I had to read at some point, but up until this point I had, in my mind, placed the struggle against apartheid along the same lines as the civil rights movement in the United States; but I have now come to realise that, although there are similarities, there are a lot more differences.

One of the most glaring differences between the two, which Mr. Mandela touched upon in his memoirs, was that in the United States the black population were guaranteed equal rights through their constitution but simply had these taken away from them by the racist political elites, whereas in South Africa, there was legislation and laws forbidding equality to the black majority of the country and this helps distinguish very clearly the route Mr. Mandela had to take in beating apartheid. I'm not going to say much about the story itself as it's one to be read and enjoyed first hand, but I will give my impressions on Mr. Mandela which were gained purely from reading his memoirs. I gained the impression that he has always been aware he's not perfect, nor is he one that thinks he's always right. He is a man that shows respect to every person he meets, but he won't shy away from an argument or a battle when he is attacked either verbally or physically. He's a man of reflection and integrity; he will look back on a past decision and say honestly whether it was the right or wrong call of the time. He's a man who has a lot of love and respect for all of his family, political friends and his country. He has given all of his life in the pursuit of freedom for his country, and he deserves out respect for that.

He has a remarkable story to tell and it would be a shame if anyone who read this review or at some point had seen this book whilst browsing and skipped past it without even considering what they could learn. I've now an enormous appreciation for the fight which Mr. Mandela put up against the immense oppression of the South African government; and perhaps it has a greater message to send. The message we can all take from this is that, no matter how big the government or how powerful the oppression, the strength of human will and desire can truly overcome any obstacle thrown at it. Mr. Mandela also expresses a very strong message about there being goodness in all of us, no matter how much we try to hide it. He shows compassion towards those who were once his enemies as he realises that they are all good people at heart, and it is him and those like him that must teach those in the world whose job it is to hate, exactly how much better it is to love your enemy.

Beautiful life story of a beautiful man. You must own this book.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 8:41 AM GMT

Generation Kill
Generation Kill
by Evan Wright
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Read, 19 Jun 2010
This review is from: Generation Kill (Paperback)
To sum it up in a brief sentence; I've never read a book like it. Every page, paragraph, sentence and word I was hooked from start to finish. Evan Wright is a truly gifted writer that managed to capture the raw brutality of War and the mixture of emotions that come with it to create a book that taught you so much whilst entertaining you at the very same time. Laughter, horror and raw sadness were just some of the emotions I was put through as a result of reading this book. In its context, I struggle to find a flaw with this perfectly crafted, deeply honest account of Wrights time accompanying the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion of the United States Marine Corps during the invasion of Iraq.

Initially released as a three part series featured in Rolling Stone magazine, author Evan Wright was placed with Recon Marines to follow them and take an account of the invasion of Iraq. As with most journalists, you would expect Wright to be placed at the back out of the way of any danger, but during the entire book, Wright is smack bang in the middle of the war which has undoubtedly won him the respect he gained. Throughout the time Wright spends with the Marines, he reveals a purely brutal atmosphere that is both comical and frightening at the same time.

The team Wright spends most of his travelling time with in a Humvee consist of Sergeant Brad `Iceman' Colbert, Corporal Josh Ray Person, Corporal Harold James Trombley and Corporal Gabe Garza (switched a short time after with Corporal Walt Hasser). Although these are the main team, there are a lot more secondary characters mentioned in the book drawn from Second Platoon and some come across a bit more interesting. Sergeant Antonio Espera or First Lieutenant Nathaniel `Nate' Fick are the two more interesting secondary characters whose parts I really enjoyed reading. The incompetence of the higher ups in Second Platoon comes across quite shockingly to consider exactly how people, with such blatant lack of ability, can reach a position to be in command of an entire fleet.

When you first start reading, it's fairly easy to misunderstand the humour and actions of the Marines as being cold, callous and uncaring and you can very easily mistake that as being the Marines core personality. However, when you read on, Wright reveals that the dark humour or the supposed uncaring nature of the Marines is simply a coping measure as a way of dealing with the sheer horror of seeing mangled corpses of Iraqi soldiers, civilians and even in some cases children. The banter between Marines is as laugh out loud funny as it is childish as it almost entirely consists of racial, gay or some other kind of insult that in the civilian world would have no place.

War is a horrible thing. I don't think anyone would deny that. And in this book Evan Wright gives the anti-war protestors some ammo they could use to enforce their cause, but he also presents a lighter side that you would really struggle to sincerely understand unless you were in the position yourself. He presents the beautiful camaraderie formed between the Marines who, in some senses, through the time spent with Wright, have formed a kind of unbreakable brotherhood that is only strengthened by the horrors that surround them. The stories told in this book are of sincerely good men. They're men who find themselves in a truly alien situation that no amount of training and rules can really prepare them for. You understand their humanity and their hatred. You understand their purposes and their ideologies. And you understand that regardless of what we think of the war, they're over there putting their lives on the line and they deserve praise and respect for the job they're doing, and Wright deserves praise for telling their story.

Brilliant book. Buy it. Or give the HBO Mini-series a watch as it stays very close to the story told in the book.

The Symposium (Penguin Classics)
The Symposium (Penguin Classics)
by Plato
Price: 7.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatly Accessible, 5 Jun 2010
As one of the prior reviewers has stated, reading a piece of Fourth Century BCE philosophy may fill you with dread, and before opening this book, I was filled with just that. However, as I started reading I was instantly put at ease. The language of the translation itself and the introduction made what seemed to be such a complex piece of ancient philosophy, easily accessible. I would strongly recommend it to those with just a passing interest in ancient Greek philosophy then this is the translation for you.

