Profile for h3donist > Reviews

h3donist

Page: 1 | 2
Marbella Sessions 2015
Marbella Sessions 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars The sound of summer of 2015 - if you ignore the end of CD2, 8 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Marbella Sessions 2015 (Audio CD)
With Ministry churning out compilations left right and center these days it's hard to get excited by one of their releases, however I've had this album in the car for a couple of days now and I'm enjoying most of it. A good mix of up to date and slightly older deep/bassline house tracks mixed well by Colin Francis - always a bonus to have songs mixed by a human being instead of a work experience sound engineer with an Apple Mac and some software, though the mixes are all clean so there may have been some post production "cleaning".

Most of the tracks seem well fitted for the genre and while some maybe a bit "charty" they tend to be deep house remixes so there's something new for everyone. I'm really enjoying this bassline house revival as a nice antidote from years of EDM cheese and naff "donk donk donk bangin' choons" dirge.

My only gripe is the fact that the end of CD2, he has bizarrely chosen to feature AVH - You Don't Know Me, Saxobeat and Salsoul Nugget (If You Wanna) - these are aging tracks from the days of house in the late 90s/00s and don't seem to have any relevance to the style of music on offer here, plus any dance music fan would have heard these tracks dozens of times before. Surely another three deep house tracks to fit in with the general ethos of the current sound would have been a better choice. Still they're at the end of the CD so easily skippable if you so wish.

So if you are enjoying the bass line sound of 2014/15 and fancy a good compilation to reflect that then this is the CD for you.

MANIC PANIC Flashlightening - Complete Maximum Hair Lightening Kit - Complete Bleach Kit
Offered by Blue Banana Alternative Fashion

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 8 Jun. 2015
Did the job - though it made my hair a bit "lemony" looking but worked fine.

Womens Mens Adult Unisex Fleece Animal Onesies Pyjamas Sleepsuit Dinosaur Size XL
Offered by CAR1981

4.0 out of 5 stars RAWR!, 23 May 2015
Bit baggy but I am tall and thin so I wasn't expecting a tailored fit (because apparently all tall people are fat too) - very comfy and well made. Perfect for lounging around, pretending to be a dinosaur. ;)

Trance Nation Mixed By Andy Moor
Trance Nation Mixed By Andy Moor

5.0 out of 5 stars A trance CD that gives me goosebumps once more...thank you Andy Moor, 23 May 2015
Wow....what can I say? I've been after a "proper" trance CD for a long long time and have found nothing but dull remixes of already dull house tunes and "classics/anthems" CDs that repeat the same 20-30 trance anthems from the late 90s we've heard thousands of times before; chopped up and edited right down to cater for the iPod generation with short attention spans. So after reading the reviews I ordered a copy to play in the car.

Within four tracks I was feeling the long forgotten feelings of euphoria passing through my body, giving me goosebumps and making me feel like I am flying - just as trance should be. Every tune more evocative than the last, and reminiscent of the original Trance Nation and early Euphoria CDs before they succumbed to the same commercial, uninspired tracklistings as the other compilations on the market.

This my friends is proper trance music. Lots of breathy epic female vocals without going all "Clubland" on us, massive synth hooks, the songs allowed to flow and develop as the musicians had intended (not edited right down so they can fit 25 tracks on each disc). There are many highlights to this CD, but my ultimate favourite is the mix in CD 2 between tracks 11, 12 and 13 (Arctic Kiss (Feat. Tiff Lacey) - Motionchild & Will Holland, People - DJ Eco and Remember Me - Ben Preston) where the stunning bright vocals of Arctic Kiss are replaced by an epic, dark almost industrial sound of People, which then mixes back the bright sound of Remember Me as if it were a battle between light and dark. A true rollercoaster of emotional trance and some of the most powerful music I have ever had the pleasure of hearing.

So if you want to go back to the days of pure, uplifiting trance without having to retread the old classics we've heard thousands of times before, get this CD. You will not be disappointed.

Godskitchen Pure Trance Anthems 2011
Godskitchen Pure Trance Anthems 2011
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to rave about (pun intended), 16 Mar. 2015
This is a real challenge for me to review. I am a massive fan of Godskitchen's compilations but this was harder to leave a positive review for.