Freud- The Key Ideas: Teach Yourself
Freud- The Key Ideas: Teach Yourself
by Ruth Snowden
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book for Referencing Freud, 4 Jun 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For anyone even with a passing interest in Psychology or the mind of Sigmund Freud, then this is an excellent starting point to get you well on your way to studying the man. It provides useful and informative breakdowns of the more important aspects of Freud's entire life and his most important and influential ideas. I'm not going to use this review as a way of giving a brief rundown of the man and his work, as that's what the book is for. So if you do have an interest in Psychology and you may even be considering to study it in the future, then this is a great and easy to understand starting point to get a bit of background information on what his ideas are really all about.

My Name is Khan [DVD]
My Name is Khan [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shahrukh Khan
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Emotional Masterpiece, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: My Name is Khan [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been wanting to see this or a while and only managed to get the chance tonight. I was expecting a lot, as the trailer made it seem inspirational, and recommendations from friends only enforced that expectation. I have to say that not only were my expectations met, but they were surpassed. It is a truly beautiful film in every possible way. The story it has to tell, the way it is shot, the actors and their characters, the overall feel of the film is just absolutely stunning. I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotion as one moment I would be laughing my head off, and the next I'd be literally in tears. This film is not just here to entertain and make money (although I'm hoping it does a lot of both), but it sends out a very important and poignant message about the image of Islam in the world since the shocking and terrible events of 9/11. Not just Islam, but it sends out a message about all religion with the use of a very simple statement; "Good people who do good deeds. Bad People who do bad. There is no other difference". Such a strong message to send and it says something so simple. We're all human and regardless of the religion we live by or the culture we have, our deeds are what make us good or bad people and not those labels applied by those other parts of our lives.

The story follows the journey of Rizwan Khan (Shah Rukh Khan), a Muslim man with Asperger's Syndrome as he writes a letter to his wife Mandira (Kajol) while he is on a journey to give the President of the United States a message; "My Name Is Khan, and I am not a Terrorist". Through this letter he is writing, we come to learn about the emotions he truly feels and can't express when speaking due to his condition. We learn about his upbringing with his brother Zakir and his Mother in Mumbai, his arrival in America to work with his brother and his eventual falling in love with the woman who would be his wife, Mandira. Rizwan achieves the impossible. He has made a happy life for himself in America and kept a promise he made to his Ammi. This happiness is not to last, however, as the tragedy of 9/11 occurs turning Riwan and Mandira's life upside down in very frightening and tragic ways. The stereotyping of the Muslim terrorist begins to make its mark on the couple and put a strain on their relationship but, one day things hit rock bottom and their son, Sameer (Yuvaan Makaar) is killed in a racially motivated attack. This is the final straw and the relationship breaks apart and Rizwan is told to leave and in the heat of the moment, only to return when he has given the message to the US President.

Out of my little description, I've missed out so much. There's a lot to take in from this film and something that you will enjoy as the film runs. Shah Rukh Khan deserves a very prestigious western award for his role in this film. Possibly even going as high up as an Oscar (although I'm sure there's some rule that would prevent that from ever happening) as his performance is magnificent and he is truly deserving of wider recognition in the western world. He steals the show as the personality and mannerisms of the character are maintained beautifully throughout, from the twitching of the neck to simply the way he speaks. There are times when his traits are hilarious, and others when they are frankly annoying. But you never lose sight of the genuine and caring nature of this character and you become adoring of his flaws as they simply vale what is a very sweet personality.

This, in a sense, gives you more of a respectful understanding of the condition and how difficult it may be to cope with, especially in social circumstances, when you want to say something, but simply cannot express it the way you want. The message of everyone being simply being defined as being part of one of two groups, good or bad people, is one that I truly admire and taking on the topic of religion during such a raw and emotional time, and offering it from the perspective of an Asian family is a very brave and meaningful move.

A beautiful film with a beautiful message, and by far the best film I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

All That Follows
All That Follows
by Jim Crace

2.0 out of 5 stars I Expected More, 1 Jun 2010
This review is from: All That Follows (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When looking at the back of the book, it's printed with; "Hostages are seized across town. The Gunman's Face Appears on TV. Leonard recognises him as an old friend. He has a choice to make." From this you'd be forgiven for thinking you're going to get an action packed rollercoaster ride of an action, thriller novel. What you actually get is a dull, lifeless attempt at building tension and actually leaves you feeling more exhausted than thrilled. Looking through other reviews, it seems like others feel the same way, in that they felt duped, expecting a thrill-ride but getting something that breaks down about a quarter of the way through.

The story focuses around Leonard Lessins; a very talented Jazz musician who's taking some time off due to an injury. On the news is a hostage taker who Leonard recognises as old acquaintance, Maxim Lermontov and gradually you become aware that Maxim is the type of man Leonard has always wanted to be. You see, Leonard is the cliché wet blanket who, throughout his entire life has taken the easy road, the path of least resistance and although he's had his successful Jazz career, he's always aspired to do something more politically relevant, and now is his chance to do something exciting. Well not really.

Perhaps this is where the book fails. By no means is it a bad book. Crace is a stunningly brilliant writer, filling the scenes with immense detail to let you know early on exactly what your main character is all about, and the scenes of Leonard's musical past are especially well done. Being given an expectation of it falling within a particular genre is where it failed for me. I found myself reading on and on waiting for something exciting to happen and it simply never did.

If the tagline of sorts had not been printed on the back, creating an expectation of something that never arrived, I possibly would have enjoyed this more than I did.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20