This compilation seems to waver from their usual standard of emotional trance, instead focussing on of a more housey tip that lurches between tech house, piano, progressive, then touches trance for a few tracks before becoming muted and dubby again. Lots of filler tracks and obscure remixes of vocal house songs. It's not really my cup of tea at all. I find myself scratching my head as to some of the choices here and skipping a few. There are some high points however, namely the incredible Vegas Baby! remix of Sureal's "Take My Breath Away" and Ali Wilson's epic "Pandora" ending disc 1 with a tribal feel.

It's a good CD for the car if you like all sorts of dance music, but for fans of trance this may not be the compilation you are looking for.

Soundbar MSXB-250
Soundbar MSXB-250
Offered by Picsio

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped..., 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Soundbar MSXB-250 (Electronics)
I purchased my first ever large screen TV this year, and while the picture is wonderfully clear, the sound was like listening to a swarm of bees playing comb+paper in a bucket. Very tinny and zero bass or midrange. Pretty standard for flat screen TVs these days so I was in the market for either a soundbar, a base or a home cinema system. My TV isn't wall mounted so a soundbar would look pretty silly resting on the TV stand it's on, blocking the remote control input, and I didn't want to drape wires going to multiple speakers around my lounge, so the Maxwell MSXB 250 seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

I must say I was disappointed. It adds plenty of bass (we don't even have the subwoofer turned onto max - just the lowest setting is enough for us) but nothing to the midrange, so now we have a tinny sounding TV with a bass that we worry will disturb the neighbours. No amount of tweaking or tuning has improved things (the soundbase only allows you three levels of bass ("off", "thunderous" and "brown note").

I am giving this three stars as it has improved the sound to a degree, just not as pleasing to the ear as I thought it would.

Tiger 2nd Tier Keyboard Stand Extension
Tiger 2nd Tier Keyboard Stand Extension

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I needed, 30 Sept. 2014
Perfect for what I needed. It is now holding a Yamaha SY22 synth, all seem secure and sturdy. Now just have to learn how to play the damn thing..........

Tiger Double Keyboard Stand and Securing Straps
Tiger Double Keyboard Stand and Securing Straps

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I needed, 30 Sept. 2014
Perfect for what I needed. It is now holding a very heavy Casio CT-460 with a Yamaha SY22 synth on top using a 2nd tier bracket, all seem secure and sturdy. Now just have to learn how to play the damn things..........

Mash Up Mix EDM
Mash Up Mix EDM
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars When will the Cut Up Boys choose some different music?!, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mash Up Mix EDM (Audio CD)
First, the good news: The mixing and track selection is by and large fine, there are some fine moments here (as well as occasional weak points, but as a collector of the Mashup Series I've come to expect the odd "wobble") but EDM fans will enjoy this.

BUT

They've used the same half a dozen accapellas they've used on practically ever other mashup series so far! Again! If you are a dance music fan and Mashup collector like me, you might be sick of hearing Soulsearcher's "I Can't Get Enough", "Whoomp there it is!", "Get Up and Dance" and X Press 2 "Lazy" (among others) being squeezed onto every mashup compilation but yet again there are here. There's nearly 30 years of amazing dance music out there that could feature, rather than the same half a dozen tracks every single time. It's almost like they are obliged to squeeze them on somehow, even if it doesn't add anything to the mix.

EDM fans and newbies to the Mashup Series will love this - but collectors of the series be warned, you'll be skipping more tunes than you'll play.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant brilliant brilliant!, 2 July 2014
The old adage "you get what you pay for" is usually pretty accurate, however in this case the Cubot P9 is a brilliant phone. Not just "for the price" but a decent phone full stop (although the bargain price is a bonus)

The dual sim feature means I can fit my work phone sim, assign all my work contacts to use that sim only and keep all my personal contacts and data usage on my home sim - no more carrying two phones around and juggling them when both ring at once!

The 5" QHD screen is nice and bright, the touch very responsive and sharp. I've installed a lot of apps and watched videos with no detectable lag thanks to the dual core processor. It came with a decent flip case and a second battery which was a nice touch. All my Samsung and iPhone owning colleagues seem very impressed (and a little jealous considering they pay in two months contract repayments what I've paid for the phone full stop!)

I was a little worried about ordering a cheap phone after reading reports of some brands being preinstalled with Malware, however this doesn't appear to affect the Cubot range and people can buy with confidence.

Highly recommended!